collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming antelope?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Wyoming antelope?
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:24:09 AM »
Has anybody hunted  units 20 21 or 23 for antelope?  Any problems getting permission to hunt private property, im getting maps right now but was there much public land?  Would it be relistic for two people to tag ten animals in seven days?,.  How much time does everyone take for their wyoming trips?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Wyoming antelope?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »
I have not hunted those units, but i typically count on two animals per day on average. 
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
Like Bob33 I haven't hunted those units, but I was there a total of 5 days. 1 day to scout & set up camp. Hunted hard for 2.d days to get my 3 lopes last year.
Permission isn't hard to get its just that the pricing can vary and some owners are very specific on weapons allowed.
Good luck.

Offline engelwood

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
If I were you I'd call the biologist for that area, they would probably have a lot of good information for you regarding land access as well as costs and time spent to be successful for that area. Good luck if you go.

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »
Myself and blkbearklr hunted near there last year and we both filled five tags a piece in four days; that was taking our time. You can try to get permission from landowners but honestly everyone we saw was out to make a buck. We stressed about paying the $600+ trespass fee but when we got down there we did our homework. We stopped at the regional fish and game office two days before opening day; talked to the warden that worked the area. We went to the local sporting good store that he told us about and bought the topographic maps for $60 that distinguished the public/private land. We then drove the area with our maps the day before just to get a lay of the land; what was public/private and we had no issues. Lessons learned: Ensure you have your conservation stamp & hunters education card with you. What caliber rifle will you be hunting with? We used a .243 and it was almost too much of a gun for them. If you have any questions let me know. Scott

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:36:53 AM »
I have not hunted that area but hunted others from 1977 to 2000. KNOW the area, unless you are paying to hunt a ranch, you need land status maps. Every where money is involved people get greedy. I have found the ranchers, if you were not hunting on their land, to be very difficult to deal with. They will tell you they own what they do not own, or you will be on public land, and they attempt to run you off. Even if you are paying a tresspass fee, they may be charging you to hunt public land.

The store owners and game wardens are very good to deal with.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 05:13:59 AM »
I hunted 23 last year with Ribka. We hunted private but looked in to public land for the next time we make the trip. Stop at the visitor center in Gillette, they have information and maps of the areas, and also have a list of land owners that are looking for poeple to hunt there property. Just stop on in and they will give lots of information and phone numbers for land owners. The land owner that the visitor center has is different from the list you get from the F&G, land owners call them.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]