collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Gobbler  (Read 15615 times)

Offline wsucowboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: Spring Gobbler
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
this will be my first year hunting them. Defiantly looking forward to it
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
-Alan Ladd
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
-Karl Barth

Offline Andrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
My first season was three years ago...and I can still remember the first thunder chicken sound off like it was yesterday!  I was asked by a contractor buddy if I'd like to go...I enthusiastically accepted, however, after a few hours of walking around on a mountain calling I thought for sure my buddy took me snipe hunting!

Needless to say we walked around this saddle and he let out a yelp and heard the sweetest sound I've ever heard boom through the woods!  The rest as they say is history!

80 days!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
Chasing spring turkeys, it's more addicting than crack!   :drool:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
YOUR KIDS ARE TALL   :yike:    :chuckle: :chuckle:
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
Nephews.. Pic resizing stretched a little, but they are very tall. One on the left was 5'11" at 14..

Resized. Looks a little better now. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:08:38 PM by JKEEN33 »

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Right on with taking the kids.  I have got my youngest son now worked into a lather thinking about the youth weekend.  He and I hope to spend some time in a blind and see what happens.  A blind and some decoys.  The cost of the bird keeps going up. ;)

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Right on with taking the kids.  I have got my youngest son now worked into a lather thinking about the youth weekend.  He and I hope to spend some time in a blind and see what happens.  A blind and some decoys.  The cost of the bird keeps going up. ;)

Remember its "priceless"..spending time is the important thing.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »

Remember its "priceless"..spending time is the important thing.

yep...  last year i mostly road hunted for turkeys...yes i said i road hunted.   buts its because my wife wanted to go with me.  and the kid was with us and he was about 6 months old...  so i ate tag soup... bt we had fun.  saw lot and lots of turkeys,  now we can't wait till this spring,..  cuz now we can all sit in a blind!!!  :)  :hello:
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
Took my son Cody for the first time last year. We struck out but we had a blast. We drove to the blues (5 hour drive) 2 times. We took off friday night for the saturday youth opener. We pulled into walla walla at midnight. Up at 4 to go find turkeys in a place i had never been before. What a blast.
That is the only thing Cody really wants to hunt right now.
Hope this year will be different for him.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline KLRKeith

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
Turkeys are my favorite.  It's the one type of hunting my son doesnt get bored with!  lol..This year I have a muzzleloading shotgun to chase them with so look out..

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
Last year was my first year of ever hunting anything.  My kids and I got blanked on the spring season but I ended up with 1 bird in the early fall and then my older son got his first in the late fall.  We all took the hunter safety class and we've had a great time together. 

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 06:56:12 AM »
I've never done the late season. The calling in the spring is what has me addicted. Love hearing them work their way in.

It is the best.  Also it is more challenging.  Fall hunting in Washington rarely involves calling most hunters out here ambush and stalk flocks in the wild or in areas they congregate.  I prefer spring seasons..it is fun to have them respond to a call and have them strut in.  Nothing better than hearing a gobbling turkey.  It gets my blood going for sure! :)
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 07:17:44 AM »
I can't believe how worked up you all are getting over turkeys. I used to be, but not so much these days. I quit hunting them with a shotgun several years ago. Now I bowhunt for them. Anybody else archery hunting those crazy birds.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
I can't believe how worked up you all are getting over turkeys. I used to be, but not so much these days. I quit hunting them with a shotgun several years ago. Now I bowhunt for them. Anybody else archery hunting those crazy birds.

I am the same way..but it is fun to see otheres get excited about hunting turkeys.  I want to archery hunt them, but need to get the right set up.. what do you use?

Born to Yelp!

Offline TwoFeet

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »

I've shot a ton of turkeys in my life, and the day I don't get excited about them is the day I'll be six feet under.  The only thing that gets me more excited is when I get the opportunity to call in a bird for a friend.  Helped my best friend John get his first ever Turkey, a nice Jake, last spring and it was one of the happiest moments I'd had in a long time.  Can't wait to get back over there in a couple months!
Fair Chase and Clean Shots

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal