collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: western Washington Coyote Hunting  (Read 16243 times)

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
western Washington Coyote Hunting
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Me and my friend went out today to try and call in coyotes. we hunted near the skookumchuck river and had no luck. the problem was the limited amount of space. We would try a logging road but we would have to walk three or four miles to get to an opening to set up to call. Or when we got on the power lines we could only make one set up and then when we tried to move we would come to private property signs. I was wondering if anyone knew any good areas around to hunt coyotes around here? Please let me know and thanks in advance!

Offline Harold

• Hunter
Re: western Washington Coyote Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
plenty of clear cuts a mile or so off the johnson creek road onto the weyerhaeuser property. thats all for that area i could think of tho
Life's a garden. Dig it.

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
If you walked 3 or 4 miles of logging road before setting up to call, you probably did a couple of things-- You contaminated at least 3 or 4 miles of road with your scent, alerting every creature for miles around to your presence, and two, you passed up about a dozen spots to set up and call while you walked in.  Critters, both predator and prey like logging roads, as they are good places to eat or be eaten.  You should be hunting the minute you walk away from your vehicle, not when you get 3 miles from it.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »
heredoggydoggy- Have you ever hunted western washington? just curious. im no expert when it comes to coyote hunting but when the only area you can see is 20 feet of road right in front of you because of the thick nasty brush that would make it extremely difficult correct?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
heredoggydoggy- Have you ever hunted western washington? just curious. im no expert when it comes to coyote hunting but when the only area you can see is 20 feet of road right in front of you because of the thick nasty brush that would make it extremely difficult correct?

20 feet visibility and a shotgun.  ;)

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »

20 feet visibility and a shotgun.  ;)

:yeah:
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
heredoggydoggy- Have you ever hunted western washington? just curious.

Was gonna say no, but thinking back, yeah, something like 2 decades ago my uncle and I took a trip to hunt the Hartstene Island muzzle loader unit.  Brushy, yes, but it reminded me of a lot of the area in Nortern New England where I cut my teeth hunting.  One of the reasons we have gotten to the top of the food chain is the adaptability of the human animal.  Lose that, and you are no longer the top predator.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:31:35 PM by bobcat »
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »
My Western Wa.Calling tips.

1. go on google and look at the areas you want to hunt, I have killed coyotes in the area you called.
2. call on your way in, stop every 100 yards or so, call quietly at least for a while, if you cannot see far call quieter.
3. Slime your way in  and out, sneak every step, do not talk, watch the wind, move slowly eyes open.
4 I have a hard time calling coyotes out into the open, lots of times they hold up at the edge of the timber or brush, use binos to pick them out standing 20 feet in the timber, in shadows, use a scope as the light is bad.
5 Calling clearcuts, try starting out high and see if you can find a spot to see down on roads or skid trails, along the edges of the cut, do not skylight your self. Do not try to walk out in cuts, you cannot do it quietly.
6. here on the west side when they put in roads or cuts the brush grows up as it can get sun, many times the brush stops a little ways off the road or edge and it is more clear in under the timber, wet timber is quieter than dry timber.
7. Another way I like to call cuts is to call down hill, find a spot that has a steep hill set up at the bottom and a ways back from the toe of the slope, sometimes you can see into the brush better on the hill, you might need to make a longer shot doing this. If you see something shoot it on the hill do not let it get to the flat you are sitting on looking down into cuts on steep hills does not work for me.
8 I like a rifle and scope as many times your target is a 4 inch patch of fur thru a hole in the brush.
9 I like bird and rodent noises.
10. Try to figure out where the coyotes will approach from, do not set your caller where the coyote wll see you when it looks at the caller , as it approaches the caller, be off to the side.

Carl
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:02:27 PM by Bofire »
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand