collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shed Dog training  (Read 2476 times)

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Shed Dog training
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »
I have a lab that I am gong to train to find sheds. Any recommendations on what lure/scent to use on older sheds that have lost smell for training purposes?
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Antlerking

Re: Shed Dog training
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »
Uh no, just repetative fecthing with an antler and soon your dog will assosiate that with playing or reward. I use gloves or a rag or something to hide my scent so when I play fetch he cant smell my scent.

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
now that makes sense.  My male lab always find's tennis balls in the woods, and trails.  Does anybody have a antler in the oak harbor area that would be willing to donate, so I can train my lab to she hunt? 
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Elkslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
It takes alot of time and patience! I bought the DVD from some guy back east and followed it. You need to teach your dog the basics before introducing them to a shed. It is truly amazing what these animals are capable of if they are trained right. I could not believe how fast my pup picked up on it. I had him trying to bring back sheds to me at 4 months old, the only problem was the only sheds I found that day were to big and heavy for him to pick up. :chuckle: He gave it everything he had though, even drug it a couple of feet towards me. Wish I would have had a video camera that day.
"YOU MUST FACE YOUR CHALLENGES HEAD ON IN ORDER TO SUCCEED."

Offline blacktail luv

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Shed Hunting Fool
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
The wife brought home a new lab last fall, against my wishes ( we already have 2).  I figured I would try to teach her to find sheds since I really got back into looking for them last spring. So from the time we had her all she ever had to chew on was a shed,  it progressed to fetch and eventually to hiding  them from her in the yard.  I would give her a treat when she was younger every time she would bring it back, she picked it up pretty quick.  She is now 9 months old and my son and I took her up to a buddies property and left her in the truck while we took an armful of sheds and placed them out in the woods in various spots.  I hung a peice of toilet paper in the trees in the vacinity of the sheds so I wouldn't forget where i put them.  She did amazing it is so fun to watch her work.  She found every one of them with no guidance from me what so ever.  I couldn't believe it.  I can't wait to get her out there and look for some brownies, the next month is going to be torture.

Offline asl20bball

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »
Sounds like no one used scent in training....could do more harm then good I suppose. Ps- my lab is already 4 yrs old but she's catching on pretty good so far. I too have used the hide technique with a treat award when the shed is found...it seem to work really good.
Thanks guys and good luck.
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »
I have also been training a dog to find antlers lately. I have a 2 year old female german shepard. A very trainable breed with a great nose. With daily training/practice for about one month she found and retrieved her first antler. It was a big 4 point wt. I was thrilled. Next time out she walked right past a fresh shed. I think she has the potential and just needs more time in the field. practice practice practice.

Offline antlerman

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
HornHoarder,
Have the dog work downwind of areas just like you would hunting birds.  I had a black lab that would go that would go right to the antler like working up a bird.  Now I have a 3 year old that was just starting to catch on last year.  You have to make it a game and make them want the antler.  It is fun but you do have to get out in the field and get some miles in.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]