collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chukars?  (Read 5701 times)

Offline fethrduster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
Chukars?
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
My setter just turned two, and I'm going to try to find some chukars in WA. this year for him.  I'm a seasoned chukar hunter and mostly hunt Oregon and do very well there, but it has been very iffy so far in WA since I moved to Tacoma.  I will be driving east to Colockum, Lt. Murray, Yakima, Vantage, etc. Any suggestions as to which areas have been holding the most birds?

Offline B.G.hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Chukars?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
I don't know about the middle of the state but the south east corner had a pretty good hatch last year.  It was the best numbers I have seen in several years.  I don't know how this exceptionally wet spring will effect the birds this year. 
"Shoot the spike".  It's much easier to pack out!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
There are a ton in the breaks in the SE corner.  Not so sure about vantage, colockum, etc.

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
The Yakima River Canyon between Ellensburg and Selah has quite a few birds. I have never personally hunted them but see and hear them regularly when fishing the canyon. You can get good access to great country via the foot bridge at Umptanum, or if you can float the river and get out at some of the likely areas, that opens up a lot more ground to you.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:03:35 AM »
I tried the foot bridge once and hunted to the left of the creek and up, but didn't see anything.  I could see hunting along the river to either side of the bridge, but I hate chasing those things up hill.  I'm going to give Lt Murray and Colockum a try and see what I can find there.

Offline netcoyote

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »
There used to be a lot of chukar in the Whiskey Dick creek area around Vantage. That was before they put the windmills in. I was back one time a few years ago and didn't see any of them. There are a few quail and an occasional pheasant down in those draws. The windmills just sort of ruined the "feel" of that area for me and haven't been back since. If you try that area, it is pretty tough on rigs and you don't want to be down in the draws if there is rain or snow coming in. The mud turns to gumbo.
Haven't hunted the Yakima canyon but a buddy has been in there with his Brittany and said you have to watch for snakes in warmer weather. Just beware.
"...t'aint never a thing wrong with a man such that the mountains can't cure."

Offline Dip-Zag

• Tracker
Chukars?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »
There are chuckar on the YTC, but you have to watch a quick video to get on the base to hunt wert year. However, I'd say the Best Chuckar hunting is along the Snake in the southeast

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 02:00:04 AM »
It's been about four years since I hunted there, but the ridge to the south of Crab Creek used to hold a lot.  Hump busting pain in the arse to hunt, but there were birds there and not too far a drive from Tacoma.  I'd stay away from the quail beside the creek until you get a good freeze as the snakes can be a problem.  Not much of a problem for people with good boots and reasonable ears, but they mess up a young dog in a hurry.

Doubt you will find shooting like Owyhee Reservoir, John Day River/Fossil, or Boardman, Oregon.  But you will find some good area if you keep at it.  More partridge here than I ever found in Oregon.

Is that a red dog?  Grew up with those, but haven't seen out of the release sight in years.  Send some pics of the pup!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »
I wondered about that ridge.  Looked like a #@$! to climb, but looked like it would hold birds. Good to know, thanks.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal