collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear bait?  (Read 26851 times)

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bear bait?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 04:25:06 PM »
quick side question here, not trying to jack but when was baiting banned? I've on lived in WA for 11 years and only got into hunting in the last 4 or 5.

Back on topic.....will bears come to salt licks like their hooved friends?
Yep

Offline Superhunter333

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Salt licks are illegal to use on bears in idaho its even highlighted in the regs. where the hell do you get beaver meat with out trapping them yourselves?
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
-Ted Nugent

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »
This is going sideways!!!
Same place you would hunt Cougars is my guess!! :chuckle: Just takes $$$$   :jacked:

Offline Annette

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I hunt therefor I am an endangered species
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »
Bear Baiting WAS the funest hunt! Sad to loose it..If they ever give it back to us I'm going to open a doughnut shop  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Over the bait we could pick a big bear to shoot !
I hunt therefor I am an endangered species

Offline Superhunter333

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »
This is going sideways!!!
Same place you would hunt Cougars is my guess!! :chuckle: Just takes $$$$   :jacked:
It was a serious question perv.  :rolleyes:
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
-Ted Nugent

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
all about quantity... some of the mentioned ideas above..u better be rich to bait that way!  Key is lots of food and for it to never run out. Thats why bakerys are a good cheap option with lots of yield for what you get and the bears love it.. I also add my fav topper, but thats for me to know! :chuckle:  only one place to get it here and I am the only one I have seen ever get it

Offline Superhunter333

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »
all about quantity... some of the mentioned ideas above..u better be rich to bait that way!  Key is lots of food and for it to never run out. Thats why bakerys are a good cheap option with lots of yield for what you get and the bears love it.. I also add my fav topper, but thats for me to know! :chuckle:  only one place to get it here and I am the only one I have seen ever get it
Thanks for the help.
-Ted Nugent

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 07:04:51 AM »
Thanks for the help.
one other thing to keep in mind a big bait pile is great and all but when you get ready to hunt it , allot of times you should scale back the pile, if the pile is to big a big ole boar will just hang out and let younger bears come in first, if you make the pile a bit smaller a couple weeks before you hunt it forces the big boy to come in alot sooner than he normally would other wise all the little farts will eat all of his food.
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 08:52:34 AM »
I have used these guys as well and love the scent balls you hang up, they last a long time and are a great way to start a bait.  http://www.bearscents.com/
Fred Moyer

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
back when baiting was legal this is what worked for me....take a 55 gal drum and secure to a tree with cable.....the barrel should have some 10-12" holes in it and the lid should be secured by a lock ring to keep it in place.... fill the barrel 3/4 of the way with outdated bread you can get at any local bakery....if you have some fryer grease dump a couple gallons in along with about 5 lbs of sugar...... take some strawberry jello /  strawberry soda / strawberry ice cream topping  and add it to the mix.....after the bears start showing up on a regular basis all you need is the bread products to keep them coming in....i've seen 4-5 bears use the bait and can't tell when the "dominant" bear is using the bait.you probably can now with trail cams.....
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Superhunter333

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
back when baiting was legal this is what worked for me....take a 55 gal drum and secure to a tree with cable.....the barrel should have some 10-12" holes in it and the lid should be secured by a lock ring to keep it in place.... fill the barrel 3/4 of the way with outdated bread you can get at any local bakery....if you have some fryer grease dump a couple gallons in along with about 5 lbs of sugar...... take some strawberry jello /  strawberry soda / strawberry ice cream topping  and add it to the mix.....after the bears start showing up on a regular basis all you need is the bread products to keep them coming in....i've seen 4-5 bears use the bait and can't tell when the "dominant" bear is using the bait.you probably can now with trail cams.....
Thank you thats great info
-Ted Nugent

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
Bear Baiting WAS the funest hunt! Sad to loose it..If they ever give it back to us I'm going to open a doughnut shop  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Annette that is an awesome bear!!
Fred Moyer

Offline bwgdc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
this is my dads company that is just getting started. its a timer you fill the barrel with 7 way and grease. opens when you want and shuts when you want you end up training the bear to eat when you want them to.

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:58 AM »

Annette that is an awesome bear!!
:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]