collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bait station and timing. UPDATE: 09-24, Final Update  (Read 58116 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Bait station and timing. UPDATE: 09-24, Final Update
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
So, my plan this summer is to set my camera up in a nice little spot and haul in apples and a trophy rock. I figure I can do this every now and again and get some good pics and maybe hunt it this fall. This is on the wet side by the way. My question is this. I know the apples will draw 'em in quick. If I replenish the apples every now and then will the mineral sup be enough to begin getting bambi to frequent the area. I hope to get some good cam photos and do this for kicks. If I decide to hunt it in the fall it would just be somewhere I could hike to faily easily for a day hunt. Also, this is public land but sees very little to no use. What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:41:36 PM by h20hunter »

Offline raekmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Bait station and timing, your thoughts please.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
Good post..  been thinking the same thing...
"Do Watcha Do"
"I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin!"

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
I tried what your talking about and it didn't work too good... I have heard from others what you need to do is use a apple flavored salt lick and that will keep them coming back... I couldn't keep apples on the ground... 15 gal were gone in 3 days!  :yike:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
As for timing, I've always been told--'the earlier you start, the better your chances'.  I have one spot i started last November and the apples go quickly, but they were there mainly as the attractor.  Then hopefully they will start to like the corn, food block, salt licks, etc.  Certain items should be placed on something that keeps it drier, such as salt/foodblocks placed on a board, so it doesn't soak up moisture from the ground. 

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
Yeah, I figure the apples would go fast but the combo with the salt/mineral/trophy/gel/cobb whatever else would help establish a pattern. Get them used to the area then if I decide to hunt it jack up the apples the week before and realy load it up. Then, if I decide to hunt it sneak and give it a go.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
Your on the right track but what you should know and this is kind of from experience and what others have reported on here is the deer will tear it up until antler growth is about done then they will almost forget about the mineral licks  :dunno: Don't know why but it just happens. Maybe tease them with the apples then when you see a change in the patterns start upping the apples! Another thing is the bears will get into the apples and the deer won't see any of them  ;) I had a sow and 2 cubs go threw around 250-300 pounds of feed I had for the deer and elk in about 1.5 days! Now let me tell you that get expensive :bash: Hope this helps and keep us informed of what you do  :hello:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
I have hunted the area and seen some bear sign but not down as low as I'm planning. Also, if the bears move in that means no hunting for me. I know there are deer in the area and figure it would be a kick just to give it a try. I can probably carry 30 pounds of apples in pretty easily, maybe even make two trips to really load it up. What about using a sled to haul a load in....hmmm.

Online brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »
be careful with the apples....dam bears are opportunistic and will go anywhere they smell food and have a steady supply of grub.  also skunks, racccoons, possums will eat any available food source.  Heck one of the biggest coyote's i've ever shot was laying in an old orchard eating gravenstine apples one fall afternoon.  Maybe try some alfalfa flakes....one guy i know who used to bait deer in the NE corner said he used them cuz the bears normally left them alone....just my  :twocents:  put a trail cam up to make sure....they're hella cheap now and save a lot of time deciding on which area to target for what you're after.....good luck !
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:29:38 PM »
Thats a good point about the alfalfa. I bet I can find a feed store that will have something. Gonna be a tough one to hike in a 50lb bag.

Offline CementFinisher

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
How far apart should feed be from a mineral lick station. I set mine about 150yards. first year trying this, damm blackies are ghost looking to better my odds.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »
Okay, cam and bait station is set. I stopped into a farm and feed store and picked up a 25lb apple mineral lick. It was a Sweetlix brand. Also, I filled biggest pack with apples and hauled it all in. I'll tell you what, that 25 lb block in the bottom of the pack was not doing me any favors after the first mile. Ill have to take my GPS and see how far. I would say it's about a mile and half in. While at the feed store I also grabbed a little 1lb bag of apple horse treats. Figure I would throw them in the mix. I'll head back in a couple of weeks and freshen it up and change the card out. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Offline heartshot

• Pilgrim
Re: Bait station and timing, your thoughts please. UPDATE: 2/13
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »
looking forward to the report!

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
Re: Bait station and timing, your thoughts please. UPDATE: 2/13
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
So....I'm only 24 hours into my first trail cam soak and am ready to go check it. Thankfully, I have to work. I plan on weather permitting to carry in another load of apples this Sunday and swap cards. I would think any deer in the area would find a nice fresh pile of apples pretty quickly. How far do you think they will be drawn in from? I did smash up a few to get the scent dispersed.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
Re: Bait station and timing, your thoughts please. UPDATE: 2/20
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 02:19:37 PM »
Well, a one week soak and nothing yet. I don't expect much but know it is only a matter of time before the deer find my sweet goodness I have left them. I humped in another 42 pounds on my back and a few extra pounds on my two buddies. The pile has been added to and now with 60 lbs or so of apples, some horse treats, a few pounds of pears, and a 25 lb mineral block and I can wait a couple of weeks before returning. I took my GPS this time and it is only 1.4 miles behind the gate. Not to bad. Here is a pic of me at my pile.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
Re: Bait station and timing, your thoughts please. UPDATE: 2/20
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
Just looking at the pic, was wondering what it looks like in the other direction, if you look at other Trail-cam pictures you will see that if you set them up out in the open like that, most of your pics will be in the dark.
better to be 10-15 feet off a trail, 30-40 yards INSIDE cover.
Most animals dont like to be exposed like that.  :twocents:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh