collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey hunting - Give us your best legal tip or tactic to being successful!  (Read 12557 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Turkey hunting - Give us your best legal tip or tactic to being successful!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
I like to follow Al around.  He scouts a lot so there are always lots of birds around him.  So my advice is to find someone with more birds then they know what to do with and spy on them.  Let them hunt the area and warm up the birds, wait for them to leave and sneak in and wait for them to come looking for him.  Easy as pie.

This the the best tips so far!   :chuckle: :chuckle:

that sounds about ideal  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
I have never hunted them But damn it I am going to one of these years until then I will read your guys tips  :hello:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
My best advice to ya is to pattern your shotgun. Find the best GUN/CHOKE/SHELL combination. If you have great results with your first combination good for you but if you dont, dont use that combination.
Im shootin the 20ga this year and picked up a box of hevi 13 mag blend so when it warms up I will be testing them babies out, really like to use them so hopfully I dont have to buy a few more chokes.

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
Don't wait until the last day "before season" to start trying to find the birds. Spread out and look for diffrent bunches of birds early. Beacause not matter how hard you try. You can't kill birds if they are not in the area. Also look for natural travel paths. Like between canyons. They like to use the easy path of travel most of the time. I have killed more then one bird. By setting up in areas I know the birds will want to cross at.
     So when do you start to scout? I wouldn't imagine to try that a day or so before the season. But if a guy finds sign and birds say, 2-3 weeks before would it be reasonable to still find them in the same area?   :dunno:
Can't we all just get along?

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 01:00:03 PM »
Western Washington Eastern tip...................you needed to start scouting and looking two weeks ago....and continue in earnest.....and don't give up....burn that shoe leather....forget hearing them, look for droppings....they are your friend. :twocents:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:32:17 AM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
 :yeah: :yeah:
If it flies it dies.

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
I have never hunted them But damn it I am going to one of these years until then I will read your guys tips  :hello:

i'm in the same boat.  i almosy hunted them last spring, but drove around with my wife and kid for 2 day looking out the car windows at TONS of turkeys,   and yes i did have a tag in my pocket.   :bash:   :chuckle:

it was pretty fun though
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »

i'm in the same boat.  i almosy hunted them last spring, but drove around with my wife and kid for 2 day looking out the car windows at TONS of turkeys,   and yes i did have a tag in my pocket.   :bash:   :chuckle:

it was pretty fun though
If I ever get to work we will have to take our virgin asses to the hills and smoke some  ;) I think I know a place to go  ;)
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:21 AM »
Patience, Patience and more patience.  Don't be afraid to wait em out.  I'm getting older and could'nt "run and gun em" even if I wanted, but for me, patterning the birds and then waiting them out is the key.  Sit down, hide up and wait for them to come to you. Call sparingly and keep your eyes open, be ready to shoot when that red head suddenly pops into view.

Offline alwinearcher

• Unit 204
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
I like to follow Al around.  He scouts a lot so there are always lots of birds around him.  So my advice is to find someone with more birds then they know what to do with and spy on them.  Let them hunt the area and warm up the birds, wait for them to leave and sneak in and wait for them to come looking for him.  Easy as pie.

Crap,
I gotta get a new truck no one knows before season roles around :IBCOOL: :chuckle:
Matt Alwine

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »
If I can find a turkey then it ups my odds. So I guess the best tip is to find the turks. Go to a place where harvest odds are high or where you have seen turkeys before.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »

Crap,
I gotta get a new truck no one knows before season roles around :IBCOOL: :chuckle:

I ruined a great little piece of public land this way.  My buddy was filming turkey hunting and we drove his truck that is covered in sponsor decals to this spot.  The next day there were 3 rigs parked there when I had basically hunted it for years and only seen a couple of occasional hunters.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »

Crap,

I ruined a great little piece of public land this way.  My buddy was filming turkey hunting and we drove his truck that is covered in sponsor decals to this spot.  The next day there were 3 rigs parked there when I had basically hunted it for years and only seen a couple of occasional hunters.

THis is how I roll! Gott to blend in!  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline alwinearcher

• Unit 204
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

Crap,

Yep, gotta have the old crapper rig that no one recognizes.
Matt Alwine

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough

They don't call you Sneakyjake for nothing my friend ... I could just pull up another gobble lounger for you.  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]