collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sleeping bag, synthetic, 20 degrees, 3 pounds or under any suggestions?  (Read 17556 times)

Offline 840dc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Looking for a new sleeping bag, synthetic, 20 degree, 3 pounds or under? I was looking at the North Face cats meow but seen some mixed reviews any suggestions?

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
Re: Sleeping bag, synthetic, 20 degrees, 3 pounds or under any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »
Depending on your price range getting one under 3lbs shouldn't be a problem. I have also heard mixed reviews on the north face bags but have never personally used them so I cannot say. I like the marmot bags but they can get pricey. Here's a website to check out and compare temp ratings and weight of the top selling bags.

Down
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/LightDownbag.cfm

Synthetic
[urlhttp://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/LightDownbag.cfm][/url]

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
I have the Eureka Casper 15 degree bag, wighs in at 3 lbs and cost around 80 bucks.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
I have the Eureka Casper 15 degree bag, wighs in at 3 lbs and cost around 80 bucks.

that is a good price, It is crazy what some of the prices are for some bags but when your cold and cant sleep I would pay anything to be warm

Offline 840dc

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
HAHA yeah I was thinking the same thing, heard good things about marmot, but can't seem to find a bag of theirs that's synthetic, 20 degrees, and under 3 pounds. Thanks for the reply guys.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
Yah I have yet to use it because I just got it this winter but I cant afford the 200-300 dollar bags. Im sure they are worth the money but I just have to much other backcountry gear to buy so im doin it the cheap way for now. When you start buyin top dollar back county gear it gets pretty close to a grand for tent, bag, pad, stove, pack and other misc. gear. Hopefully my bag works alrite up to late september.

Offline 840dc

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
I hear ya there it get expensive for sure, I've been looking at the Big Agnes fly creek ul 1 tent also, that thing is lite! I think the best price I have found it for was 240.

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
Just curious as to why synthetic over down? Are your conditions just too wet for down?

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
all else fails just buy two of the $80 bags and put one inside of the other, I am not beyond that  :twocents:

Offline 840dc

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
Yeah I would love to go with down, but it seems to always rain like crazy in the places I have been hunting. I have thought about going that route but think it would be a gamble.

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:48:05 PM »
I have the Eureka 30 degree model, and with a fleece liner I was extremely comfortable on my winter camping trip and it was 0 degrees outside when I woke up. I think the 15 degree model would work great and a small silk or fleece liner would make for a great backup if you get cold.

Brandon

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »
Just curious as to why synthetic over down? Are your conditions just too wet for down?

I'd guess in case of accident or mistake, bivy bag or under a tarp.  I've been using a 650fill down bag with a Dry Loft shell for 15+ years, rated to -5. Never gotten it wet. I've rubbed the wet, condensation soaked inside of a tent all night never soaked through.  I have a down bag from 1972, it would still be perfect if I was still 5"1.

Keeping your down bag dry is a written in stone rule for me.

Offline 840dc

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Now you go me thinking I could go with down. I was wondering about condensation. Thanks for the info.

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 07:01:38 PM »
Now you go me thinking I could go with down. I was wondering about condensation. Thanks for the info.

You wont find Down with GoreTex anymore and I wouldn't buy one, you'd sweat like a pig.  But if you can find any kind of Dry Loft shell go for it.  Lighter, packs smaller, last longer than you. Think about it. A good bag is something you'll keep for decades. Some synthetics have short lives...repeated packing breaks them down. Cheap ones are nearly disposable after a few years.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
Go with Big Agnes. You then buy the sleeping pad which slides in a sleeve on the bottom of the sleeping bag. Thus the pad wont slide out from under you and the pad is air inflated to 2.5 inches.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »
I have the Marmot Helium 15 degree 850 fill goose down bag..  I too have concerns about the wet weather we have here in Western, WA, but I couldn't pass up the weight and quality of this bag just because it was goose down.  I just make sure I pay attention to business and keep it out of the weather the best I can.  Never had any issues with the bag and always been toasty warm - knock on wood.  

http://marmot.com/products/helium?p=117,71

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
Go with Big Agnes. You then buy the sleeping pad which slides in a sleeve on the bottom of the sleeping bag. Thus the pad wont slide out from under you and the pad is air inflated to 2.5 inches.

They will be my next buy for a summer bag.  I love the air mat sleeve.  Got one of their air mats now.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »
Yea I love mine I have one down 600 fill(0 degree bag) and one 40 degree bag. The air pad is very durable. You cant go wrong with the setup. Good thing is if you sleep in a Hanassey Hammock the pad doesn't slide on you and you don't have any sore spots on your body.
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
IMO you can't beat Marmot bags. The Helium is a great bag. I wish they still make their Pounder Plus bag, +25 synthetic and weighs just over 2lbs. Unfortunately that bag is gone and they haven't come up with a close equivalent yet.

The new REI bags are pretty good too. Their down fill has improved and the temperature ratings are much more accurate. I know synthetic is great on the West side, but down seriously can not be beat. For the weight and compressibility, plus I truly think it feels warmer than synthetics do. The Halo +25 they make is a nice and toasty bag, very true temp and not to badly priced either.

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »

I have this same bag, Spend a solid month in last year in Montana on a wilderness hunt. The coldest it got was -8 and I just layered my clothes before I got into the bag and was toasty warm. Great bag for the money :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
Yea I love mine I have one down 600 fill(0 degree bag) and one 40 degree bag. The air pad is very durable. You cant go wrong with the setup. Good thing is if you sleep in a Hanassey Hammock the pad doesn't slide on you and you don't have any sore spots on your body.

Got one of those too. Kind of a pain getting in and out of a bag.  I get in the bag then crawl into the hammock  :chuckle:

Incredibly comfortable.  Little chilly without a pad..

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
Yea they are tough to get in and out of. Before I got my Big Agnes sleeping system I would take one of those Windshield reflectors(Walmart version) that you put in the windshield in the summer to keep your car cool. The one side is a foil type material and you put that against your body on the inside of your sleeping bag and it would reflect you body heat back to you keeping you warm. Plus it is light weight. I just hated mine in a wind storm, one time the wind got me swinging so much I thought it was going to pitch me in the lake.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »

I have this same bag, Spend a solid month in last year in Montana on a wilderness hunt. The coldest it got was -8 and I just layered my clothes before I got into the bag and was toasty warm. Great bag for the money :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

That makes feel better considering all of my hunting will be done in montana this year and I wanted to get back into the beartooths for late sept. and early October  :)

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »
i have a kelty mistral +20 bag its full synthetic works great and i comes in right at 3lbs (im pretty sure at least), paid less than 60 for it great bag for the money

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »
pretty happy with my rei sub kilo... little snug, might be a touch too snug for some (I'm 5' 10", 160ish lbs [most of that's tub]).

Offline Maligator

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 03:52:00 AM »
I bought my Mountain Hardwear Spectre SL +20 for $247 when it originally listed at $450 at the REI outlet online site. It was last years close out and it was even the "long" version so I was stoked! Keep an eye open since they always have sales and additional 20% off coupons online to make the bags even cheaper. Just a thought.
NAHC Life Member

Offline Tim

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48:50 AM »
the thing with down is that with reasonable care it will last the rest of your life.Last year I took a western mountaineering bag to Rainy Pass for cleaning,the bag is about 28 years old and I thought it was done for.It came out like new,a grat investment
Tim

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
I've been keeping my eye on this one for when I get my Columbia Sportswear Friends and Family code next month.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Lamina%E2%84%A2-0-%28Regular%29/OU8448_R,default,pd.html

With that said, it's a 0 degree bag and just under 4 lbs, not 3.

Offline mossy8352

• Longhunter
  • Ready To Go
    • http://www.facebook.com/arthur.mccahan
    • Mikes Digital Solutions
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »

You wont find Down with GoreTex anymore and I wouldn't buy one, you'd sweat like a pig.  But if you can find any kind of Dry Loft shell go for it.  Lighter, packs smaller, last longer than you. Think about it. A good bag is something you'll keep for decades. Some synthetics have short lives...repeated packing breaks them down. Cheap ones are nearly disposable after a few years.
I was wondering about Gore Tex or DryPlus as that is what I use over my down jacket and no issues for me so far. When I was a kid in CA my dad and I would ride into the back country and we used down bags but we used tree boughs under the bed and rolled up in a tarp to keep the rain off the bag that seemed to work good then (raining and in the twenties).

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
The reason most sleeping bags so call "wear out" is from washing. If you buy a new sleeping bag purchase a liner for the inside to keep it clean in there.

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 08:08:51 AM »
the thing with down is that with reasonable care it will last the rest of your life.Last year I took a western mountaineering bag to Rainy Pass for cleaning,the bag is about 28 years old and I thought it was done for.It came out like new,a grat investment
Tim

Western Mountaineering is premium stuff - great bags.  One of these days I'll be able to afford one.  I have a Kelty Lightyear that's rated at 20 degrees but I wouldn't want it to get that cold so I use it as my summer bag, a Marmot Helium for spring/fall and a Northface Snowshoe rated at 0 but I think it's about the same as my Marmot.  It's synthetic so I use it when I might get wet.  Main issue is that it's like almost four pounds and doesn't compress well.

The next bag I get will probably be a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends in something around the -20 rating for those really cold winter nights like a November Montana hunt.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:05:37 PM by halflife65 »

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »
The North Face Orion 20 weighs in at 2lbs 8oz.  I was about to pull the trigger on this bag but decided to get down sleeping bag.  In any case check it out below.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47911
"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline ryoshi

• Pilgrim

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »
Great deal on those bags, ryoshi - good find.  It looks like it comes with the pad and, if so, that's super cheap.

Offline ryoshi

• Pilgrim
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 05:16:24 AM »
For sure!   ;)

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »
I will be getting this bag from Cabelas. It is rectangle in shape for more sleeping freedom because I can't stand mummy bag's and the long version is 88" and still less than 3#. On sale for $170 and great reviews.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Boundary-Waters8482-Rectangle-Sleeping-Bag/746422.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsleeping%2Bbag&Ntt=sleeping+bag&WTz_l=Unknown

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
I picked this one up last weekend. It's 3lb, 1oz, so doesn't quite meet criteria, but pretty close.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Lamina%E2%84%A2-20-%28Regular%29/OU8449_R,default,pd.html

The nice thing is I picked it up for about $85 thanks to being on a friend's Friends and Family list at Columbia.  :IBCOOL:

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 01:37:28 AM »
I had a Kelty Lightyear bag.  It was really light, but nowhere close to a 30 degree bag.  I froze my butt off in it more than once.  I upgraded to a Marmot Sawtooth 15 degree bag.  I've slept out in it down to 10 degrees and was relatively comfortable.  I've found that one thing to watch for is wearing too many clothes and sweating in the bag.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »
Looking for a new sleeping bag, synthetic, 20 degree, 3 pounds or under? I was looking at the North Face cats meow but seen some mixed reviews any suggestions?

Stop your search and buy the cats meow.  I have had one for 5 years and it is a very solid and warm bag.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87