collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mule deer permit hunt  (Read 44684 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Mule deer permit hunt
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:26 AM »
If your willing to work hard and spend alot of time behind a spotter . I'd pick slide ridge , mainly because the big boys might not be down much lowwer in mid november . It wouldn't be my choice if I had a chance to hunt in December however , Gardner would be a good choice aswell  :twocents:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
If you are talking 170" net as low as you will go...... You better seriously be prepared for tag soup. Waiting 9 years or more for tag soup is a tough pill to swallow. 150" is still a nice buck, and something I probabaly wouldn't walk away from if I put in the time and effort.
You have a chance every year in Wa to draw, it may be a slim chance but it is better than no chance at all. 
Good luck in the draw this year.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
150".
I couldn't walk away...

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
seeing a nice buck that is hard to walk away from with a loaded rifle in your hand and the scope caps off
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline YoterHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »
took me 7 years to get drawn for my muly tag .hunted my but off ended up shooting a 150 class buck 27 wide.my biggest  so far and i came home proud

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
took me 7 years to get drawn for my muly tag .hunted my but off ended up shooting a 150 class buck 27 wide.my biggest  so far and i came home proud
I would be too Yoter, ya got any pics?
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline tjgerm

• Tracker
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:42 PM »
Thats a very nice deer be hard to pass it up. I.ve never been in a posistion to take a deer of that caliber. I mostly elk hunt. But an oldtimer told me of a story when he was in his younger days he was in town after shooting a big mule deer in Montana and an old guy was looking at the deer as he was proud of his kill and asked him if he thought he was a trophy hunter. He said well this is a pretty big deer yah I'm a trophy hunter. The old guy said your not a trophy hunter. He said what do you mean this is a big buck. The old man said if you want to kill a really big buck you have to pass on  bucks like that. After that the guy I talk about started passing on those size bucks and let me tell you his trophy room is something out of this world. I don't know if that buck was from a permit hunt or not but that is a true trophy. I really don't know what our state has to offer for a trophy mule deer since i've only hunted blacktail. if you don't mind was this a special hunt and if it was were you seeing many big deer? Did you pass on any possibles before this one or was that the first big deer you saw and how many days into the season was it? 

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:10 AM »
TROPHY is in the eye of the beholder :IBCOOL: Big, small no matter what it's all about the hunt, no matter WHAT, with the family or with freinds, it's the memories :drool: The hunt it's where it's at, NOT THE BIG RACK :twocents: NO more :beatdeadhorse: And i forgot have fun while youre at it ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:48:44 AM by bowhunterforever »
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
if you don't mind was this a special hunt and if it was were you seeing many big deer? Did you pass on any possibles before this one or was that the first big deer you saw and how many days into the season was it? 

This was the 1st buck other than a spike we saw on the 3rd day of a 5 day hunt.  It was a late permit hunt. The way it was snowing and the weather that was coming, we weren't sure if we were going to be able to get back back into where the deer were at. It was about 15 degrees and snowing hard. It's kind of a good example that you never know what will happen on these late hunts. My intention was 160 or bust but after having a very hard time finding deer, I couldn't hold off. I don't have the discipline at this point to eat my tag when a buck like that walks out at that point in my hunt.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
It can be real tough to hold out in those conditions . There's not a permit hunt in this state where a 170 buck should be the standard in my mind. the incentive tag and the muledeer auction tags are a totally different story since you can hunt till the end of December . You take hundreds of square miles and condense a few 170plus bucks into it in December thats where your chances go up . There will always be sheer luck in having a toad show during the permit hunts but not the standard . btw nice buck lope.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline goober

• Tracker
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
There is no doubt that a 'trophy' is in the eyes of the beholder. However, being a 'trophy hunter' means passing on all but the biggest deer, waiting for the one that EVERY hunter would call big. You can't have 190 inch bucks, if you shoot them when they are 160 inches! For myself, I only shoot a buck if he is bigger than any I have shot...or I shoot the smallest I can find for meat.

Regarding one's chances of drawing a good tag in this state....they suck! Sure, someone drew the tag, but no one can have a reasonable expectation of drawing any tag, even with max points. Why? Because too many people have max points. IMO, preference point systems are better for resident hunters (if they include a percentage of tags (25%) which are available to all applicants) and bonus point systems are better for non-resident hunters (only because the non-resident caps on tags keep all but the top tier applicants out of the game).

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2011, 11:09:43 AM »
not totally right
Washington's system places a multiplier on the points. The number of points is squared and it is this number of random numbers that are issued to the application (or number of cards in the barrel). If a person applies for an elk permit for the first time, they have one card in the barrel. If a person has built up two points, they have four cards in the barrel. If a person has three points built up, nine cards are in the barrel and so on.

Placing a multiplier on the points more noticeably increases the chances of being selected over someone who is a new applicant or was recently awarded a permit.

You are absolutely correct.

Almost correct.  You need to add the 1 chance for the current year.
So, with 3 points you would have 10 chances not 9. 3 squared = 9 PLUS 1 for the current draw.   

First time  =  1 chance
with 1 point  =    2 chances
with 2 points =    5 chances
etc......

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
NoBark, I think the point gets added first and then it is squared.  So, if you have 2 points from previous years applications, then you will have 3 going into this years draw........thus 3 squared = 9 chances.  That is how I understand it anyway.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
NoBark, I think the point gets added first and then it is squared.  So, if you have 2 points from previous years applications, then you will have 3 going into this years draw........thus 3 squared = 9 chances.  That is how I understand it anyway.

Washingtons system is based off of Nevadas system.  And I know for sure that NoBark is right when it comes to the way Nevada does there draw.  And I think he is right when it comes to Washington, but i'm not sure.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »
He is likely right.  I likely misunderstood for many years now how they did the points.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter