collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dall sheep hunt?  (Read 13372 times)

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
Dall sheep hunt?
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »
The old man is looking into booking a Dall sheep hunt this fall. I was wondering if anyone has been on a hunt and if you had any guide recommendations for him. He has talked to a couple well known people alot of you might know Jim shockey and the host of Steve's hunting adventures, cant remember his last name, o well. These guys are good guides but you guys might have experienced better, any info helps this is a high dollar hunt and he wants to book with the best.

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Dall sheep hunt?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
when you are doing your research, make sure to call the references on their list and talk to them.  I got a Dall's sheep this last season, but I would not recommend the oufitter that I went with.  Good luck.

Offline ghgetter

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
The old man is looking into booking a Dall sheep hunt this fall. I was wondering if anyone has been on a hunt and if you had any guide recommendations for him. He has talked to a couple well known people alot of you might know Jim shockey and the host of Steve's hunting adventures, cant remember his last name, o well. These guys are good guides but you guys might have experienced better, any info helps this is a high dollar hunt and he wants to book with the best.

I wouldnt let "Steve" book a prairie dog hunt.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
He has definitly been calling a few outfitters. Nice looking ram norsepeak!

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
I went along on a Dall hunt in 1989. I was not hunting but my brother-in-law and a friend of his were. They were Alaska residents so did not need a guide. We hiked 17 miles in from the paved road, in the Delta unit. We saw 32 sheep 29 were rams. There were some very large rams, more than full curl. They did not get a sheep, very open area and sheep spooked every time they tried stalking.
The next year they drew the same area again. They went to the same spot and saw a high percent rams. This time they each took a white shop coat. They wore the white coat, walked bent over, and walked up to 200 yards of the rams. They got in  prone position and each shot a nice ram.
I don't know if you can take advantage of that information, the locals l talked to said the white coat was a popular method by the locals.
It was my first time to Alaska, beautiful area, saw lots but, every where we went there was liter. Even 17 miles from the road there was cans, etc.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:56:30 PM »
I have been on one guided sheep hunt. Is he looking for a particular size, place (i.e. Brooks, Wrangell, Alaska Range), price range(your high dollar might differ from others). My guide has since retired. You can get a list of guides from Alaska Fish and Game that is if he is planning on hunting in Alaska. Is he looking for an easy or tough hunt?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
Call Todd Walton.  Washington Wild Sheep Foundation has been working with Todd for the past few years.  He offers a great hunt at a great value.  A number of our board members have hunted with him with several others booked.   He generally takes 3-6 hunters a year.  Get me your email and I will email you a pic of all four of the rams that he guided last year.

http://www.biggamesafarisalaska.com/

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:53:19 AM »
Looks like Todd hunts the Chugach mtns. If you want a true wilderness hunt go into the Brooks Range.
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
He is talking about going to Alaska or somewhere in the northwest territories. Looking for a big ram if possible and will do a tough hunt if need be. I think he wants to do a fly in or horseback hunt though, he didnt seem to like the idea of a hike in only hunt.

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
I think its important to know what you want to spend and then go from there.  Huge difference in price between AK, Yukon and NWT.  More horseback options in the Yukon and helicopter option in the NWT.    Most of the NWT/Yukon outfitters are pushing $20,000 with some even higher; some require a charter flight fee that's usually around $1500.  Lots of options in and less money in Alaska but as Norse indicated, maybe some aren't always the best options????

Offline INF

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
Go with Alaska big game safaris (Tod walton) you wont regret it. I know people that have hunted with him including myself. Its a great time hunting with him and just being around him you wont find a better guy/guide.

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
I hunted with Todd Walton in 2009 and had a great time. There were three of us hunters in camp (one was 67 years old) and I was the last to kill my ram which was on day 5. I saw quite a few legal rams before I decided to take my 39 1/2 inch ram.
Todd is a great guy that makes this a fun hunt not just a successful hunt. I would love to go back into the glacier country of the Alaska Range to chase white sheep with Todd any day. I have nothing but the highest recommendation for him no matter what he would charge for his hunts.
Bryan

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:12:53 AM »
Well Bryan the proof is in the pictures lets see them.

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »
I don't have the pictures of my ram here at work any more, but it's in this form. Just do a search for: 2009 Alaska Big Game Safaris Ram. I have several pics of the three rams killed that year and other pictures of the hunt area. Nothing like it!
Bryan

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »
Here's one of Bryan's ram!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter