collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wheat Fields?  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Sagedawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Wheat Fields?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
 I agree with all that has been said so far. I hunt a couple of places that are a mix of whaet and CRP, and by far the best bucks we see or get come from brushy draws or the CRP ground. This area holds mulies and WT's, and a few good ones of each. I always see big whitetail bucks out in the stubble when were after coyotes, but this is way after season closes and they are after the does. One thing I have noticed where I hunt is after the first good snowfall, the mulie bucks tend to become pretty scarce. I talked to a biologist about it and he said they head down to the river breaks.Might have to check that out sometime.

Sage

Offline MuleyMadness

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 03:28:44 PM »
I will be bringing my boat over and seing if I can get on a couple in the river bottoms this year.....

lover-of-the-couga

Offline New England Native

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »
I got this guy in a wheat field last year. not the best but he put meat in my freezer!
One shot One kill

Offline andrew_12gauge

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »
Last year during early archery i was chasing a buck that was a clean 4 point only about 24 inches wide but he would've put the 160 class muley on my wall to shame, deeeeep forks, lots of mass, i would say probably at least 170 maybe 175, saw him probably 15 times in september and had a few close calls with him, and i was also chasing 2 lesser bucks in the area that were both pushing 26-28 inches but with weaker forks and less mass probably wouldve scored 150 at best, didnt end up killing any of those 3 and when rifle season rolled around we couldnt find them anywhere. If you ever spook a big mulie in wheat country, look within a mile or less the next day, and every day after that, those 3 bucks were on rotations in the same draws every coupla days.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
New England Native, first glance I thought you put a cigar in that bucks mouth, lol.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline bullchaser

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »
That toung is sick Jk . Anyways My bro and i sometimes hunt around pomeroy and about 5 years ago we were on our way home (I was tagged out on a smaller 5 point) he was not. and we saw some bedded bucks in a large wheat field. Belive it or not the land was posted feel free to hunt. to make a long story we busted them at the last minute and i watched as 8 bucks filled past my brother at 40 yards with his muzzeloder shaking folowing each one as they passed. none really gave him a clean shot but 45 seconds after the last buck passed Him the biggest mule deer i have ever seen stood up and began to sneak away the other direction I helplessly watched as my brother proceeded to miss him with his smoke pole (buck fever) at 50 yards. he was a no B.S. 190 washington buck. To this day it still haunts me. Anyways the moral of my story is there are a few of them (big bucks that is) but your going to have to be really lucky or really good to hang your tag on a WA wheat field monster they are just to smart ( adapted to us ). :bash:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:31:31 PM by bullchaser »

Offline New England Native

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Yes I agree this is a horible picture. It was an after thaught my wife asked if I got a picture of it yet. I told her no so she took one while I was starting to skin it. I never looked at the pic till I was done and thought I need to make sure I get a decent pic this year!
One shot One kill

Offline bullchaser

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
been there I am a terrible picture taker. just kidding around.

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »
Most of my first bucks are just pictures in the back yard with a bloody chopped off head. I have gotten a little better over the years.

Is it just me or is tha bucks eye glowing green.

Nice buck by the way.

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
thats a typical size buck i see out where i hunt around wilson creek, they get alot bigger but most legals i see are around that size

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]