collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey IQ Game  (Read 10115 times)

Offline yelp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Turkey IQ Game
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
IMO  Phantom was close but Turkeyman had the best answer.  The average is about 10-11.  Clutch size varies and they do lay one a day.

Phantom I assume in general the clutch sizes are the same but different subspecies may have some variance in clutch size due to breeding populations.  I know timing is a little different with for example Osceola turkeys vs Merriam.  I will do more digging. 
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »
If a hen looses her clutch will she start laying a second clutch? If one poult makes it out of the clutch will she start laying again?
If it flies it dies.

Offline turkey slayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »
So I am wrong :chuckle: Not sure what I was thinking. Hell even the masters don't no everything :chuckle:

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
If a hen looses her clutch will she start laying a second clutch? If one poult makes it out of the clutch will she start laying again?

Answer:  Well I haven't gotten any the the questions right so far, so I might as well take a wild swing at this one:

A hen will start a second clutch depending on when she loses her clutch.  I would guess that even if one poult survives, she will not start laying again.
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
You are correct Phantom :)
If it flies it dies.

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »
Thanks Teacher, I mean Turkeyman!    :chuckle:

Next up:

Due to the overhunting and deforestation that eliminated a majority of the wild turkeys’ original habitat, these majestic birds were nearly extinct in the 1930s.  Question: 1. How many wild turkeys are estimated to be in the US (and Canada) now? 

2.  Who gets the credit for this incredible restoration effort?
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 11:28:04 PM »
7 million. NWTF
If it flies it dies.

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
Right on Turkeyman on both counts!!   It's your turn to ask a hard one!!   :bash:

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
What is the average lifespan of a wild turkey?
If it flies it dies.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 12:18:01 AM »
average just under 2 years, but they have been known to live as long as 13 years   :yike:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 02:07:23 AM »
National average is 3 to five years.  Stevens county is probably under 2 years with the to bird limit and allot of Jake's being killed.
If it flies it dies.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 05:51:11 PM »
Thanks Teacher, I mean Turkeyman!    :chuckle:

Next up:

Due to the overhunting and deforestation that eliminated a majority of the wild turkeys’ original habitat, these majestic birds were nearly extinct in the 1930s.  Question: 1. How many wild turkeys are estimated to be in the US (and Canada) now?  

2.  Who gets the credit for this incredible restoration effort?

On the second question..Just a clarification...NWTF and its volunteers assisted in the efforts along with many state fish and wildlife agencies who also played the largest role in establishing the turkeys (trap/transfer)..I also know Washington State wild turkey populations were established before NWTF was even and organization. The late 1990's surge of support for wild turkey conservation in WA state with establishement of several local chapters throughout WA assisted and provided funding for additional birds. This was how WDFW staff/management and NWTF support/funding were able to establish the three subspecies we have today. Many Local Washington State volunteers (NWTF, Sportsman clubs)  and WDFW field staff played more of a strategic role during the Target 2000 project than the parent NWTF organization.  Without volunteers many of these organizations wouldn't exist as well as the restoration effort.  I would give sportsman and game managers that had the vision of healthy wild turkey populations the actual credit. :twocents:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:03:28 PM by yelp »
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
National average is 3 to five years.  Stevens county is probably under 2 years with the to bird limit and allot of Jake's being killed.
  Not to mention the fall seasons..which primarily target poults..drastically reducing the average.

Born to Yelp!

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
On the second question..Just a clarification...NWTF and its volunteers assisted in the efforts along with many state fish and wildlife agencies who also played the largest role in establishing the turkeys (trap/transfer)..I also know Washington State wild turkey populations were established before NWTF was even and organization. The late 1990's surge of support for wild turkey conservation in WA state with establishement of several local chapters throughout WA assisted and provided funding for additional birds. This was how WDFW staff/management and NWTF support/funding were able to establish the three subspecies we have today. Many Local Washington State volunteers (NWTF, Sportsman clubs)  and WDFW field staff played more of a strategic role during the Target 2000 project than the parent NWTF organization.  Without volunteers many of these organizations wouldn't exist as well as the restoration effort.  I would give sportsman and game managers that had the vision of healthy wild turkey populations the actual credit. :twocents:

Yelp I would like to say that you are one of the first folks who has a honest view of when the birds came to this state. I have crossed paths with people who have more NWTF patches on them that have no idea.

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »
Yelp is correct there is alot of hard work from volunteers i have been one for years. It was 2:00 am when i answered that question. Could have answered it better. Thanks to all that have put in the time for the wild turkey.
If it flies it dies.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal