collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: sighting in. how high at 100 yards?  (Read 76905 times)

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
Re: sighting in. how high at 100 yards?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »
Bob... I'll disagree with you.  The bullet does not rise. (in relationship to the barrel)  :chuckle:  Not at all.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
It rises in relation to the line of sight. I guess you probably know that.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
Bob... I'll disagree with you.  The bullet does not rise. (in relationship to the barrel)  :chuckle:  Not at all.

-Steve
I'm not sure what you're getting at Steve.  The bullet starts below the line of sight and ends up 2" or 3" high at 100 yards, depending on the how the gun is sighted in.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:35 PM »
 :)the bullet is falling from the instant it leaves the muzzle. the only reason it "arcs" is cause your barrel is pointed "up", to cross the line of sight.
duh
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Bob explained my sighting in method very well.
By sighting in dead on at 200 yds, you will be 7 1/2" low at 300. This is based on the info I already posted. That's definitely enough to miss most animals chest areas if you held dead center.
With the 3" high at 100 yd sight in method, the average high powered rifle shooting an average velocity will be within a 6" vital zone out to 300 yds without thinking about it. Any farther than that and you've really got to know yourself, your gun, the wind etc and the trajectory. Lots of variables that play a big part on an ethical shot past 300 yds. With the Maximum Point Blank Range method or 3" high at a hundred, one big variable has been removed from most shots.
As Bob stated, you can easily 'spine shot' your buck at 100yds +/- but that's why I aim for the heart when they're close - 0 - 150yds. You usually end up hitting the top of the heart and lungs.
Sighting in dead on at 100 or 200 yds is fine in the timber but spot one good buck across that draw on the next ridge and you'll be kicking yourself.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:07:27 AM by sakoshooter »
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »
Sighting in dead on at 100 or 200 yds is fine in the timber but spot one good buck across that draw on the next ridge and you'll be kicking yourself.

Not really, you just need to know your rifles trajectory, and hold a little high to compensate for the longer shots. I'd rather have to hold high at 300 yards than hold low at 200 yards. Generally with the longer shots you will have more time to think about it. If I sight my 270 in 3 inches high at 100, it's over 4 inches high at 200. The 3 inches high at 100 yards rule of thumb became popular before laser rangefinders were available, and it kind of made more sense then. Now, with a rangefinder, on the longer shots you don't have to guess at the distance so it's fairly easy to compensate.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »
:)the bullet is falling from the instant it leaves the muzzle. the only reason it "arcs" is cause your barrel is pointed "up", to cross the line of sight.
duh
Carl

:yeah:

I made a comment earlier just to note to the new people so there is not confusion.  That's all.

-Steve

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 09:37:26 PM »
And the higher above your barrel that your sights/scope is, the greater the angle for that rise.  Can make for an interesting trajectory.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
duh
Carl

I made a comment earlier just to note to the new people so there is not confusion.  That's all.

-Steve

Do people actually believe that a bullet rises when it leaves the barrel?  That would defy the laws of gravity!   :o

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »
Where's the "thread jacked" smiley?

The OP asked about sighting in a rifle, not a discourse on external ballistics.

If one wants to get pedantic about it, a bullet can indeed rise.  Point your barrel straight up, pull the trigger, and try to convince that it is dropping.

Gravity works on the bullet the second it leaves the barrel, but its absolute rise or fall, relative to the earth, is a factor primarily of the angle of departure. 

Let's hope that the OP understands we are talking about the bullet's path relative to the sight plane.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
 :jacked:  Reading here, I think the OP has enough information on how to sight in his rifle. A discussion will often start with one subject and evolve into something else once the original subject fizzles.

Do people actually believe that a bullet rises when it leaves the barrel?  That would defy the laws of gravity!   :o

I spent years on the Firing Line and The High Road discussion forums.  Yes, some people do feel the bullet rises out of the muzzle.

Christ! Forget I made the comment.

-Steve

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 07:14:28 AM »
duh
Carl

I made a comment earlier just to note to the new people so there is not confusion.  That's all.

-Steve

Yes, they do. I hear it all the time.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »
Wow, can sure tell we are ready to do some shooting!
I can't believe the fact that there are 2 ways to attack this, correction or compensation. You guys are all compensating, try telling him how to correct now....lol.

Offline BallisticsNut

• Hunter
    • Safari Club International Seattle Puget Sound Chapter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
In theory, the harmonics of a barrel could cause the bullet to rise, ever so slightly from the point of the barrel position.  So, to say that a bullet never rises once it leaves the barrel it not entirely correct.  You could determine that the "barrel whip" could actually cause the bullet to rise above the plane of the barrel once shot if the cartridge is not tuned for that particular rifle.  This is why we tune each cartridge for each particular rifle.  I have seen many references to this topic, such as "barrel whip" the "sine wave affect" and barrel "harmonics".  Essentially, each talking about the same thing.  Personally, I have seen the affects of this barrel whip in action.  I would see as much as 4-6" variance in shot placements, shooting from a stationary barrel position at a distance of 200 yards.  Testing the harmonics of a particular rifle and adjusting or reducing  the "barrel whip" so that the bullet leaves the barrel at the optimum time to produce the most accurate shots.  Thus, the term ladder testing.
 :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal