collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I want to Film Your hunt!!!  (Read 17597 times)

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
Re: I need Hunters For My Hunting Video!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
I'd just think it's easier to assume they film like every other elk hunt rather than the only guys who bring 8 in the brush each time lol . . .

Offline fish-on37

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Alan K......   I agree

Offline jryoung

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
I can see what he's after I think execution could be a little better.   He want's to make a hunting video, and that's cool, I love hunting footage, especially if done well.  However, when you read the first post and words like "world championship" and "year we shoot Rosie's in WA and OR" you'd think there would be more to back that up than one video (which is not a hunting video) on his youtube channel.  

http://www.youtube.com/user/Battllingbullsprod

As an example the guy who won the pro-division world championship Corey Jacobson (from Elk101.com) and the Men's division winner, Dirk Durham (Corey's hunting buddy) have the elk calling footage to back up their on stage accolades.  I mean, you hear plenty about the lack of elk in ID because of the woofs, but their footage isn't helping the hunters cause, they slay some serious bulls.  

Congrats on coming in third, congrats on pursuing your new adventure in making a hunting film.  But, if I may make a suggestion, people want to know what you can do for them. In this case, if someone was to invite you into their camp, on their long awaited draw hunt they probably want some solid support that you can call in the field and draw in the big boys and aren't someone who can only make elk pretty sounds on a lighted stage.

Here is Elk 101's youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/buglelk101#p/u

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 06:03:40 PM »
Hey Dustin.  I respect your work ethic and ambition, but what you should realize is there are some damn good hunters on this site.  Men & woman who can go toe to toe with anyone climbing around in the hill with a weapon.  These hunters are the salt of the earth.  They might not compete for medals or ribbons or trophies -- they're just damn good hunters, that's all.

What I'm saying is your approach, all your flattering talking, won't get you what you want.  Your introduction sounds like you are trying to talk yourself up, much as you can.  It aint working.  I wrote magazine articles for years & never did brag about what a hotshot hunter I was.  Editors started liking me & fellow hunters would freely relay their experiences and help me dig up stories.  Readers would write to me, and I would never brag -- just answer question politely & wish them the best of luck.  In any media related field, your relationship with viewers and your clientele is your big asset.  Dropping names or counting up scores is just gonna turn people off.  Your image is so important.  You gotta make people feel good before they start liking you.  Before people will listen, you have to lend and ear.  Show patience and compassion.  Killing a big bull on film won't make you an icon, but patience and compassion for others surely will.

Sounds like you have the work ethic, and good intentions.  You're also young, so you aren't too set in your ways.  Now you need to win the hearts of your clients and viewers.  Lead by example.  Be a good friend to the community.  Sincerely offer your video services without talking about yourself.  Ask your people questions about past hunts & show interest in them as human beings.  Give them a smile & call them by their name.  Keep your positive attitude, one of your great assets.  Make as many friends as you possibly can.  Your business is not about bulls, calls, trophies, and ribbons -- it is 100% people.  Real people, like the ones on this site.

I hope you won't take offense to my comments.  These are things I would say to my own son.  They are things my grandpa taught to me, and his philosophy has served me well. 

Best of luck,

Kevin

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Hey Dustin.  I respect your work ethic and ambition, but what you should realize is there are some damn good hunters on this site.  Men & woman who can go toe to toe with anyone climbing around in the hill with a weapon.  These hunters are the salt of the earth.  They might not compete for medals or ribbons or trophies -- they're just damn good hunters, that's all.

What I'm saying is your approach, all your flattering talking, won't get you what you want.  Your introduction sounds like you are trying to talk yourself up, much as you can.  It aint working.  I wrote magazine articles for years & never did brag about what a hotshot hunter I was.  Editors started liking me & fellow hunters would freely relay their experiences and help me dig up stories.  Readers would write to me, and I would never brag -- just answer question politely & wish them the best of luck.  In any media related field, your relationship with viewers and your clientele is your big asset.  Dropping names or counting up scores is just gonna turn people off.  Your image is so important.  You gotta make people feel good before they start liking you.  Before people will listen, you have to lend and ear.  Show patience and compassion.  Killing a big bull on film won't make you an icon, but patience and compassion for others surely will.

Sounds like you have the work ethic, and good intentions.  You're also young, so you aren't too set in your ways.  Now you need to win the hearts of your clients and viewers.  Lead by example.  Be a good friend to the community.  Sincerely offer your video services without talking about yourself.  Ask your people questions about past hunts & show interest in them as human beings.  Give them a smile & call them by their name.  Keep your positive attitude, one of your great assets.  Make as many friends as you possibly can.  Your business is not about bulls, calls, trophies, and ribbons -- it is 100% people.  Real people, like the ones on this site.

I hope you won't take offense to my comments.  These are things I would say to my own son.  They are things my grandpa taught to me, and his philosophy has served me well. 

Best of luck,

Kevin

That there is a good post.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »
Absolute spot on advice!    

Its evident you are full of enthusiasm and have the world by its tail as many 18-20 year olds do.   Good luck and listen to Smokepoles advice.

Offline alwinearcher

• Unit 204
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 06:55:30 PM »

Best of luck,

Kevin

Well said!
Matt Alwine

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »
I love this site!!!   If I get drawn for Arizona or Utah I will give you a call.  Since I will most likely go down by myself because my wife will be working so it would be good to have a few other callers down there.  Any person going down with me will sign a NDA stating that you will not mention the unit or location of that the hunt.
275 down 2

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 07:59:29 PM »
What is the biggest bull you killed Ron? I want to see some pictues of dead elk from september. Its what I love to do. Nothing better than calling bulls in September.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: I want to Film Your hunt!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 10:54:26 PM »
Hey Dustin.  I respect your work ethic and ambition, but what you should realize is there are some damn good hunters on this site.  Men & woman who can go toe to toe with anyone climbing around in the hill with a weapon.  These hunters are the salt of the earth.  They might not compete for medals or ribbons or trophies -- they're just damn good hunters, that's all.

What I'm saying is your approach, all your flattering talking, won't get you what you want.  Your introduction sounds like you are trying to talk yourself up, much as you can.  It aint working.  I wrote magazine articles for years & never did brag about what a hotshot hunter I was.  Editors started liking me & fellow hunters would freely relay their experiences and help me dig up stories.  Readers would write to me, and I would never brag -- just answer question politely & wish them the best of luck.  In any media related field, your relationship with viewers and your clientele is your big asset.  Dropping names or counting up scores is just gonna turn people off.  Your image is so important.  You gotta make people feel good before they start liking you.  Before people will listen, you have to lend and ear.  Show patience and compassion.  Killing a big bull on film won't make you an icon, but patience and compassion for others surely will.

Sounds like you have the work ethic, and good intentions.  You're also young, so you aren't too set in your ways.  Now you need to win the hearts of your clients and viewers.  Lead by example.  Be a good friend to the community.  Sincerely offer your video services without talking about yourself.  Ask your people questions about past hunts & show interest in them as human beings.  Give them a smile & call them by their name.  Keep your positive attitude, one of your great assets.  Make as many friends as you possibly can.  Your business is not about bulls, calls, trophies, and ribbons -- it is 100% people.  Real people, like the ones on this site.

I hope you won't take offense to my comments.  These are things I would say to my own son.  They are things my grandpa taught to me, and his philosophy has served me well.  

Best of luck,

Kevin

I agree with Smokepole, Matt and Alan.  It's all about relating to the people (hunters).

We have had a blast this last year starting and getting Primetime Outdoors off the ground.  It has been a lot of fun but at the same time has turned into a lot of work.  We took the approach that hunting is supposed to be fun and we would not change that, by introducing a camera.  

We will never make it rich doing what we are doing.  We will be lucky to recoop the costs it took to get started.  What we have got in return, is the chance to meet a lot of great people and we look forward to meeting more members of the community in the future.

Primetime Outdoors wishes you the best of luck.  Just be yourself and don't try to be who the "professional hunting personalities" make it look like you have to be.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:26:37 AM by JPhelps »

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »
I meant no offence, disrespect, or anything, just trying to find out the same information I would ask ANY newcomer to this site, 7 posts, how about more of an introduction, pictures whatever ?
He has a similar add on Primo's Cabin Chat, and I am not really that trusting of someone who has a first post "offering" to come to my spot and film me.
Now if  he said come to my spot, I need shooters to film, or started out in introductions showing some animals, even if they were cows....
Just trying to figure out if it would be worth taking a chance and showing him a good area.
Newbies could use a little intro time, before offering "an opportunity you don't wanna miss out on!!!...."
Now if Alwine was making the offer........
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Online CamoDup

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Aint here for a long time. Here for a good time
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »

Best of luck,

Kevin

That there is a good post.

:tup:

Offline madmack76

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »
you post a add pretty much you get criticized and you don't respond huh i would think its fishy
hey anybody got a towel, i just hit a waterbuffalo

Offline Harold

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 02:26:52 AM »
well i think this post got pretty intimidating for him. i think its as simple as he realized me might be good at something is really excited and wants to do something with it. just simply is going the wrong way and not being a peoples person about it. best advice for ya would be to do as much with friends and family to build a "portfolio" and then come to a site like this with proof to back your abilities in the field. :twocents: everyone has made some good points im just tryin to be positive for him. best of luck to ya tho
Life's a garden. Dig it.

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 06:48:22 AM »
I think his public relations and communication was lacking but I believe he is excited and has good intentions. I think we have given him plenty of good advice. I am sure he gets the point by now. We can probably cut him a break at this point.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]