collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WWOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOO  (Read 21475 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: WWOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 10:43:53 AM »
I don't like the idea of not having all of my own gear with me, or checking my bow and stuff.  Also the logistics of getting your meat and cape and antlers back.  Your biggest risk is you r vehicle breaking down and sinking your hunt.  Then again, your bags go to china and you end up in NM, that would be bad too.

Offline AutumnPulse

• Be a Straight-Shooter in All that you do.....
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF (Life Member) Spokane Walleye Club (Board Member) NRA
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »
Boneaddict and everyone

hello to all, I am new to this site and like many of you, was directed this way by fellow WA hunting members over at MM.  I have spoken with many of you (via thread reply) over there and I look forward to discussions that will take place here, without having to wade through the knee deep threads about Utah. (even though I wouldn't mind a Utah LE tag someday)

Boneaddict,

Judging from one of your earlier posts on this thread, I see that I am not the only one who has politicin' to do when hunting season comes around. 

Congrats on the NM tag, I am sure you will have a blast

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »
autumnpulse...nice to see you joined up. did you draw a tag too??
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Fletch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »
As far as hunting out of state goes...I get the maps and start contacting people...I'm like Bone and dont like to ask but eventually you find a couple of people or biologists to give you a little...having the maps handy when you call you can circle the areas they chat about...after talking to several people about a particular area you see areas of overlap in your circles...this is where I look when I go early.  Has worked for me in Montana in two different parts of the state and a trip to Az. Doing homework is essential and why Im a popular guy to travel with...I dont like to go without a good chance of a good hunt.
 I will go early but like Bone only a day or two...for this hunt I would go three...Im not as confident when it comes to elk...haha  best of luck

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 02:51:51 PM »
You know your dieing to come with me to help pack, and to whipe bull slobber off your face when he screams at you.  You're not as good looking as Rose, but I'm pretty sure you can carry more.  She wants to go this time, but all I have to do is mention there are big snakes down there.  :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 03:51:59 PM »
PS...I've had several SUCCESSFUL hunts due to Fletchs research. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 03:57:51 PM »
PS...I  meant to ask...how was sleeping in the yard last night??
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 04:48:58 PM »

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 04:50:56 PM »
Boneadict,

That 50 lbs of salt ain't going to be enough.  Especially if you are talking about skinning that bull Life Size.  You are going to need atleat 100 lbs.  You can never have to much salt.  

If you are going on this hunt by yourself it will be a pain in the rear to get both the meat and a Life Size hide out befor they spoil.   :(  

Offline Timber

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:02 PM »
Congratulations boneaddict! Something tells me you are going to make the most this tag and come back with a whopper!

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 08:19:51 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 08:47:50 PM »
Hey Creepingdeath, I found your pics tonight, now I just need to scan them, upload them and send them to you.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2007, 10:43:41 AM »
Bone - I had the 16A tag last year.   I think you've got the right approach going 3 days early.   The tail end of the middle hunt will be going on, so you can see where the locals and guides (the majority of the tag holders) concentrate and set up your camp elsewhere.  The bugling should be going full swing by then too.  Depending on the weather, they may not bugle on any given day - but over three days, I would think they'd go nuts at least one day and give away their location.  Seemed that most people were concentrated closer to town, and there were very few people spread throughout the unit.  We had some good info going in and were able to find a place that basically hadn't been touched by other hunters (at least we didn't see any, and the elk didn't seem spooked).  That being said, there's only 150 tags total for 16D over the three hunts, so there really isn't that much pressure at any given time.  Also, your tag is at the peak of the rut, so the bulls really aren't concerned about camoflauged archers sneaking around.  With the limited pressure, I don't see the need to pack in.  This isn't an OTC Colorado hunt.  Personally, I'd rather stay mobile until I found the bugles, then put my energy into the stalk.  We ultimately found a honey hole a couple miles from a road, and just day packed back in there each day.  Also, it was really hot a couple of days down there...I wouldn't want to be too far away from shade and/or a cooler. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »
Thankyou so much for the info Wacoueshunter.  I figure any 300 inch bull within Trad bow range and they are toast.  I have always wanted to bag a bull in the 300 inch range.  I know there will be much bigger ones running around.  I might change that goal if I see something big before the season starts. Thanks again, Doug

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
No worries Bone, hope it's helpful even though we drew different units.  Well done on the tag - I am SOOOOO jealous.  Wish I could go back.  If I was made of $$, I'd drop the cash for a landowner tag in a heartbeat.  My archery bull experience is limited, but that hunt blew away any deer or elk hunt I've been on.  No out of state bull tags for me this year, but I'm tagging along on a Unit 8 AZ bull hunt this fall.  So now I can compare one of AZ's best with one of NM's best.  Even without the tag, can't wait to get out with the buglers again.  There's nothing like it. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal