collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: need new shotgun!!!!!  (Read 5214 times)

huntingaddictwa21

need new shotgun!!!!!
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:25:28 AM »
I was wondering if anybody on here hunts upland birds with a benelli nova pump or a super nova in a 12 gauge??? I saw one at hooked on toys and was pretty set on buying it but wanted to know what your guys input was on it.  or I am also open to suggestions on what I should buy.  I have been hunting with an ithica (sp?) 12 gauge pump that my grandfather gave me before he past away and I want to retire it for fear of hurting it.  so thanks everybody looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say!!!!

Nate

"Wack'em and Stack'em wenatchee style!!!!"

Offline Snowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • If only it was easy, than it wouldn't be a journey
Re: need new shotgun!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:05:39 AM »
Can't go wrong with the benelli. Owned several and went through several semi's and now own a bennelli nova pump 3 1/2" mag. Also shoots 3" and 2 3/4". Durable shotgun for a great price. Can take a beating and keep on going. Use it for upland and duck, goose. Bought my son a 20 gauge youth. I've put mine through its' pace out duck and goose hunting and will never buy :hunt2: a different brand or even a semi. You got it wack em and stack em Nate the benelli will last a lifetime. :twocents:
Hunting and Fishing is not what I do. But who I am...

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:42:11 AM »
Couldnt give you much of an opinion on the nova with upland bird. The only thing other than waterfowl that ive snagged with mine was a couple of grouse. Other than that my nova has been a a work horse. Laying in the mud waiting for geese. Smooth pumping on the trap range.  That is something that they have put into the design. Its ergonomically supposed to be able to pump faster, with a super fast and easy field strip that can put the firing pin in your hand in less than a minute.

On this trip right here i hit 3 birds/three shots on one flyby.  We were getting so much sand in our guns from leaning behind sandy logs that my buddy's gun stopped working, but my nova still went off every time.

When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:45:20 AM »
Couldnt give you much of an opinion on the nova with upland bird. The only thing other than waterfowl that ive snagged with mine was a couple of grouse. Other than that my nova has been a a work horse. Laying in the mud waiting for geese. Smooth pumping on the trap range.  That is something that they have put into the design. Its ergonomically supposed to be able to pump faster, with a super fast and easy field strip that can put the firing pin in your hand in less than a minute.

On this trip right here i hit 3 birds/three shots on one flyby.  We were getting so much sand in our guns from leaning behind sandy logs that my buddy's gun stopped working, but my nova still went off every time.

Thats my post. Sorry. wrong profile.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline quacker whacker

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »
I got one. good gun, i use it for everything, duck, goose, gouse, turkey, quail, phesent, etc. even got a coyote with it.

Offline snohohunter

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »
I have the Camo Super Nova, and I have the same opinion as everyone else.  I true work horse and absolutely love it.  I looked at a number of shotguns, and I'm extremely happy with my decision. 

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »
I'd buy the supernova especially if your real tall or short. The Nova can't be adjusted.

That said, I'd buy a Browning BPS. I grew up on an 870 but when lead was outlawed we bought 3 1/2" brownings (remmy didn't offer them yet) now I have 3 and love them. I've got a 3", a 3 1/2", and a 10 ga.

I'll never even consider anything but browning shotguns from now on.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 03:10:26 PM »
I own the Nova and think it is very durable and reliable.  I would reccommend it for waterfowl, turkeys, coyotes, and deer.  I would not recommend it for upland.  It is a long gun with a fairly long stroke.  I am 5'-10, and have average length arms, not T-rex arms, and it is a bit of a reach at the outside part of the stroke.  Because of the length of the gun, I think it is a little bit slower to bring up.  I also am not a big fan of a large front site, that can almost cover a quail.  Just my opinion.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Rhinoron247

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »
Great gun,  I own a 20 and a 12.  At first I had a hard time with fast moving targets like quail because it was weighted so different that my model 12.  After a season I got it down and love this gun.  Great choice

huntingaddictwa21

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »
thanks alot for the input guys!!!!! I am really looking forward to buying a new nova or a super nova... you guys have made them sound amazing and I can't wait!!!! I will get a picture of it with my weim and I on here so all of you can put a face with the name!!!!! well thanks guy!!! maybe this fall some of us can get together and shoot the breeze if any of you live in wenatchee!!!!! have a good one!!!!

Nate

"wack'em and stack'em wenatchee style!!!!"

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »
This is probably stating the obvious but make sure you take the time to compare the gun to a couple others when it's time to buy.  It's really important that the gun fit you well.  A great gun that doesn't fit isn't worth much to ya.  Pick up an shoulder the Nova, an 870, and a BPS just to make sure. 

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »
nova's come with multiple chokes as well. 870's used to but not anymore. thats another thing to look at when it comes down to a photo finish.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline chukar-ridge-quest

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 07:45:17 PM »
All I hunt is upland birds. One of my hunting partners shoots a Nova, blued and a synthetic stock. Takes 3 1/2 for waterfowl, and light as hell.  Compared to my 1970, 870 wingmaster. ;) Great gun, I'll go buy one this Fall.

CRQ
GOD GAVE US TWO EARS AND ONE MOUTH, SO WE CAN LISTEN TWICE AS MUCH AS WE TALK!!!

Offline Snowman

• Longhunter
  • If only it was easy, than it wouldn't be a journey
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
They are great guns. Have the same as your buddy does and love it. Can't go wrong with a benelli. The novas are the hottest selling waterfowl gun on the market. Durable as all get up. Bought my son one in the youth 20gauge with camo stock.
Hunting and Fishing is not what I do. But who I am...

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 08:29:52 PM »
I have shot one and didnt like the fell, but it all up to what fits you. I use an 870, or an old rememington model 11, I have never had a problem with them and have never heard bad about the benelli.

Offline Huckleberry

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
I've had one for the past few years. It usually gets 70-80 days per year in the field. It's decent as long as it's kept clean. Doesn't seem to handle sand/mud like an 870 and doesn't shoot/eject shells with the extended brass very well. It is cheap and doesn't kick bad though. Chokes are easy to find and it shoulders nice. The safety took some getting used to. I'm growing more accustomed to it but absolutely hated it for the first month or so. It is better than the 870 super mag. I've got nothing good to say about those....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]