• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:43:56 PM by hunterrcc »

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Excellent.  Dogs are just as bad a coyotes.

When I was a kid I was on the lower Yakima just messing around with my 22.  Bout February after the snow left.  At just a few feet a doe came running by.  In seconds was a dog, Shepard mix hot after the doe.  I shot him.  He was followed by several more, some were young pups, around a dozen or so.  Cant remember exactly how many I killed, but I emptied the gun and reloaded. so that was 30 shots with the first rounds and then the finishing off shots.  I wounded several that ran off.

Now here is the weird part of the story.  A couple of years later I ran into a farmer who I knew very well.  he was feeding his cattle not far from where this happened.  there was this dog in his truck with a messed up leg.  The dog started growling at me real vicious like.  He got after the dog and said that the dog never acted like that to anyone.  He said he found this dog when it was a pup in the barn and that some one had shot it.  It took me a while to piece it together, but later I figured out that that was a pup from the pack that was chasing that doe.  Never did go back and tell him the story.

Moral of the story, deer chasing dogs deserve no mercy.
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
PICS PICS PICS

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
This is the reason I started packing in the first place.  After using my Mountain bike as a shield and whacking a couple dogs gone feral, on two rides... way up the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. 

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
I would have done the same but unless you are being attacked or they are chasing livestock it is not legal.  I doubt anyone on here will turn you in but the post is out there.

Offline kibber

• Tracker
Mike450r never heard of this being a problem. What law says you can't shoot a wild dog in the wild?

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
It sounded to me like they were growling at HIM.   :dunno: 

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
Mike450r never heard of this being a problem. What law says you can't shoot a wild dog in the wild?

I will have to find it, will post when I do.  It basically says WDFW must be called and an agent needs to be the one to make the call whether to dispatch the dog(s) or not.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
I would have done the same but unless you are being attacked or they are chasing livestock it is not legal.  I doubt anyone on here will turn you in but the post is out there.
+1...i had a dog get shot ~250 yds behind my house.  Of course the kid said she was chasing a deer... the next day when she died from a .22 in the gut I decided that if I ever had another dog shot I would beat the living $hit out of whoever did it. 

Shooting dogs that are not 100% wild and clearly a danger is a bad idea.  It's illegal and it could be someones pet/hunting dog.  Mine was a very nice young red bone hound.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Same thing happened to me near Ephrata. It was 5 pitbulls. I called the WDFW in Ephrata and they said it's not their problem.They told me to call the animal control people. I didn't because it's a waste of time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:37:39 PM by CAMPMEAT »
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
Good for you!! 

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
I think it is perfectly legal to shoot dogs harrassing animals, or feral animals for that matter (ie hogs).  Heck, 15 yrs ago my dad and I were watching a group of dogs surrounding a cow elk, when a sheriff pulled up, said go ahead and shoot em.  I had my video cam out, he took a couple shots at them with his rifle that he was packing.  He says they are a prob out there (yak valley).

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
77.12.315. Dogs harassing deer and elk--Declaration of emergency--Taking dogs into custody or destroying--Immunity

If the director determines that a severe problem exists in an area of the state because deer and elk are being pursued, harassed, attacked or killed by dogs, the director may declare by emergency rule that an emergency exists and specify the area where it is lawful for fish and wildlife officers to take into custody or destroy the dogs if necessary. Fish and wildlife officers who take into custody or destroy a dog pursuant to this section are immune from civil or criminal liability arising from their actions.

Unless these conditions are met, the dogs would need to be an immediate threat or harassing livestock to be legally killed by a civilian, otherwise would need to be killed by an officer of the WDFW.  Typically an officer can make the decision acting in the interest of the director and make the decision on the spot.  I am not condemning what you did by any means,  just saying I wouldn't post about it.  You could probably get it dismissed by a judge with common sense but I myself do not have the time or money to test it. 

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
 :mgun:  then ask questions.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
Way to clean up!

When I lived in the lower valley I shot a LOT of dogs.  Many with collars, many that were thin/sick/injured etc.  You are right about the hispanic population turning the dogs loose when they go back to Mexico.  October was usually a big month.  I think the most I killed in a month was 17 and that was October.  I tried several different ways to fix the problem, at that time Yakima county didn't have a animal control officer.  The people I talked to wanted me to catch, hold, bring to them and then pay a fee for them to kill them.  Screw that. 

First time I've ever heard of it being illegal to shoot someone elses dog on your property but in my situation there were always livestock involved.

Those of you that may be interested may want to look at Neospora.  Most vets I've talked to say virtually every herd they have tested for in the Yakima Valley has tested positive.

Kill em all, (minus the neighbor dogs), they get a warning or two first.

Gringo
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
What App did you get for your i phone??? I have one and I was looking. Not sure what to search?

thanks
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
What App did you get for your i phone??? I have one and I was looking. Not sure what to search?

thanks

I googled it, had it text to me, bought it for $1.99. I have to say the coolest app I have on my phone! Thanks!!!!!!!!  :tup:

Its very clear, strong sound. I just need to find some good speakers now.

Offline Buckslaya

• Hunter

I was waiting for the punchline, but it never came?? :dunno:
Expect nothing from anyone, except for the unexpected...

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
congrats sir, thanks for lookn out for the animals that cant defend themselves, thats the last thing these animals need is some mexi pup turnin his dog loose so he dont have to take care of it and pow are animals that we pursue pay the ultimate price.......  I FOR ONE CONGRADULATE YOU, AND YES KILL'EM ALL, KEEP UP THE FIRE FELLA.. :hello:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Sounds like self defense to me.  FIRE AWAY!

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough

TUMTUM, Wash. – Wednesday KREM 2 News learned about a second brutal attack on farm animals in the town of Tumtum.
4 out of the last five days farm animals in Tumtum have been killed.  Sheriff’s deputies say they have set up extra patrols to catch them, but even so people in the area are taking matters into their own hands.  They say they’re on the lookout for a gang of vicious dogs attacking and killing animals.
“I think it’s going to keep escalating and keep going until they’re caught,” said Mariann a neighbor in the area.
Tuesday night there was an attack at a farm on Scott’s Valley Road.  That’s where a valuable pygmy goat was killed along with the goat’s two babies.  That attack happened about a mile from the first attack KREM 2 News reported Tuesday night. Dozens of rabbits, sheep and chickens were savagely killed there.
“It was pretty intense, it seems like they’re going between houses,” said a neighbor.
The dogs started killing Saturday April 2nd and Sunday April 3rd, since then they have come back twice.  In all 11 sheep, 25 goats, several chickens and geese have been killed or gone missing for a value of approximately $3,500 dollars.

Check the video -http://www.krem.com/news/local/Vicious-dogs-attack-and-kill-more-Tum-Tum-farm-animals-119378154.html

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Shoot them all!
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
I don't like the idea of shooting dogs. It pains me a great deal, mainly because MY dog is my best friend... I would rather we kick the $hit out of the owners for not being responcible. I feel sorry for WaCoyoteHunter for loosing his dog... I used to think it was bad to confine your dog too much. I know now that it MY duty as dog owner to do so... My last Chessy chaised a neighbors horse when i let him run  and wan't paying attention. Thankfully the man gave me a kindly warning so I didn't have to figure it out the hard way... I would never admit to stacking dogs up like you did, but realize that there is too much red tape to bring judgment to those who should be held responcible. Many people in E Wa let thier dogs run, or have the mind set that if they get shot runover etc the dog was too stupid to figure it out... I've got too much time and $$$ invested in my mutt to have that same mindset.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
it isnt guys like you special t or guys that care for there dogs period. its people that dont want there dogs and turn there back on them so they have to fend for themselves, which leads to us having to take matters into our own hands i know i dont want to shoot a dog there is no thrill in that hunt, but i care for are farm animals and deer and elk than i do a dog that has reverted back to the wild  :twocents:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
it isnt guys like you special t or guys that care for there dogs period. its people that dont want there dogs and turn there back on them so they have to fend for themselves, which leads to us having to take matters into our own hands i know i dont want to shoot a dog there is no thrill in that hunt, but i care for are farm animals and deer and elk than i do a dog that has reverted back to the wild  :twocents:
:yeah:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
 :)Best reason I have heard to use an AR!! I think talking about may have been a bit unwise :dunno:
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
I need a link to the speakers.  :drool: I just got some moose calls for my phone to. The types of calls are endless!

Offline spookgus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Be wary and use discretion if your going to pull the trigger on domestic breeds on private property no matter what they are doing, unless you fear for your life or the life of other humans.
Teach your child to hold his tongue,
He will learn fast enough to speak

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
The west side of the state would probably arrest you for doing so, so I wouldn't post to much more info about it.  They arrested a guy a few years back for hitting a opossum.  Just take care of your business and go on with it.  Those that post it on a public forum chance getting in trouble.   :twocents:

Still stumped on how you hit that 500 yard shot and didn't get all those close yotes.   :dunno:   ;)
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
I just wish we could kick the owners of dogs like that in the Nutz! Not the dogs fault but they pay the price... Doesn't mean it what you did is wrong, IMO  >:(
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
I caught a wild/feral dog in a leg trap years ago. shoulda shot it, but I tried to let it go. Got bit on the knee in the process and had to go through the rabies treatment (NOT FUN).
So if you encounter them and do happen to get bitten. Go to the Doctor. :twocents:

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
Had a similar story.  Feral dog was injured and I fed it for a week or two, was trying to topically treat the infection and it tried to bite me.  Didn't break the skin but it pissed me off enough that ..... well, he didn't ever do it again.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Sidewinder

• Tracker
An orchard owner told me that dogs were damaging his equipment, chewing up the drip lines and hoses on his machinery. He shot one with his shotgun. The dog ran off his property. The cop came and was going to charge him. The neighbor that said that it was his dog ticked the cop off so bad that the orchard owner was not charged with shooting the dog. The neighbor was not going to have "his dog" treated for the gun shot wound, even when the orchard owner offered to pay the vet bill. Yes a lot of dogs are abandoned by the orchard workers when they leave. You have to be careful when shooting wild dogs. The dog that he shot was an abandoned dog.
May you have a target rich environment!

Offline CamoKevin

• Pilgrim
I know I am going to hear cr*p for this but here it goes.

I am a dog owner and he's my best friend but dogs/cats off the owner's property without tag/collar are fair game and I'm not talking about a lost dog in a neighborhood. If you let your animals roam around the woods on public lands or other people’s property without it being licensed your asking for something bad to happen, weather it’s legal or not.

Maybe it’s me being pissed about all the stray cats and idiot cat owners who think they don’t need to pay licensing fees or need to keep their animals on leash and on their property.

With that said I got my rescue beagle from the eastside and that’s where most rescue dogs come from east to west.

With that I would feel horrible to say the least if my dog got shot due to my own incompetence or inability to control him but I would only be able to blame myself.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
i dont think people are really talking about a stray dog or cat on his or her property, its about dogs that have been forgotten about by there owners and have reverted back to the wild and are chasing deer and elk and bothering farm animals or in this guys case coming into his game calls with bad intentions on their minds, like i said before most people with good common sense and just descent values wont have to worry about there dog gettn shot, i will tell you this though if my neihbors pitbulls get out and get on my property, which is a private small 5 acres, then YEE HAW IT OPEN SEASON, and it is sick but i will take pleasure in it, they are terrible dogs and i think the *censored* raises them to fight, they seem like they want to kill a fella anytime you walk by :bash:

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
Re: A pack of 14 Wild Dogs came in to my Coyote call!!! plus 2 yotes
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
Still stumped on how you hit that 500 yard shot and didn't get all those close yotes.     

Like Lee H Oswald...Luck.. 8) :rolleyes: ;)

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
My son had a room mate that was from the Philippines. When asked what some of the things that were hard to get used to here in the states, he said.      " Stray dogs...." Only the rich people had dogs and they stayed on the roof tops... Hey Ma... Whats for dinner.........
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline 724wd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
my bowhunting spot is a family plot with father/mother homesteaded on 160 acres.  their daughter's family live on the property and so does their son.  so, 3 houses on 160 acres.  2 years deer hunting there, the son's dog has been a thorn in my side multiple times.  last year late season i was walking to my stand and the dog was chasing deer in the same area.  daughter's husband wants me to shoot the dog, but i'm seeing no good from that!  but  MAN it gets tiring having deer chased away by a dog!

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »
I see good from that....

Just keep you mouth shut.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
I know I am going to hear cr*p for this but here it goes.

I am a dog owner and he's my best friend but dogs/cats off the owner's property without tag/collar are fair game and I'm not talking about a lost dog in a neighborhood. If you let your animals roam around the woods on public lands or other people’s property without it being licensed your asking for something bad to happen, weather it’s legal or not.

Maybe it’s me being pissed about all the stray cats and idiot cat owners who think they don’t need to pay licensing fees or need to keep their animals on leash and on their property.

With that said I got my rescue beagle from the eastside and that’s where most rescue dogs come from east to west.

With that I would feel horrible to say the least if my dog got shot due to my own incompetence or inability to control him but I would only be able to blame myself.

:tup:   :tup:

I trapped a stray cat IN MY SHOP, and all of a sudden there is a big uproar (against my better judgement, I did not shoot it, though if it had been after my chickens I would have)!  Another person's cat has not been seen for a couple of weeks, it runs loose and she even leaves the island for a week at a time, I've been blamed for shooting it even though I have never seen it even in my yard.  Never mind the huge number of racoons we have around here.  Another neighbor leaves for two weeks and just leaves her dog loose for my daughter to feed once a day.  Trapped that one in my racoon trap near the chicken coop one night, returned it to her.

People that do not take care of their animals have no room to complain if something bad happens to their animals.  Wish they would enforce the cat licensing laws, there wouldn't be a problem with funding then!

Offline homehunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
Shoot'em, Shovel,and shutup. that's what we do to wild dog's around here.   Although I don't shovel  :chuckle:

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »
leave and let lay
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
I'm of the mind, if you own an animal-and "love" it, keep track of it.

If it doesn't have a collar, its a coyote. It it DOES have a collar, but is on MY property, its a coyote.
This same theory works for cats too.....

Yea, here on the dry side, some folks believe they should just let their animals run loose. I say if you see them step one foot off of their property, shoot 'em.

Tired of hearing how so many folks love their dogs, and think they should be allowed to run free...yet they never think that all that "free" land belongs to somebody, who may have animals on it "they" love.
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal