• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:43:56 PM by hunterrcc »

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Excellent.  Dogs are just as bad a coyotes.

When I was a kid I was on the lower Yakima just messing around with my 22.  Bout February after the snow left.  At just a few feet a doe came running by.  In seconds was a dog, Shepard mix hot after the doe.  I shot him.  He was followed by several more, some were young pups, around a dozen or so.  Cant remember exactly how many I killed, but I emptied the gun and reloaded. so that was 30 shots with the first rounds and then the finishing off shots.  I wounded several that ran off.

Now here is the weird part of the story.  A couple of years later I ran into a farmer who I knew very well.  he was feeding his cattle not far from where this happened.  there was this dog in his truck with a messed up leg.  The dog started growling at me real vicious like.  He got after the dog and said that the dog never acted like that to anyone.  He said he found this dog when it was a pup in the barn and that some one had shot it.  It took me a while to piece it together, but later I figured out that that was a pup from the pack that was chasing that doe.  Never did go back and tell him the story.

Moral of the story, deer chasing dogs deserve no mercy.
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
PICS PICS PICS

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
This is the reason I started packing in the first place.  After using my Mountain bike as a shield and whacking a couple dogs gone feral, on two rides... way up the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. 

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
I would have done the same but unless you are being attacked or they are chasing livestock it is not legal.  I doubt anyone on here will turn you in but the post is out there.

Offline kibber

• Tracker
Mike450r never heard of this being a problem. What law says you can't shoot a wild dog in the wild?

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
It sounded to me like they were growling at HIM.   :dunno: 

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
Mike450r never heard of this being a problem. What law says you can't shoot a wild dog in the wild?

I will have to find it, will post when I do.  It basically says WDFW must be called and an agent needs to be the one to make the call whether to dispatch the dog(s) or not.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
I would have done the same but unless you are being attacked or they are chasing livestock it is not legal.  I doubt anyone on here will turn you in but the post is out there.
+1...i had a dog get shot ~250 yds behind my house.  Of course the kid said she was chasing a deer... the next day when she died from a .22 in the gut I decided that if I ever had another dog shot I would beat the living $hit out of whoever did it. 

Shooting dogs that are not 100% wild and clearly a danger is a bad idea.  It's illegal and it could be someones pet/hunting dog.  Mine was a very nice young red bone hound.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Same thing happened to me near Ephrata. It was 5 pitbulls. I called the WDFW in Ephrata and they said it's not their problem.They told me to call the animal control people. I didn't because it's a waste of time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:37:39 PM by CAMPMEAT »
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Good for you!! 

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
I think it is perfectly legal to shoot dogs harrassing animals, or feral animals for that matter (ie hogs).  Heck, 15 yrs ago my dad and I were watching a group of dogs surrounding a cow elk, when a sheriff pulled up, said go ahead and shoot em.  I had my video cam out, he took a couple shots at them with his rifle that he was packing.  He says they are a prob out there (yak valley).

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
77.12.315. Dogs harassing deer and elk--Declaration of emergency--Taking dogs into custody or destroying--Immunity

If the director determines that a severe problem exists in an area of the state because deer and elk are being pursued, harassed, attacked or killed by dogs, the director may declare by emergency rule that an emergency exists and specify the area where it is lawful for fish and wildlife officers to take into custody or destroy the dogs if necessary. Fish and wildlife officers who take into custody or destroy a dog pursuant to this section are immune from civil or criminal liability arising from their actions.

Unless these conditions are met, the dogs would need to be an immediate threat or harassing livestock to be legally killed by a civilian, otherwise would need to be killed by an officer of the WDFW.  Typically an officer can make the decision acting in the interest of the director and make the decision on the spot.  I am not condemning what you did by any means,  just saying I wouldn't post about it.  You could probably get it dismissed by a judge with common sense but I myself do not have the time or money to test it. 

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
 :mgun:  then ask questions.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
Way to clean up!

When I lived in the lower valley I shot a LOT of dogs.  Many with collars, many that were thin/sick/injured etc.  You are right about the hispanic population turning the dogs loose when they go back to Mexico.  October was usually a big month.  I think the most I killed in a month was 17 and that was October.  I tried several different ways to fix the problem, at that time Yakima county didn't have a animal control officer.  The people I talked to wanted me to catch, hold, bring to them and then pay a fee for them to kill them.  Screw that. 

First time I've ever heard of it being illegal to shoot someone elses dog on your property but in my situation there were always livestock involved.

Those of you that may be interested may want to look at Neospora.  Most vets I've talked to say virtually every herd they have tested for in the Yakima Valley has tested positive.

Kill em all, (minus the neighbor dogs), they get a warning or two first.

Gringo
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand