collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ...  (Read 13789 times)

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
I caught a wild/feral dog in a leg trap years ago. shoulda shot it, but I tried to let it go. Got bit on the knee in the process and had to go through the rabies treatment (NOT FUN).
So if you encounter them and do happen to get bitten. Go to the Doctor. :twocents:

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Had a similar story.  Feral dog was injured and I fed it for a week or two, was trying to topically treat the infection and it tried to bite me.  Didn't break the skin but it pissed me off enough that ..... well, he didn't ever do it again.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Sidewinder

• Tracker
An orchard owner told me that dogs were damaging his equipment, chewing up the drip lines and hoses on his machinery. He shot one with his shotgun. The dog ran off his property. The cop came and was going to charge him. The neighbor that said that it was his dog ticked the cop off so bad that the orchard owner was not charged with shooting the dog. The neighbor was not going to have "his dog" treated for the gun shot wound, even when the orchard owner offered to pay the vet bill. Yes a lot of dogs are abandoned by the orchard workers when they leave. You have to be careful when shooting wild dogs. The dog that he shot was an abandoned dog.
May you have a target rich environment!

Offline CamoKevin

• Pilgrim
I know I am going to hear cr*p for this but here it goes.

I am a dog owner and he's my best friend but dogs/cats off the owner's property without tag/collar are fair game and I'm not talking about a lost dog in a neighborhood. If you let your animals roam around the woods on public lands or other people’s property without it being licensed your asking for something bad to happen, weather it’s legal or not.

Maybe it’s me being pissed about all the stray cats and idiot cat owners who think they don’t need to pay licensing fees or need to keep their animals on leash and on their property.

With that said I got my rescue beagle from the eastside and that’s where most rescue dogs come from east to west.

With that I would feel horrible to say the least if my dog got shot due to my own incompetence or inability to control him but I would only be able to blame myself.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
i dont think people are really talking about a stray dog or cat on his or her property, its about dogs that have been forgotten about by there owners and have reverted back to the wild and are chasing deer and elk and bothering farm animals or in this guys case coming into his game calls with bad intentions on their minds, like i said before most people with good common sense and just descent values wont have to worry about there dog gettn shot, i will tell you this though if my neihbors pitbulls get out and get on my property, which is a private small 5 acres, then YEE HAW IT OPEN SEASON, and it is sick but i will take pleasure in it, they are terrible dogs and i think the *censored* raises them to fight, they seem like they want to kill a fella anytime you walk by :bash:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
Re: A pack of 14 Wild Dogs came in to my Coyote call!!! plus 2 yotes
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
Still stumped on how you hit that 500 yard shot and didn't get all those close yotes.     

Like Lee H Oswald...Luck.. 8) :rolleyes: ;)

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
My son had a room mate that was from the Philippines. When asked what some of the things that were hard to get used to here in the states, he said.      " Stray dogs...." Only the rich people had dogs and they stayed on the roof tops... Hey Ma... Whats for dinner.........
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline 724wd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
my bowhunting spot is a family plot with father/mother homesteaded on 160 acres.  their daughter's family live on the property and so does their son.  so, 3 houses on 160 acres.  2 years deer hunting there, the son's dog has been a thorn in my side multiple times.  last year late season i was walking to my stand and the dog was chasing deer in the same area.  daughter's husband wants me to shoot the dog, but i'm seeing no good from that!  but  MAN it gets tiring having deer chased away by a dog!

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »
I see good from that....

Just keep you mouth shut.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
I know I am going to hear cr*p for this but here it goes.

I am a dog owner and he's my best friend but dogs/cats off the owner's property without tag/collar are fair game and I'm not talking about a lost dog in a neighborhood. If you let your animals roam around the woods on public lands or other people’s property without it being licensed your asking for something bad to happen, weather it’s legal or not.

Maybe it’s me being pissed about all the stray cats and idiot cat owners who think they don’t need to pay licensing fees or need to keep their animals on leash and on their property.

With that said I got my rescue beagle from the eastside and that’s where most rescue dogs come from east to west.

With that I would feel horrible to say the least if my dog got shot due to my own incompetence or inability to control him but I would only be able to blame myself.

:tup:   :tup:

I trapped a stray cat IN MY SHOP, and all of a sudden there is a big uproar (against my better judgement, I did not shoot it, though if it had been after my chickens I would have)!  Another person's cat has not been seen for a couple of weeks, it runs loose and she even leaves the island for a week at a time, I've been blamed for shooting it even though I have never seen it even in my yard.  Never mind the huge number of racoons we have around here.  Another neighbor leaves for two weeks and just leaves her dog loose for my daughter to feed once a day.  Trapped that one in my racoon trap near the chicken coop one night, returned it to her.

People that do not take care of their animals have no room to complain if something bad happens to their animals.  Wish they would enforce the cat licensing laws, there wouldn't be a problem with funding then!

Offline homehunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
Shoot'em, Shovel,and shutup. that's what we do to wild dog's around here.   Although I don't shovel  :chuckle:

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »
leave and let lay
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
I'm of the mind, if you own an animal-and "love" it, keep track of it.

If it doesn't have a collar, its a coyote. It it DOES have a collar, but is on MY property, its a coyote.
This same theory works for cats too.....

Yea, here on the dry side, some folks believe they should just let their animals run loose. I say if you see them step one foot off of their property, shoot 'em.

Tired of hearing how so many folks love their dogs, and think they should be allowed to run free...yet they never think that all that "free" land belongs to somebody, who may have animals on it "they" love.
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]