collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inconsiderate hunters  (Read 10417 times)

Offline KLRKeith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Inconsiderate hunters
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
We were on stand 30 minutes before daylight this a.m.  I had drove out to some state land near the Spokane/Lincoln county line last night and found two birds roosting with the howler.  So we get in this a.m all set up they were still on roost and looking like a good hunt was going to unfold.   Then I saw headlights near my truck.  Well they'll leave I thought.  For 20 minutes they sat around I guess because when shooting light hit I saw them walking right to the roost trees.  I stop calling because both toms had hit the ground by then and were making their way to us when the toms shut up.  Next time I heard a gobble was the tom running away.  My partner and I pick up and leave.  It took all my will power not to Key that damn black 4 runner.  We went back around 1000 they were gone and of course down the trail about a 1/2 mile was a big pile of feathers where someone shot a turkey...  I'm still surprised someone would do that.    Unethical bastiges..lol

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Inconsiderate hunters
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
Unfortunately too many times the desire to harvest and feel successful overrides ethical sense. 
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
 :yeah: Spot on!
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline hogsniper

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
Its all part of hunting public land!   I had a guy walk right to the roost tree yesterday morning as we were set up!    I could hear him calling from a long ways off and the gobblers would go off every time he hit the call.  He did this until he was almost under the tree and blew all three of them out.   The guy didnt even know we were set up on the other side of the meadow but thats just how it goes! You wonder what these people are thinking sometimes!  Oh well their is  Always tomorrow!!!!

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »
had several instanses this past week. Rude people to. going with a guide from now on. Rick ;)
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
I understand your frustration, but that goes along with hunting public land. Is it really rude or unethical to hunt a public spot when somebody is already there?

Offline oldleclercrd

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
I understand your frustration, but that goes along with hunting public land. Is it really rude or unethical to hunt a public spot when somebody is already there?

I think if you know someone is working a group of birds and you know it when you try to butt in, thats rude. However, if you have no knowledge of any hunters in the area and start calling, and just so happen to screw up someones setup thats just public land.
Aim small, miss small.

Offline GlennGTR

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
The answer to that would be, absolutely it is rude. Do they still teach ethics in hunter ed? Not so much a part of what you get when hunting public land, but what you get when you raise an entire generation of inconsiderate, rude , slob hunters. We are not helping ourselves by raising the next generation to show little respect.
You don't need a flatter shooting rifle or a larger caliber.What you need is good field marksmanship. Jeff Cooper.

Offline KLRKeith

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »

Yep I understand it's public land.  I was just venting. lol..
I hunt public land 99% of the time and it's not a first.
Yes it's wrong when you know someone is set up.  I pulled in there last weekend and another vechicle was allready there so I left. 

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
I hear ya buddy, dont think that Im that kind of guy. Stuff like that is why I avoid public land like the plague. I'd do whatever it takes to find yourself some private land to hunt. I understand the ethics of not spoiling another hunters hunt when their working a bird, but it is rare to find a public spot all to yourself. Good luck on the turkeys.

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
If they park near another rig, you would have to consider they knew someone else was there. Just plain rude, no debate about it.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »

How do you know they knew you were after those particular birds. I understand being frustrated but I dont think they did anything wrong.  :twocents: If you had keyed there car then that would be complete  :crap:  Now, if they KNEW you were after those birds then yes, it is very rude.

Dont get me wrong I understand your frustration but public land is public land. Thats the breaks. happens to all of us.

Also if those birds were roosting that close to the parking area (you saw the headlights) how in the world is it that you think your the only ones who knew about those birds.

Better luck next time.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »

How do you know they knew you were after those particular birds. I understand being frustrated but I dont think they did anything wrong.  :twocents: If you had keyed there car then that would be complete  :crap:  Now, if they KNEW you were after those birds then yes, it is very rude.

Dont get me wrong I understand your frustration but public land is public land. Thats the breaks. happens to all of us.

Also if those birds were roosting that close to the parking area (you saw the headlights) how in the world is it that you think your the only ones who knew about those birds.

Better luck next time.

Could not have said it better my self.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline KLRKeith

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »
I guess you missed the "I was venting"..Never had nor never will key someones rig; I just wanted to..
Yes they new I was there I stopped them with my flashlight and a whistle.  They saw me wave and pressed on to the sweet sound of gobbling.  I was tickled I called in two toms for those bozo's...lol..
Later.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
DONT YOU HATE WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT ? I wish I knew how many times I had turkeys blowed out of the trees while I was calling to them but now I never call until they hit the ground !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal