collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inconsiderate hunters  (Read 10412 times)

Offline bucklucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
Re: Inconsiderate hunters
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »
I wonder how many times an idiot like me has screwed somebody elses set up by not knowing what I was doing  :o

Offline piledup

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »
Ahhh....the pleasantries of public land hunting 8) ;)

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 08:19:05 PM »
I wonder how many times an idiot like me has screwed somebody elses set up by not knowing what I was doing  :o

I think I heard a gobbler over in this here area somewheres, maybee I can get close enough to see him. Kind of souded like he was up in this here tree .  :chuckle:

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
Had one shot out from under me this year after I waved the guys on when they came in to see what I had gobbling at me. Only thing that made up for it is 20 minutes later I called in a bigger one and got him. That's hunting public land.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 07:43:04 AM »
I guess you missed the "I was venting"..Never had nor never will key someones rig; I just wanted to..
Yes they new I was there I stopped them with my flashlight and a whistle.  They saw me wave and pressed on to the sweet sound of gobbling.  I was tickled I called in two toms for those bozo's...lol..
Later.

Thats a bummer. One time I had two coming in so hot I couldn't believe it. they were 40 or so yards in front of me just behind a little rise. these birds were so juiced up i still cant believe it. They were right there just a few more feet then some guy behind me starting doing the worst calling I have ever heard and off they went.  :bash: I dont claim to be good but this guy was BAAAAAD!!. I was so pissed i could hardly stand it but thats unfortunately public land hunting. I've been screwed up a few times but I bet i've chased a few birds that someone else was after before as well.

BTW I wasn't claiming you would key a rig, just saying "if you had".

Bottom line.......................I hate turkeys!!!

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 07:49:20 AM »
I understand your frustration, but that goes along with hunting public land. Is it really rude or unethical to hunt a public spot when somebody is already there?

It's bad sportsmanship to set up where someone else is already. Sometimes you do it unwittingly and people get their feelings hurt. A good sportsman will realize his mistake and pull out at that point. But, you're never going to get rid of all the jerks. Take a deep breath and move down the road.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline one more

• one more
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Author, as DZ Wirth, of e-book: MOUNTAIN IGLOO,
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
Sometimes you can't help parking next to someone else when it's the only place to park and the trail or blocked road leads into hundreds or thousands of acres of huntable land. 

I've turned around and hunted another road when I've seen a hunter sitting next to the road.  It does feel bad when you've roosted the birds he's waiting for or your birds are farther down that same road.

A little flash light is a good way to show another hunter where you are.  Just don't point it up into the trees.
Diane
NWTF, WSTA, NRA, RMEF, NAHC, WF.
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
I understand your frustration, but that goes along with hunting public land. Is it really rude or unethical to hunt a public spot when somebody is already there?

How do you know they knew you were after those particular birds. I understand being frustrated but I dont think they did anything wrong.  :twocents: If you had keyed there car then that would be complete  :crap:  Now, if they KNEW you were after those birds then yes, it is very rude.

Dont get me wrong I understand your frustration but public land is public land. Thats the breaks. happens to all of us.

Also if those birds were roosting that close to the parking area (you saw the headlights) how in the world is it that you think your the only ones who knew about those birds.

Better luck next time.

Could not have said it better my self.

Duh, you were there first.....
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 05:52:19 AM »
  I was tickled I called in two toms for those bozo's...lol..

Tickled or ticked?

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
When I was stationed in San Diego.  Hiked in about a mile or so before first light through the chaperral and poison oak.  Got set up and after first light heard a gobble.  I'd call and he'd respond, and he's getting closer.  I was starting to get excited, I might get my first turkey!  I'd been coaxing him in when I hear the brush start making noises.  I'm thinking deer, nope, another hunter.  He freezes when he notices my hen decoy.  He then spots me and ask "Do you hear that gobbler?"  I so wanted to respond "Nope, I'm here waiting for the bus".  Told him yeah...he says good luck and off he goes in the direction of the gobbler.  Right after that the gobbler shuts up.  Never did see him, hear a shot or the other "hunter" again. 

Me personally I would have backed out and looked for a new spot.  Never did get a turkey out of that area and I'm still trying for my first.  Lately been working harder on getting my son his first.  Got a few scoped out hopefully this year will be the year.
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline Seatown5

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
Everyone on here is right.  Public land sucks.  Ive gotten bumped, probably done some bumpin and heard people bumpin bumpers.  What i hate more than anything is one parking spot for thousands of acres.  Theres nothing worse.  My favorite spot is almost 1000 acres but if someone is parked there i feel lame going in.  Usually you can hear gobbles coming from nine different directions in the morning.  The worry is where IS that other hunter and which of those birds might he be on.  Or if there is only a couple in there and does he even hear them or did he walk way past them.  I never do walk in because of those worries, but it sure doesnt stop other people. Oh well, absolutely nothing we can do but vent on a hunting forum
If it looks fishy, fish it. If it doesn't look fishy, fish it anyway!

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

Yes....without question.  Go find another spot or get up earlier.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »

Yes....without question.  Go find another spot or get up earlier.

Agreed completely.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Kuduman

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 10:05:27 AM »
KLRKeith:
 Been there and that's why I rarely hunt public lands. It's almost a sure bet that when you find birds that someone else has found them to.  this past week I was on some Private property and the birds that had been using that field were landing close to the property line. 30 seconds after the tom hit the ground....BOOM another hunter was on the property line and killed a nice tom that I had hoped my youth hunter would bag.  :dunno:
Not their fault.. they had as much right to that bird as I and quite frankly if my youth hunter would have bagged that gobbler I would never had mentioned it.

solution.... don't expect other hunters to treat you with the respect that you treat them. if you want totally undisturbed hunting than private property is the only option.

sorry this happened but it's all to common these days.

Kuduman

Offline klickriverchromer

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
Holly crap! I'm still waiting for Dr.Phil's responce on here about getting screwed and what we should do about it? :chuckle: SORRY I couldn't resist anymore! Whats this crap I read about you shouldn't use a gobble call? Doesn't anyone else thinks it's fun to mess w/people... If your going to mess up my hunt I'm gonna f-with u hard.. I guess it may be true that people may mistake u for a turkey cause they look just like people sometimes.  Some people will screw even the dumbest of flower pots, that's why there's blooming idiot's everywhere!!
Work sucks!!!! I should be shed hunting

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU