collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inconsiderate hunters  (Read 10416 times)

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Inconsiderate hunters
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle:

That's part of the joy of hunting public land.  Makes it more rewarding to harvest a turkey in public places where the hunters are abundant.  I used to get upset when somebody else messed up a hunt for me.  Now days, I plan around other hunters and try and get the bird even when they are in the area, but definately not if they're there first and I know that.  Unfortunately too many other hunters out there these days could care less about etiquette.  Thanks to those who do. :)

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
I understand your frustration, but that goes along with hunting public land. Is it really rude or unethical to hunt a public spot when somebody is already there?

Yes....without question.  Go find another spot or get up earlier.

Agreed completely.

So what your saying is one person per piece of public land? :dunno: What if there is thousands of acres? Like I stated earlier I rarely hunt public land, but am intrigued by some of your responses.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »
What I'm thinking they are saying relates to turkey more than other animals.  For example, if you see a rig parked along the side of the road and hear a turkey gobbling a few hundred yards away, that the guy with the parked truck is probably hunting that bird.  So basically, go find another bird instead of f*#%ng up that guys hunt.  That's what I'd do anyway. :twocents:

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »
It's like any kind of hunting or fishing.  Use common sense and be thoughtful....you know treat others the way you would like others to treat you in a like situation.  Pretty simple to figure that out unless you're a complete idiot.

Common sense should tell you to not put yourself on top of someone....like in a duck blind, turkey area, fishing hole, whatever situation it may be.  Of course it depends on the area and the situation.  However if you pull into a parking spot and there is a vehicle there and you hear roosting birds gobbling, it should be apparent to all except those without brain cells, that the probability is fairly high, that said vehicle's occupants are set up on those birds.  How damn difficult is that?

Those same people who impose on you are also the one's that can't read....like in trespass.  That also puts the screws to all of us on a less personal, not the day of, sort of way.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
I understand your frustration, but that goes along with hunting public land. Is it really rude or unethical to hunt a public spot when somebody is already there?

Yes....without question.  Go find another spot or get up earlier.

Agreed completely.

So what your saying is one person per piece of public land? :dunno: What if there is thousands of acres? Like I stated earlier I rarely hunt public land, but am intrigued by some of your responses.

That's not what anyone's saying - one hunter per piece of land. What many of us ARE saying is when you see someone is hunting, it sucks when you get out and decide to set up right where he is, especially if you're talking about a parcel with thousands of acres and other places you could go. For example, the rule of thumb during goose season is set up at least 450 yards away from another spread, for safety and consideration. If you have a spread set up and someone else comes along and sets up 100 yards away, knowing full well you're there and have been before they got there, they're just being jerks, public land or not.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »
What a crock    :bash: :bash: :bash:

It seams that most people postng here are "Holyier then Thou".

Many times I have parked and hunted an area and come out to find one or more rigs parked at the same place as I. Some times I see other hunters, some times I don't.
Have I parked next to a person that was hunting the same area as I? yes. There is plenty of room for more then one person to hunt. If I go into a planned area and there is another person in there before me, I keep going as planned. I do not know if they have the same idea as I or not. If he does, I move on. Many times you will find that they did not even go in the same dirrection as me. If I see another person huntin the area, I will stop and talk with them to make sure we have different plans give each other plenty of room. May be we can help each outher out in a way, who know.
If I am set up and someone walks in to an area I am hunting, I will make sure they know I am there. Most times they turn around or move on, just as I would.

To many people think that if they area there first, the whole area belongs to them  :bdid:

Flame On  :stirthepot:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Justin7mm

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »
Well guys....I have been reading this post and i can't help but say a few things. First of all, there are some hunters that are so driven to succeed in the field that they don't care who or what stands in their way. I have had members of my own hunting party totally ruin an otherwise perfect hunt for lack of basic consideration. That being said,  I believe that a good deal of the time most blown hunts are not intentional.  I have had countless blown hunts over they years, and 20 to 30 percent of them were me ruining someone Else's hunt. When its you on the receiving end, its hard to conceive that this A$$hole didn't see you and that you were set up.  Yet, the times I've ruined someone elses hunt (be it turkey, deer, waterfowl or whatever), I had no idea they were working birds, or even in the area, but I've taken a few a$$ chewin's all the same and felt terrible even after apologizing.  I've also had some hunts ruined by others (or vice versa) when i was on private property...sometimes by others who have permissions as sundance said, and sometimes not.  What it all boils down to is don't get all bent out of shape because most guys are not going to intentionally try to ruin all your hard work, and the ones who don't care aren't worth the trouble because they aren't bound to change.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
I don't think most people feel like if they are first in an area that it's theirs.  Again it what you are hunting and location to mention a few variables. 

As an example, I do feel if you get up at 3 a.m., motor across the Potholes Reservoir to a location, put out decoys, then kill a hour or so before you hear the others start launching in the distance, only to have someone eventually appear and set up within bird shot distance of you is plain stupid and ignorant. 

It's about common sense and expectations....not holier than thou.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Every year i get inconsiderate hunters in the late archery season. I will be standing there watching a buck or bucks and some one will walk up next to me and go right for them. Not even consider i am going after them. Also been stalking up on a herd of deer and someone sneaks up behind me and wants in on it.. I used to get pissed and want to punch people. Get used to it. Still it pisses me off. :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
I always love it when my dog is working a patch of brush and another hunter notices my dog getting super birdy comes over and positions himself in hopes of getting the shot at the rooster before me.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
I don't think most people feel like if they are first in an area that it's theirs.  Again it what you are hunting and location to mention a few variables. 

As an example, I do feel if you get up at 3 a.m., motor across the Potholes Reservoir to a location, put out decoys, then kill a hour or so before you hear the others start launching in the distance, only to have someone eventually appear and set up within bird shot distance of you is plain stupid and ignorant. 

:yeah:

I had a guy and his kid come in behind me and my kid this year while trying to set up on a gobbler that was on the opposite side of me than this guy.  Ended up blowing the bird out.  He knew I was there, saw and heard me there, and yet kept on coming and calling.  That is the problem, not someone that happens to walk past my treestand fifteen minutes before the deer I have patterned are predicted to come by because he had no idea I was there.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 07:58:30 AM »

Exactly.  I didn't understand the holier than thou comment.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:06:11 AM by MtnMuley »

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 08:26:55 AM »
As others have said we have all had a hunt busted by someone, and likely have busted someone else's hunt and not even known it. It has happened to me both ways. It sucks at the time and we are upset but their is always another day. I actually don't mind to much anymore because it means I get to get away from the house one more day.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
yeah I have actually went back to a spot in the afternoon, after it cooled down and gotten a bird ...like last year we worked a bird for two days and he would never come in close enough and we went back to that same bird on the last day and it took a couple quick cuts and a couple yelps and he was on us fast and my son ended his day quickly ....at least I believe it was the same bird ... 90% sure anyway !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal