collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Area 3911?  (Read 6035 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Elk Area 3911?
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »
Anyone familiar with Elk Area 3911? I got my AHE certification and would like to hunt the area around Ellensburg.  Can anyone help me get on the right track? 

Offline provider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Elk Area 3911?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 09:00:06 PM »
meetings for unit 3911

AHE HUNTERS PLANNING TO HUNT IN UNIT 3911 ARE INVITED TO ATTEND ONE OF THE ELLENSBURG MEETING BELOW. BRING A CURRENT UNIT 3911 MAP (SOME MAPS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT THE MEETING ). ATTENDANCE IS NOT MANDATORY.
WEDNESDAY JUNE 20 6:30-9:00 PM
HAL HOLMES CENTER. 3RD AND RUBY STREETS ELLENSBURG .
SATURDAY. JUNE 23 6:30 9:00 PM
BLACK HALL. ROOM 151. CENTRAL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY . ELLENSBURG
FRIDAY AUGUST 17 6:30-9:00 PM
DAYS INN AND E&J RESORT 901 BERRY ROAD OFF CANYON ROAD . ELLENSBURG
"A greater appreciation for the outdoors and the hunting experience."

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:07:20 AM »
I got a postcard about that last week...nothing like giving a guy too much notice!  I might be able to make the august meeting, but five days head's up is not enough to drop everything and drive four hours.   Are you going to the meeting? 

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:19:21 AM »
A buddy of mine got a cow out of that unit last year.  I bought a west side tag so I am not sure if I could hunt that unit.  I also did the AHE thing.  My buddy told me that there is a lot of private land and he had some trouble getting access to where the elk were.  I think it was because it was so dry the land owners didnt want anyone out there.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 05:37:18 PM »
I have taken 3 elk from the unit in 3 years, average hunt time is less then 1 day.....that part sounds easy, now I have a good 30 days into talking to landowners, the huntmaster, officers. I got the door slammed in my face more times than I care to admit, but the guys I hooked up with over there are 100 grade A nice people. I was offered to use his tractor to recover my cow, he offer to help skin it, and never asked for a dime. I noticed a particular brand of whiskey in his cabinet and I ran him a 1/2gal and a thankyou card. the next year when i asked, I was told NO!! I reminded him about the previous year and he oppologized and explained that there had been a bunch of tresspassing and lack of respect/ethics. I was allowed to hunt. I have heard many tales like his and it sux for us. it is really tough to get access if you are a westsider. kittitas seems to think all trouble comes from the coast, so if you are asked where you are from, give a place other then "by seattle" and remember these are mostly ranchers and farmers so dress accordingly. a hummer and a fancy outfit might get you ran off even before your pitch.

I have had a hoot over there and made so good contacts, but I am not sure I will be back too soon after hearing some of the dumbers people pulled last year. the wind project took a huge bite out of the only piece of public land in the unit, so it is nearly 100% private. enjoy it while it lasts.

ps it is far from a hunt. You see a group of 60 elk in a field, drive to the owners and ask for permission. you go back pick out the big one and shoot......just a meat hunt.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
Thank you high country-
I think i'll fit right in with the ranchers and farmers,  I certianly won't be driving a hummer!  I understand the frustration of the landowners, we live in North Douglas county along the Columbia and have mobs of people during deer season.   Then trash and beer cans along the roads after season.  There are plenty of slob hunters and although the vast majority of hunter are really good people, the slobs are the ones that leave lasting impressions.
I've never harvested an elk and LOVE to bowhunt for them.  The meat hunt is what i'm after...i need to fill a freezer.   I'll plan on knocking on doors in August and taking to the ranchers about access, and their herd, and weeds and the weather.... ;)  They have the right to block access, it's our job to be respectful and take care of their property while we use it.
Any other tips about the area? when to hunt, elevation? 

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:30:55 PM »
as for when, well, when ever you can! be aware that aug-sept are very hot so call the meat locker or have a plan to cool your meat. as for elevation, the area that is open is all on the valley floor and might rise 1k feet in a few areas. pretty much just go over and bang on some doors and have your gun/bow with you. I would not jump out and say you are bowhunting unless the converation shows a concern for bullets around houses. a few of the landowners I know think less than highly of bow hunters. as a bow hunter I know where you come from, but after hearing some of their stories, I hear them too. as for other tips....knock on some doors!

Offline fremont

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
I have taken 3 elk from the unit in 3 years, average hunt time is less then 1 day.....that part sounds easy, now I have a good 30 days into talking to landowners, the huntmaster, officers. I got the door slammed in my face more times than I care to admit, but the guys I hooked up with over there are 100 grade A nice people. I was offered to use his tractor to recover my cow, he offer to help skin it, and never asked for a dime. I noticed a particular brand of whiskey in his cabinet and I ran him a 1/2gal and a thankyou card. the next year when i asked, I was told NO!! I reminded him about the previous year and he oppologized and explained that there had been a bunch of tresspassing and lack of respect/ethics. I was allowed to hunt. I have heard many tales like his and it sux for us. it is really tough to get access if you are a westsider. kittitas seems to think all trouble comes from the coast, so if you are asked where you are from, give a place other then "by seattle" and remember these are mostly ranchers and farmers so dress accordingly. a hummer and a fancy outfit might get you ran off even before your pitch.

I have had a hoot over there and made so good contacts, but I am not sure I will be back too soon after hearing some of the dumbers people pulled last year. the wind project took a huge bite out of the only piece of public land in the unit, so it is nearly 100% private. enjoy it while it lasts.

ps it is far from a hunt. You see a group of 60 elk in a field, drive to the owners and ask for permission. you go back pick out the big one and shoot......just a meat hunt.
Thank you for posting.  I sure hate to hear stories about idiot hunters.  It's tough enough already!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]