collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: pasayten wilderness  (Read 19047 times)

Offline WA hunter14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
pasayten wilderness
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
I normally hunt around oroville but this year im thinking on going in to the famous pasayten, any and all advice greatly appreciated! im not going in on horses, is there alot of bear? im not asking for your traditional spot but maybe if you have been in there alot and can point me in the right direction?

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
Re: pasayten wilderness
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
any help on where to go would be awesome, what trail to go up?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »
I don't know anything about the Pasayten as I've never been in there but I do know giving away info regardting that wilderness area especially on here is a touchy subject.
 Most people are not willing to share after working hard to figure it out for themselves, especially not with a guy who's 1st post is asking where to go in the Pasayten(no offense, that's just the way it is). You might want to utilize the search function and see what there is that's already on here. Also you might want to make a post in our "Introductions" thread and tell us a little about yourself...maybe share a hunting story or something. That might get you a little somewhere too.
Welcome to the site.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
you have a good point, i juss thought that some acomplished hunters wouldnt mind helping a 14 year old hunter find a good spot to hunt.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
you have a good point, i juss thought that some acomplished hunters wouldnt mind helping a 14 year old hunter find a good spot to hunt.

That would be a perfectly great reason to post something in the introductions thread.
Then we'd know you're 14. I still don't know if you'll get any info on the Pasayten...but it couldn't hurt.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »
14 and going to try a Pasayten hunt?  Hope there is at least somebody with a drivers permit to get you close, or else it's one long walk to get there.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
yea my friend will go with me and my dad will drop us off, i know it must seem odd but i spend alot of time in the woods and do just fine no matter the conditions.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
i hope i can earn atleast some respect from someone to give me some information, but if not i know ill do just fine.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
At 14, you have a WHOLE lot to learn.  You seem pretty confident which can be a good thing, but over confidence at your age can also lead to trouble.  I'd recommend going with an experienced person in the woods, but that's just me.  Stay safe, and good luck.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »
yea thanks we will, and i was just thinking the same thing, i did come across cocky, i am confident in my abilitys but i understand i have alot to learn, but what better way to learn than to go out an experience it for yourself, right?

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
True.  You can gain a ton of knowledge listening and learning from experienced hunters and outdoorsmen/women.  There's a few things that a guy has to learn on his own, but there are lots of other things that an experienced woodsman can teach a guy that are priceless. 

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
yea, but i know zero of those kind of guys. willing to share anything anyway

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »
Use the search function on here.

You'll find some good information I'm sure.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
ok thankyou

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
yea my friend will go with me and my dad will drop us off, i know it must seem odd but i spend alot of time in the woods and do just fine no matter the conditions.

The weather and such can make the Pasayten, Alpine Lakes or any other alpine place one hell hole in a hurry.  You're 14 and full of currage. Even with smarts you can get into trouble in the wink of an eye. Although.. I do encourage you to take in any of the forest survice trail hikes in the Pasayten during good weather months before you attempt to hunt there when things can go wrong in an instant.  First, as a younster, list out what you have for equipment to get you throug. Loaded for four nights, you're looking for a full pack of your essentials that's less than 45% of your body weight. Prep for water purification or lack of water. Prep for cold or warm temps. Food to say.. +3,000 calories a day. (you're gonna burn a lot of energy on those steep trails) A good light weight camp stove. You'll need a quality backpack to hold all your gear. You're going to need maps/compass and know how to use them. Orientering skills. Don't forget the weight of your hunting equipment.

I know, I got a little off topic...

You ask about bears. Yes there are bears in any of the alpine areas. You need to set camp as 'bear resistant' as possible. (hang your food at least 75yds from camp -All of your food and dirty pots/pans!) Bear spray!  If you're looking to harvest a bear, there are other areas that I would haunt long before I ventured into the wilderness areas just for bear.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
what would those areas be, ive never gotten a bear before and id love to.

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 04:54:28 PM »
??? So your 14 years old, Live in Orting Wa, Hunt the Oreville area, You'll be dropped off in the Pasayten Wilderness area with most likely another young hunter, and you are a very intelligent writer?? I have many reservations on your abilities and your age. It seems to be very fishy to me.

I have a son that is 12 years old, I WOULD NEVER DROP MY SON OFF AND HAVE HIM HUNT BY HIMSELF OR EVEN WITH A FREIND ( I would have to go with and shoot the deer first ),I  would never drive from Orting to the Okonagan area, My son writes very well and can tell the difference between a 14 year and a young adult and is in school at the same time you became a member. Call me crazy, but I think and I hope you are not just someone trying to get information from others with out prooven who you are and what you are all about. :twocents:

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »
i cant believe you dont believe im 14, thats insane, just because ur 12 year old cant handle the woods doesnt mean i cant, why dont you go find something better to do than putting down a 14 year old, im tired of adults not believing what i can do, ill prove it to you guys just wait till after the season ill post some pictures or something

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »
and by the way its oroville not oreville

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 06:06:16 PM »
post pics now of past trips.....
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
i dont know how to? i dont have any pictures on my computer yet

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
 :fishin:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline dentalboy

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
Hiking, backpacking, scouting in the summer will help you learn where the animals are.  You'll learn a lot, build-up some strength and have some fun seeing new areas.  Take your camera!

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »
Hey.. I don't care if others feel this guy is 14 or not. This can still be an informative thread for all. Fishin for a Bear spot isn't a crime! For some experience closer to home, go east of Carbonado, up river, (stay out of the park). There's Bears in those hills. There's Bears all around Mount Rainier. Duh. Get out there now during good weather and find them. They're hungry! Grasses and Swamp cabbage. They'll be pealing bark on trees. Cascara. They'll be ripping stumps apart for grubs and termites. Look for sign. Glass the clearcuts. Get near the snow line and cut some tracks. You can't hunt them right now.. (without a spring permit) but you can use the time from now to August to learn where they are, where they're moving to, (where the food is), where the food will be, so you can be successful in the fall.

-Steve

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline rawhide

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »
Walking slow and Glassing off the trail is a really good start.  Once you get in there ,  sit down and watch the ridges.  You don't have to go far off the trail.  and with a little LUCK.  maybe someone will push deer right to you.  There will be hunter above and below you.  So be carefull.  Wear lots of orange

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »
Its a weird deal asking someone where to go because I dont know anyone who has ever told the truth about "where to go" especially me lol
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 09:09:45 AM »
i hope i can earn atleast some respect from someone to give me some information, but if not i know ill do just fine.

Wa hunter14,
Sorry for everyone that slammed ya on this thread. I also see that it's not your first post as someone stated.
I hunt just outside of the Pasayten's east boundary. Love the country. My partner and I spent many years hiking and glassing to learn the country and were lucky enough to stumble on a couple good areas. My advice would be to look at maps and Google Earth for the terrain features that hold deer(or should), then get out there and walk. Time in the woods, first hand experience is hard to beat. Good luck to you.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »

Wa hunter14,
Sorry for everyone that slammed ya on this thread. I also see that it's not your first post as someone stated.
His 1st post on this site was the post that started this thread.

Offline rawhide

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »
any help on where to go would be awesome, what trail to go up?
Directions: There are two ways to get to Hart’s Pass. From eastern Washington, go west on Hwy 153 from Pateros, and follow the Methow River to Winthrop Washington. In Winthrop, continue west on Hwy 20 to the Mazama Junction. Turn off Hwy 20 here and proceed to Mazama. Continue northwest past Mazama and go up Forest Service Road 5400 to Hart’s Pass. The 35 mile journey from Winthop will take nearly an hour as it is a slow-going gravel road from just past Mazama to the pass.
AT the top is the trail head.  Start walking

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »
Don't apologize for me! I just call it as I see it.
I do welcome the young hunter and all young hunters to the great outdoors. I as a Father, will always look out for my children which I have 3 young boys. There was no mention about his dad getting out of the truck and making the hike with him just another young hunter ( a friend ). I would never leave my boys out in the wilderness alone having the struggles of bring back down from the high mountains with a Deer or a Bear. These kids will never make it out of there with a bear, unless they just want the hide or the claws, since they are not physically strong enough to man handle a bear? Prove me wrong!
Maybe if he wanted to prove himself he would not start out with “where to go”, if he did his research he would have read some of the other post on this  site and dug for information that way first, and then maybe the introduction board.
Welcome aboard Young Hunter! Good luck in your endeavors.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
Maybe if he wanted to prove himself he would not start out with “where to go”, if he did his research he would have read some of the other post on this  site and dug for information that way first, and then maybe the introduction board.

Hell, I've got teenagers.. They don't research. They ask.  Cut the kid a break. Crimony, I'm just happy he's not typing in cell phone short text!

As for anyone not giving directions. (stay away from Harts Pass damn it! ;) )  Anyone would be a fool to give out a honey hole, but we can be vague yet just descriptive enough to put a person in the right quadrant of the state for given game. The rest of the work is up to them. Hell, I could give gps coordinates to the near middle of the big lava bed where I know there's big bucks but I won't. Most often I'll say don't go there because it's a broken leg waiting to happen or that your compass will spin, there's no water, nowhere to set camp, yada yada yada.. But there are big bucks in there.

I could be a bit more vague yet spot on if I just say Victory Creek Drainage north of White Salmon for bruins.  (it's a long creek)

-Steve

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »
Here you go. I did the search for you.
1Deer Hunting / Re: Pasayten Wilderness Mule deer Hunting information
« by halflife65 on May 06, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »
......  gave him bad coordinates and he is still in the Pasayten.      ......
2Deer Hunting / Pasayten backcountry hunt
« by Blackfoot on April 21, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
...... 'm thinking about backpacking in to the Pasayten this fall to hunt, and was wondering about access  ......
3Deer Hunting / Re: pasayten wilderness
« by sakoshooter on Today at 09:09:45 AM »
......  as someone stated. I hunt just outside of the Pasayten's east boundary. Love the country. My partner and  ......
4Deer Hunting / Pasayten horses found and back home!!!
« by deerhuntr4885 on September 16, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »
5Deer Hunting / Pasayten
« by wonderboy on February 01, 2011, 04:34:06 PM »
......  with knowledge of Spanish camp area in the Pasayten. Good or Bad Thinking about taking a little  ......
6Deer Hunting / Pasayten Unit
« by cohoslayer on December 13, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
......  get any bucks out of the high buck hunt in the pasayten unit cause i was thinking of hunting there next  ......
7Deer Hunting / Re: Pasayten Sept. high hunt
« by heavy08 on June 27, 2007, 02:20:47 PM »
......  was my thinking that they migrate down out of the Pasayten...etc.  ......
8Elk Hunting / Re: Pasayten Elk
« by boneaddict on April 23, 2008, 06:59:51 AM »
......  they were quite established. This was not in the Pasayten however.  ......
9Deer Hunting / 2005 Pasayten Buck
« by bobcat on April 01, 2007, 05:01:07 PM »
......  brother and I did a drop camp in the Pasayten Wilderness in September of 2005, and this is the  ......
10General Discussion - Hunting/Family/Friends/Outdoors / Pasayten-Chewuch Country
« by Idabooner on August 30, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
11Deer Hunting / Pasayten High Buck Hunt
« by GUHunter on February 25, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »
......  am just looking for input in hunting the Pasayten for the High Buck hunt. The reason I ask is that  ......
12Elk Hunting / Pasayten Airstrip - Elk
« by dylanthered on July 21, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
......  read that there aren't much for elk herds in the Pasayten GMU. Has anybody seen anything up near the  ......
13Deer Hunting / Re: High Buck Hunt...which one?
« by MichaelJ on February 23, 2008, 06:36:04 PM »
...... 't so honest, he would send everyone north to the Pasayten where the deer struggled in their winter range.  ............  snow fall.  Everyone, enjoy a camping trip in the Pasayten and let us have the rest of the High Hunt country. ......
14Elk Hunting / Re: Back country elk hunting
« by Skyvalhunter on June 05, 2008, 05:24:30 AM »
......  I wish you luck in the pasayten for deer this year. ......
15Deer Hunting / Re: No Hunter Orange!
« by X-Force on April 21, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »
......  trip. They were in wa. I believe they said pasayten.  ......
16General Discussion - Hunting/Family/Friends/Outdoors / Re: Lets see some horses!
« by steen on May 18, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
......  my mare and her daughter on the highline in the Pasayten.   Here we are on Apex Pass giving  ......
17Elk Hunting / Re: Coolest hunting area in Washington
« by steen on April 13, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »
......  above treeline, the Pasayten, Skiline Divide and my honey holes. I have never  ......
18Muzzleloader Hunting / Re: Black Powder Success Stories - Let's Hear 'Em!
« by Smokepole on May 01, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »
......  could hunt the high hunt on the way over, maybe Pasayten, then trek off for some lower elevation hunt  ......
19Photography / Re: Vintage Pics
« by boneaddict on April 22, 2007, 12:42:17 PM »
......  an INCREDIBLE view of surrounding country and Pasayten. The pacific Crest trailhead might be there, but  ......
20General Discussion - Hunting/Family/Friends/Outdoors / Re: Wolves in the Methow?!?!?
« by Idabooner on June 26, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »
......  winter in a trappers cabin on what is now the Pasayten Wilderness boundary. Dad would be gone on the  ......
21Other Big Game / Re: MOOSE
« by boneaddict on March 09, 2007, 08:05:06 PM »
......  now as that is all barbecued. the same with the Pasayten which had some up Andrews Creek, another barbecue. ......
22Deer Hunting / Re: BIG Buck Down
« by Chopaka81 on April 15, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »
......  modern season.  A lot of things go on in the pasayten when poachers think they are the only ones in the  ......
23General Discussion - Hunting/Family/Friends/Outdoors / Re: snow level?
« by boneaddict on May 24, 2007, 12:29:53 PM »
...... 'm not sure where you are heading into the pasayten, but be weary of how that eastern side looks  ......
24Deer Hunting / Re: Which Areas' have the most outfitters during the high hunt?
« by George on September 04, 2007, 06:08:02 AM »
...... . There are at least four outfitters working the Pasayten high hunt. That area probably has the most horse  ......
25Photography / Re: Pics.
« by Branden on April 06, 2007, 10:41:58 PM »
......  all the gear bowpredator. I have wondered why the Pasayten does not have any archery season?   For the story. ......
26Deer Hunting / Re: who's doing the high hunt this year?
« by Ray on September 06, 2007, 02:51:30 PM »
......  Seasons Sept. 15-25   Alpine Lakes, Glacier Peak,Pasayten, and Olympic Peninsula Wilderness Areas; Lake  ......
27Deer Hunting / Re: Back country packing
« by JBR on April 30, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »
......  journal.   On last year's high buck hunt in the Pasayten Wilderness, I spent down time sitting by my  ......
28Deer Hunting / Re: Scouting Trip
« by Branden on August 12, 2007, 10:25:39 PM »
......  to hunt the high hunt I started scouting in the Pasayten. So my best friend, my cousin and I headed into  ............ . After that hike I have never been back to the Pasayten.  ......
29Photography / Re: There's proof
« by mossback91 on January 02, 2008, 10:23:39 AM »
......  there was a few in the pasayten last year but now I dunno. I think more than any  ......
30Deer Hunting / Re: Your thought on counting points on deer, All together or one side,eye guards etc
« by popeshawnpaul on February 20, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »
...... .   I seriously think a guy would pack into the Pasayten alone 8 miles and camp in snow and primitive  ......
Pages: [1] 2

Jump to: => Please select a destination