collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I killed my first coyote calling  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Otto1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
I killed my first coyote calling
« on: June 23, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »
and what a complete rush it was. I have killed many coyotes but never actually with a call in my mouth.

I have recently purchased two different call from this forum, both sound awesome and make some incredible sounds from my inexperienced lungs. I was able to bring an animal in on one of Bearmanric's calls this week but screwed it up by not being ready and I think called to aggresive after it appreared along with a few other things.

Well tonight I went to an area not far from the above place and tried the Krusty call just incase that same animal was in the area he would hear something different.

Make a long story short, I started calling at 1945 and by 2000 I spotted mr coyote coming in the way I thought and wanted him to. As soon as I spotted him (approx. 125 yards out) I spit that call out of my mouth and did that little kissy thing. It worked! he started on a trot my way, I then reached down a started reeling in my little stuffed animal that I had put out in front of me about 30 yards out. Just a couple of wiggles on that thing and he was coming hard, let him get about 25 yards and stood up and gave him a big hello  :chuckle: He spun and hauled ass the other way, so another one of my hello shots went his way and then the third one made him do a couple of good cartwheels and I had my first dog! WhooHoo!

I paced it out and he was 48 yards on the kill shot. I was a little rusty with the shooting and all I can say is they can really turn the afterburners on quick! alot faster that any of those fast ducks I am use to shooting..

Here are a few photos. I had to hike all the way back to the truck (quite aways) Thought about bringing the camara but I am superstious sometimes and if I pack the camara I think it will jinx me. I didnt mind the extra walking!

I am hooked on this calling thing!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: I killed my first coyote calling
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 05:35:58 AM »
Congrats.....Isn't it intersting how addictive it can be. I mean c'mon it's only a coyote!..  :chuckle:

Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 07:07:40 AM »
Nice work!  It's a fun way to extend the season.  and it sounds like you've got it figured out! 
You're not going to put that call back in your mouth after laying it on the yote- are you?   :o 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:49:37 AM »
Nothin like putting another fawn eater down.  Congrats, and also there couldn't be any better advertisement for these guys calls.  Is this the Krusty call that you won on auction on here from this site?  Congrats on the hunter and the call maker!

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 09:49:09 AM »
I mean c'mon it's only a coyote!..  :chuckle:

ya know thats exactly what I was thinking as it was coming in, but I could feel my heart pounding, my mouth was all dry, had to sneak a chew in to get some moisture in there to do that kissy noise.

You're not going to put that call back in your mouth after laying it on the yote- are you?   :o 

I was a little hesitant to do that but gave it the alcohol rub back at the truck, then when I got home had the wife check me for ticks.

Is this the Krusty call that you won on auction on here from this site?  Congrats on the hunter and the call maker!

yes it is, bearmanrics call worked real well a few days earlier also. Krusty told me in PM that when I see that dog coming in just give it those kiss sounds from your mouth, I also remembered that from a dvd I watched, but completely forgot about it last week..

I cant wait untill some more of the fields up here get hayed in a few weeks especially with these long daylight hours... This one was shot in a grain field and it was easy to see where my shots were hitting. I just wanted to speed him up a little so I could dump him hard on the 3rd shot. I gotta remeber I can take my plug out on this kinda hunting.

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »
Otto,

Congratulations, all of them, are yours. 8)

He's a cute lil' dude, what are you going to do with him?
What load did you hit him with?
Nice pick-up shot! They are going really really fast when they "get flat" and go, aren't they?

Did he quarter away, or 180° and go back where he come from?

Wow, alcohol... :o  I never ran that test on the finish, how'd it come out?

When we get together for a hunt, I'll teach you to lipsqueek a different way, so it sounds like a baby rabbit. It's a perfect intermediate volume call.
It's my belief too much emphasis is placed on high call volume, in predator calling.

I think just like in other forms of calling, wailing as hard as you can, is rarely productive...
But when, how much, and how loud, are topics of extendend debate, and personal opinion.

Boneaddict,

I might as well make a confession here, Otto has now called and killed more predators than I have.

The sound you make is a tiny part of what leads to a sucessful calling stand, so many other more important factors can blow it for you, before you ever make a peep.

Good hunting skills, proper set-up, a good plan, not totally losing his head, and access to land that isn't tainted by other callers, among other things, all lead up to puting the fur on the ground.

Any call would have likely produced the same results.

Other than offering advice on how to handle a stand, reminding him of what he'd already learned, I didn't have much actual effect on the outcome of Otto's hunt.

My hat's off to him. :)

Krusty
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 06:40:07 PM »
Any call would have likely produced the same results.

You're too modest.   ;)

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 08:53:06 PM »
He's a cute lil' dude, what are you going to do with him?

fertilizer

What load did you hit him with?

I had buckshot 00 and #3 heavyshot in the gun, I believe that I put in two rounds of heavy shot first and then the buckshot last.

Nice pick-up shot! They are going really really fast when they "get flat" and go, aren't they?

faster than an scoter with a 30mph tailwind....

Did he quarter away, or 180° and go back where he come from?

he quartered away left to right and gave me the opportunity, I could easily see my shots missing in the recently planted grain field so it was simple to compensate my lead on him once he got up to speed, it just took two shots to figure. It was a lot like a duck blind hunt, work them in close and get them to commit and then jump up from the bland and say hello. I did almost get busted by him, on my little stuffed animal I had tied to my reel it was set on the "clicky" sound but was able to switch it off with out to much movement.

Wow, alcohol...   I never ran that test on the finish, how'd it come out?

ahh it was just a swirl of Jack Daniels spat on it, just kidding. I always keep that alcohol hand sanitizer handy and I just rubbed it through my hands on the call, finish is perfect still but I am pissed about the little dent that came from something, It just adds a little character now. I wont go into details about the wife tick inspection ;)

On the calling I kinda mixed it up a bit and kept it anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 volume. I kinda hybrided the mallard feed chuckle you mentioned and its now called the feed chuckle vibrator technique but I guess it worked.

I got a couple of other local spots I am gonna hit on the way home from work this week that just got hayed a few weeks ago. I might have a line on a bunch of new land 1500 plus acres of rolling hay fields with timber mixed in along with a few wetlands to boot that has not been hunted legally in years so it could produce me a bunch more opportunities to learn. I wanna see them coming from a long ways out and watch what they do and how they react to different calling and such...

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 11:48:09 PM »
Awsome otto1. Krusty make's a great call. it's funny i made a call like Krusty doe's sorta. i made a squeaker out of a cow tip. pretty cool just playing around. awsome now your hooked. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 06:04:31 AM »
tick inspection

You've been listening to country music again haven't you?

Its funny, about ticks, I have a story about my ex- brother-in law.  He busted a coyote about this time of year.  He threw it into his car, then cut off the tail and tied to his hat and was being a goof.  Well....the coyote had fleas, and as the coyote cooled, they jumped ship.      heheheheheheheeeeee

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 01:00:20 PM »
Boneaddict,

I wasn't being modest, I believe that is the flat out truth.

The call you use, and the sounds you can make with it, possess no magical powers.

It was a wise decision not to use the call he had already "educated" a coyote with, in that area, so soon after his encounter with it.
But other than that, there's no reason why it (or any other call) wouldn't have worked just as well.

Otto,

I thought since he was your first called coyote, you might have "trophy" plans for him.

If you'd have "texas heart shot" him, with your last load, things might have turned out differently.
A lot of the time they've made an "end around run" and they try to angle back where they started from.

Take that plug out, and fill 'er up!

Rick,

I've never made a whole call out of cow horn (or any other kind), I did make a very few antler calls though.
(*I did use the horn you gave me, to make an extension on one of my favorite calls, to use it as a howler)

It sounds to me like you made a call like Tim R., or Brad Holzer does. ;)

I say it all the time, I am not the only one who does what I do, in making calls.
Lots of other call makers carve their calls with a dremel tool, just nobody else (I know of) does it in wood.
Some of them, are way way better at "true carvings", classic carved forms, animals, flames etc, than I am at "shaping" a call by essentially sanding into the form I want.

Krusty
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »
yes look's like a TR closed reed was playing with the Dremel as far as i know you are the only person doing the wood that is cool. love my horn's going to start turn tomorrow. big time. build my call's up for ebay. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »
Good job man!!! 
Wait until you call in 6 of those boogers running full bore at you and you can't decide which one to hit first!  That is one hell of a rush!

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 07:42:55 AM »
Yes Bone, alittle too much country music for me, the last two years I have had a tractor that is enclosed with AC and a radio so I listen alot, dont get me wrong we got some damn good rock stations up here and ol' Ozzies new alblum gets blasted real loud...

Good job man!!! 
Wait until you call in 6 of those boogers running full bore at you and you can't decide which one to hit first!  That is one hell of a rush!

I cant wait for something like that... I have been out a few times since without seeing any, but it is fun just getting camoed up and walking around with a firearm..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]