collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: #11 Mag - Musket Cap 2f or 3f in Knight Big Horn  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
#11 Mag - Musket Cap 2f or 3f in Knight Big Horn
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
I was asked this question over on Modern Muzzleloder, so I thought I would bring my answer over here also...

But remember it is just my opion...

Jaman_24"]Hey sabotloader are you shooting #11 magnums or musket caps? Any reason you use FFFG rather than FFG T7?

Yes, i am shooting #11 Mag caps - they fit tighter and are more water replellent than Musket Caps.. Most believe that Musket Caps are hotter than #11's which is generally correct of #11's. But Mag caps are the same temp as Musket caps.

I prefer the 3f as it ignites easier especially in cold weather....

Also I would suggest... there is a flaw with the Big Horn Percussion Breech plug.

Look at this picture...  I shoot a Knight MK-85 also and the breech plug is made to be more fuctional, especially in cold weather.

The MK plug is on the right... Note the size of the powder channel going down to where the nipple would be.  With this channel the powder will drop right down on the nose of the nipple - especially T7-3f.  The channel is .2280" (basically a 1/4") in diameter.  The plug on the left is a Big Horn plug and note the size of its channel... basically 1/8" or .125.  Most often no powder will make it to the nose of the nipple.  Problem the cap now must provide flame the entire length of the empty channel + heat the dead air in the channel and in Idaho winter temps... that could be a problem - mag cap or musket cap...

I really did not like the BH plug design... so I altered mine to be like the MK which shoots all the time...

Big Horn plug with 'Opened Powder Port'  this makes a huge difference in ignition - especially in cold weather.

I have also sent these same thoughts to Knight.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:21:32 PM by Sabotloader »
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal