collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: worried about eastern wa. weather  (Read 2082 times)

Offline poulsbo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
worried about eastern wa. weather
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »
I hope it has not been too wet around Dusty area, anyone been around there lately? hopefully the pheasant hatch is ok.

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: worried about eastern wa. weather
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »
Haven't been that direction in about 2 weeks.

It rained pretty hard in the Pomeroy area last night.  The streams and rivers are up.  It stopped raining about 2 hrs ago.

Around here I don't think the hens are sitting yet.  Been seeing them running around with the roosters still.  Hopefully after this storm things will warm up and we get a good hatch.
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
Hopefully with the weather we have had they will hold off a bit and all will be good. We could really use a couple good hatches to get the bird populations back up to at least poor :(. The best thing to happen now is for spring to arrive and STAY, even if it ran into July. Just good weather and good bug hatches and things will be much better. Better habitat is probably a dream in today's way of doing things :bash:.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
Yup, if it gets warm and dry from here out, this past week was a million dollar rain - no hatches yet, and lots of bugs and cover for chicks to max survival.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:56 AM »
I saw my first pheasant chicks of the year yesterday.  Seemed to have 8-9 of em.  Glad they made it through that rain storm......I tried to get pics but they headed for the cover only leaving mom and one chick.  I waited for the others to come back out but they went back in and I got nothing.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline shorthair-on-point

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »
I haven't spotted any chicks around me yet. I doubt it will be a good season in the Basin this year. With the price of wheat there isn't as much corn around this year. With the wet spring it is looking like a down year so far. 

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
My parents have a ranch on the river at Dusty.  There is still a bumper crop carry-over from last year - if we have any hatch at all, the bird hunting will be really good this year.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
anyone else seen any chicks yet :dunno:? Looking for a great hatch of all gamebirds...hoping for the best anyway ;).

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
Seen lots of roosters and hens but no chicks yet.  Been watching the quail too.  They're paired up and running around still.  It's funny watching the single guys chasing around trying to get a hen and get the smack down put on them.
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline Justin7mm

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
On memorial day I saw some quail with chicks...one bunch of 10 or so and a pair with just one chick that i could see.  I also saw a couple pheasant chicks run across the road. All the chicks i saw looked to be less than two weeks old.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]