collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bike trailers  (Read 38305 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: Bike trailers
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »
I havent, but it looks like other members have with some success.  I am going to ride into Packwood Lake within the next couple of weeks, so I figured I would test the game cart out there with all my gear.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline cld40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • cheeseburgerproductions
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »
hey PA BEN,
are those solid tires on that trailer?
i was wondering about the advantage/disadvantage of a solid tire vs a tire with air?
do you have a more detailed pic of the way you attached it to the bike?
another thing i was looking at is the mounting point, which is better the seat post or the rear hub?
the lower center of gravity of the rear hub makes more sense to me, which would be difficult at best with one of the game carts given their shape, but their would be an advantage of it retrieving the game being it could be used for its intended purpose, as well as hook it up to the bike too.
anyone with experience on this feel free to chime in.
the cart i posted looks good, but it is also 30+ pounds.
the game carts are lighter i believe.
again anyone with input on this would be appreciated...

Offline cld40

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
i am in the market as well, the game cart was something i was thinking of as well, looks like it worked well, this is one i have been looking at on ebay. anyone seen or had any experience with it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aosom-Bicycle-Bike-Cargo-Trailer-Red-Black-PickUp-Only-/250822771030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6633c156#ht_500wt_1136

We usethat trailer for our deer camp. All in all it does pretty well, especilymformthe price. Doesn't quite hold the loads that the website claims but we just reinforced the bar that connects it to the trailer.  We packed out 8 deer quarters and two heads last year with it. I will try to dig up some pics later.

thanks for chiming in, some pics would be great, if you can get one of the reinforcing points as well.  the trailer looked good to me, i questioned its weight though, at 30+ pounds seemed a little heavier than i would want...

Offline sebek556

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
you guys are making me think of going out to the barn grabbing the couple of moutain bikes I have and start fabbing up something....

Offline cld40

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
I'm thinking the same thing, i cant imagine a couple of wheels from a bike shop would be very expensive.
the hawkeye built trailers look good, but at 450$ they don't look that innovative.
although if they do indeed have disc brakes that would be awesome.
their website is not working!

Offline jechicdr

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »
This is an Ameristep game cart http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/9800_cart.html. I took the old goose neck off of a kids one wheel bike that attaches to the seat post and a ball joint. Halled my moose out 1 mile behind a gate in two trips. 482 lbs of meat + the head and cape. My elk last year was two trips, walked two bags of meat out on two bikes to get the cart and the rest on the cart.

Just need to come up with a bar that can attach to most game carts that attaches to bike seat and pivots.  That kids bike bar looks good.  Someone should sell those separately.

This looks promising:  http://trailgator.com/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:17:24 AM by jechicdr@yahoo.com »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
I think you will find that buying NEW Mt bike tires with disk brakes make up a majority of the cost in one of these setups. Tradional brakes that rub against the side of the rim will fade due to heat and then pop the tire. If you can find a used cheep/free bike it would have all the gear you would likely  need for materials, provided it had disk brakes. Price them out they arn't all that cheep.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Pretty cool looking ideas

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »
hey PA BEN,
i was wondering about the advantage/disadvantage of a solid tire vs a tire with air?
another thing i was looking at is the mounting point, which is better the seat post or the rear hub?
the lower center of gravity of the rear hub makes more sense to me, which would be difficult at best with one of the game carts given their shape, but their would be an advantage of it retrieving the game being it could be used for its intended purpose, as well as hook it up to the bike too.

most game carts I'm seeing are around 40#'s, which seems a little heavy. The big advantage I see of a game cart over a traditional flatbed trailer is the load capacities on the GC's are much greater at around 350#'s vs around 100#'s for a flatbed trailer. The disadvantages would be the weight at around 40#'s vs an average of 30#'s, the solid tires would make for a rough ride and the high center of gravity attaching to the seat post. The flatbed trailer I'm looking at from Burley attached to the rear axle. I think either way I go I will be making some modifications.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »
That's just GREAT! I just sold my kids trailer/jogging stroller or pull cart on craigslist for $80.  :bash: :bash:

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
I own one of those 3 wheeled bikes w/ basket, thinking about modifying a game cart to pull behind it.
I figure between that and my 3 goats, should be able to pack out almost anything (next year when the goats are big enough)....
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline TONTO

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
I think you will find that buying NEW Mt bike tires with disk brakes make up a majority of the cost in one of these setups. Tradional brakes that rub against the side of the rim will fade due to heat and then pop the tire. If you can find a used cheep/free bike it would have all the gear you would likely  need for materials, provided it had disk brakes. Price them out they arn't all that cheep.  :twocents:

I have a couple wheels I got from work, they are off the front of a workman trike. 24" and pretty heavy duty, they both have drum brakes. Was thinking this would make a good trailer set up, and I could hook it up with a parking brake.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
hey PA BEN,

most game carts I'm seeing are around 40#'s, which seems a little heavy. The big advantage I see of a game cart over a traditional flatbed trailer is the load capacities on the GC's are much greater at around 350#'s vs around 100#'s for a flatbed trailer. The disadvantages would be the weight at around 40#'s vs an average of 30#'s, the solid tires would make for a rough ride and the high center of gravity attaching to the seat post. The flatbed trailer I'm looking at from Burley attached to the rear axle. I think either way I go I will be making some modifications.

Great point!
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline windygorge

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
built a trailer last year for elk hunting.  needs some fine tuning but worked great. don't be afraid to make one for yourself.  i couldn't find one that could haul alot of weight, so i built one i thought would.  this is it.

http://youtu.be/QEyNF4k7yjQ

http://youtu.be/jIuUXj0heZQ
"God gave you the gift of life, you owe it to God to give your best performance"

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon"

Offline cld40

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
windygorge,,,

very nice trailer, what do you think it weighs?
looks very strong....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull