collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: West Klickitat  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
Re: West Klickitat
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
I live here, I know where the big ones are.  Late hunt for deer? Bring your snow shoes or hit the canyon.  As for the Kreps land, well its all in who you know  :) 
Matthew 6:33

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
My boy drew the youth permit. Antlerless during the general season. Hope we can find him a doe for his first deer.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »
General season doe tag is a give-me. Push a few clear cuts with 5 to 10 foot reprod and your sure to push one out. About any of the cuts along the upper end of Fisher hill, BZ Glenwood, Snowden ect... would work. Just do it at first light before the buck hunters clammer through. Might be best to wait and let the opening weekend crowd leave and then go hunt.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
Never hunted the Kreps land except by accident, but I will say the alfalfa they have neer the houses on the BZ Glenwood have a few dandy bucks in them at first light from time to time. A herd of elk here and there also.

Maybe they dont have the best, but they have some darn good stuff that isnt crowded. The SDS Bear river(??) compound is some nice looking stuff also when looking in from the outside.

Anyone with a handle of "logger" and location of "trout lake" could likely make use of that tag. LOL! Just guessing.

Offline packmule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
First off, congratulations on drawing your permits.  I live in the West Klickitat unit and the posts so far are spot on.  The unit boundaries have changed a few times in recent years so keep that in mind as you get information.  The unit used to produce some outstanding "Cascade Blacktails" so the genetics are here, but overall deer numbers are down significantly.  The previous advice about not being able to pick through a lot of bucks while looking for the buck of your dreams is true.  If you run across a 4 point, or really nice 3 point you should think long and hard about taking him, because it could take a fair amount of time and effort to find another one.  Good luck!

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »
The cougars have taken a toll as well. Chris, that is definitley a gimme unit for does. Good luck to you guys!

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
I live here, I know where the big ones are.  Late hunt for deer? Bring your snow shoes or hit the canyon.  As for the Kreps land, well its all in who you know  :) 
  By december king mt. will be tit deep to a tall sqauw :bdid:
go ahead on er.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
watch the boundrys i followed other people first couple day's was hunting the rez. didnt get my elk needed more snow. lot's of cougar track's and i followed a big bear last day of season tried cow talking him in .  never seen a deer but after a fresh snow next day there were plenty of track's above Glenwood in a bunch of newer clear cut's. good luck had a great time. this year i won a Quality elk tag for the Toutle. Rick ;)
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline elkchaser

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
It's a great unit if you know the area. I also drew the tag. Have my eyes on a couple of nice bucks already. Helps that I live in the unit

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
Dad and I drew for late muzzle in this unit this year.  I drew by myself last year and got a nice little three point. 

I've hunted this unit since I started hunting and I've seen quite a few nice bucks in both the new 578, and the old (now 574).  BUT, I've seen a lot of empty miles between those nice bucks too. 
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
First off, congratulations on drawing your permits.  I live in the West Klickitat unit and the posts so far are spot on.  The unit boundaries have changed a few times in recent years so keep that in mind as you get information.  The unit used to produce some outstanding "Cascade Blacktails" so the genetics are here, but overall deer numbers are down significantly.  The previous advice about not being able to pick through a lot of bucks while looking for the buck of your dreams is true.  If you run across a 4 point, or really nice 3 point you should think long and hard about taking him, because it could take a fair amount of time and effort to find another one.  Good luck!

Pack Mule is spot on.  I spend 12 month out of the year all around Glenwood, snowshoeing, back county skiing, hiking fishing and hunting.  If you see a 4 point, I would not think twice about taking it.  If its the late hunt you are after, look me up after the modern season and I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Matthew 6:33

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »
I will be up there for most of the general season looking for a doe for my boy. I will give you a report when we are done. I have a few places staked out all ready.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal