collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alpine Wilderness Elk  (Read 22427 times)

Offline UBA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Alpine Wilderness Elk
« on: June 06, 2008, 06:20:05 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has hunted or seen elk in the Alpine. I curious about an early archery hunt that you could hunt both Deer and Elk and experience the back country. With all the knowledge here i figured someone would give some great advice.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Alpine Wilderness Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
Haven't seen any elk in there but I heard one bugle once when I was deer hunting in September.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »
Well, the Alpine Lake Wilderness is in two different units.  On the Westside of the mountains it is in the 460 unit which is a huge unit.  On the east side of the mountains it is in the 249 unit, which is still big, but a bit smaller.  The 2006 hunting reports show that there were 9 bulls killed by 62 hunters (14.5% success) in the archery season in 460.  Considering 460 includes the area around North Bend and such, there is a pretty high probability that the elk were shot in places other than the wilderness.  Also, the hunting is 3 point and better in 460.  On the east side of the mountains in 249, it is any elk.  There were 34 hunters in 2006, 3 bulls killed for an 8.8% success rate.  Again, no way to know for sure if they were killed in the wilderness area or not, but it is not necessarily a probability by any means.  So yeah, overall, if you're gonna hunt it, probably best to hunt on the east side of the mountains where it is any elk.  But not a ton of success in the unit overall. 

BTW, here are the stats:

460 - SNOQUALMIE -- 9 0 9 62 14.5%
 249 - ALPINE -- 3 0 3 34 8.8%

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »
On the east side of the mountains in 249, it is any elk.  There were 34 hunters in 2006, 3 bulls killed for an 8.8% success rate.  Again, no way to know for sure if they were killed in the wilderness area or not, but it is not necessarily a probability by any means. 

If the harvest report says elk were killed in the Alpine GMU, then they WERE killed in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, because that Alpine unit IS the wilderness. In other words you have to be inside the wilderness boundary or you are NOT in the Alpine GMU. Just thought I would clarify that.

Offline bam

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »
Put a lot of miles in 249 last season.  3 weekend scouting trips, 1st week of season, then some day hunts.  There are area's up there that hold elk.  Some of those area's are very steep and brushy.  The Alpine is a very popular hiking area, so you won't be alone on the trails.  I was pretty pumped about the sign and habitat I found on the scouting trips, however hiking in on opening weeking we were met by several pack trains from outfitters, and other horseback hunters.  Come to find out many of the small pockets of elk habitat were not a secret and over-hunted and called out opening weekend.  Sounded like an off-key trumpet rehearsal.  We did find a few elk, heard some real bugles, and enjoyed some awesome scenery.  You can find elk in there, just don't expect to have the area to yourself, even if you hump in 6-8 miles.  Our feelings were the elk were pushed lower out of the unit into the draw unit (peaches)

Offline UBA

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I was just looking at the numbers awhile ago for the east side.  Since I live on this side of the mountains and dont think i will be able to afford gas by fall. :bash: It seems like the best option. It seems like a real tough hunt thou. But hey why not go ahead and try :). Looking back at all the wilderness pics and Huge elk sheds  it got me excited to plan a awesome backpacking trip. Cant wait until the snow melts some more so i can get up there and look around.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
On the east side of the mountains in 249, it is any elk.  There were 34 hunters in 2006, 3 bulls killed for an 8.8% success rate.  Again, no way to know for sure if they were killed in the wilderness area or not, but it is not necessarily a probability by any means.

If the harvest report says elk were killed in the Alpine GMU, then they WERE killed in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, because that Alpine unit IS the wilderness. In other words you have to be inside the wilderness boundary or you are NOT in the Alpine GMU. Just thought I would clarify that.

OK, thanks for clarifying that, couldn't tell from the maps...

So hey, at least 3 were shot there in '06, not that great if you ask me.

Offline bam

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »
It will be intesting to see what the 2007 stats show.  I know for a fact that in the area's above salmon la sac there were at least 24 archery hunters last season. (3 outfitter camps, 2 DIY horse camps and a couple other poor saps like us trying to compete with all that 4 legged eqine activity.  That does not include the teannaway, and icicle areas where 2 other outfits opperate.  The area's that have elk holding power were just not large enough for that much pressure.  Hiking out in the dark we could hear bulls bugling  2-3 miles below the wilderness boundary.  Last year was my first season full season as a washington resident.   Is 249 an exception since it is the one of the only open eastern units, or is all washington wilderness areas popular with horsemen/outfitters? (westside - william o, goat rocks, mt. adams, and indian heaven.)

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »
It will be intesting to see what the 2007 stats show.  I know for a fact that in the area's above salmon la sac there were at least 24 archery hunters last season. (3 outfitter camps, 2 DIY horse camps and a couple other poor saps like us trying to compete with all that 4 legged eqine activity.  That does not include the teannaway, and icicle areas where 2 other outfits opperate.                         bam, if you went where i went in 2006 (and i thimk you did) , What a zoo , we also ran into elk but the one outfitter kept bringin in more people . I have to think there were more like 40-50 people up there in 06 .

Offline bam

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
yeah, rougheye sounds the same.  not my idea of a wilderness experience!  loved the country, just to crowded for my taste

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
Well with only 34 hunters in 249 in '06, people must really have the elk areas nailed down in order to get that crowded in that large of a unit.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
Probably because 99% of the unit has no elk.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 10:10:22 AM »
There is a band of elk just north of Stevens pass.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline bam

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 10:28:30 AM »
There is a band of elk just north of Stevens pass.
  If they get the same amount of pressure, it will need to be renamed stampede pass :rolleyes:

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »
 :chuckle:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]