collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 117 moose tag  (Read 15764 times)

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: 117 moose tag
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
Finally after only 7 years?????????  My neighbor has put in now for 18 years and still nothing.  You are a lucky man with only 7
  Not knocking you dude but it cracks me up when folks say finally got drawn with 7 points.. $hit, i have 16 for moose and so does everyone else i know... The moose gods havent blessed my crew yet.. Thats why were lucky to live close to canada.. Your a lucky dude moose hunting is the coolest hunt you will ever go on so enjoy and get a crew to help unless your grizzly adams..
Their going down!!!

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
The moose are thick up there. You won't have any problem finding them. I see big moose almost everytime I scout for deer in that unit. Start by purchasing all of the topos for that unit, key in on areas that look like good moose habitat and follow up on google earth. You spend a few hours doing this and it will save you a lot of time when your boots hit the ground and you will likely find many areas of interest. I do this exact thing for anything I hunt if I have never been to the area and it has never steered me wrong. I don't think I have ever received advice from anyone on where to go.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline jechicdr

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »
The moose are thick up there. You won't have any problem finding them. I see big moose almost everytime I scout for deer in that unit. Start by purchasing all of the topos for that unit, key in on areas that look like good moose habitat and follow up on google earth. You spend a few hours doing this and it will save you a lot of time when your boots hit the ground and you will likely find many areas of interest. I do this exact thing for anything I hunt if I have never been to the area and it has never steered me wrong. I don't think I have ever received advice from anyone on where to go.

What does moose habitat look like?

Elk like grass for food, but are big animals so like the cool north facing slopes.  Steep, but not too steep. 

I have moose that come into my yard near Spokane, so I will look for manicured yards and well traveled walking trails and artificial fountain for them to drink out of.  And when I hunt, have my 2 and 4 year old girls beside me singing...cause that's what attracts moose...so they say.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
clearcuts=moose

Offline manfromspam

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »
Well just came back from camping all weekend up in gmu 117. We loaded the 5th wheel up and atvs and headed up for the weekend to see if we could find some moose to look at mabey take some pictures. but no luck at all didnt see one moose  :'( we seen lots of old crap i mean lots but no new crap . But i did see a nice black bear and a hand full of deer witch was nice to see .Im not sure where the moose are right now im thinking they are still in the low land and haven came up higher yet where we were seeing all the old crap every five feet in the road.. Maybe next weekend  i will see some moose and have some pictures to share .  :dunno:
300 win mag

Cocked, Locked And Ready To Rock

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
Moose dont go down for winter :twocents:
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »
I saw two Moose in 117 this weekend. Both bulls and both neck deep in water.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline b.roberts

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »
Don't worry, you'll find them.  The unit is crawling with moose.  Talk to the locals, the few I have met are really helpful.  If you haven't found them by sept. I'll ask my brother where he has been seeing them, besides his backyard. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Offline manfromspam

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 10:09:56 AM »
Thanks guys . I have been kinda waiting for sept. to get here. then I'm going to do alot of scouting and try some calling.  :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: plus by then bear will be open too. :tup:
300 win mag

Cocked, Locked And Ready To Rock

Offline argali

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
I drew That tag in 2002. I took 40" bull on boyer mtn. I look for clearcuts or logged areas  a few yrs old. Moose seemed to be more active in the mornings and evenings. Watch the wind, moose seemed to  careless that were  only yards away ,unless they picked up your scent. Good luck!  argali

Offline Hyde

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
Moose are laying in the creek bottoms now, staying cool.  Things will look WAY different on opening day.  Don't get discouraged! 
Nothing witty here.... move along.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
yeah... theres alot of moose in this unit. all the moose I have seen lately are in wet draws..big timber...much cooler in there. Catch them out feed in the first hour of light tho

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
The rut will be on when you are out. Don't worry. :tup:

Offline cle elum bowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
Last year for the October opener it was really hot.  85+ degrees at 5000'.  We found moose low and in the creek drainages.  Hunted hard around Bunchgrass and saw nothing much fresh.  Dropped down lower on the Idaho side of the unit in the drainages and found moose.  Still have over 150 pounds in the freezer I would say.  MMMMM.  My bad, wrong unit but same idea, cool and wet!
IAFF Local 2898
Hoyt Turbohawk

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »
I was out hunting elk in early october last year.. I remember an extremly wet hunts..rain

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]