collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+  (Read 619775 times)

Offline CedarPants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Report Washington Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated at 116+
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2011, 06:43:12 AM »
Ok the one time was enough but now i have had 3 encounters in a month!! 11-15-11 stopped at the first tracks along the road after the first snow and saw big wolf tracks walking down the road,  was taking pics with my phone and thought i heard something so i shut off the truck and yep, heard a lone wolf howling it howled 8-10 times but was going the other way, this sounded exactly the same as the wolf that i recorded with my phone(10-17-11) it was 4 miles away from the first encounter, i am pretty sure this was the same one just by the howls. the next day(11-16-11) was coming out of the woods with a friend we both stopped to go to the bathroom. He came flying up around the corner and pointing to the woods telling me to turn off my truck, I did just in time to hear just a faint couple of howls,he let out a howl that didnt sound to good and then it was silent, was late so didnt get to hang out to try to hear it anymore.  this last one i cant say it was 100% forsure but we both thought so, the first to (10-17 and 11-15) were both no doubt about it, wolves. This is starting to worry me!!!! :bash: :bash: Three in a month!! These last to were on the spokane indian reservation, the first one was real close to there. I have not figured out posting pics on here so i will get it to my email if anyone can get the pic on here.

The last one (11-16) was not the same wolf as the one i heard befor, (10-17 & 11-15) may have been the same but (11-16) was diffrent sounding howl.

Posting this photo for TommyH.  This was taken on the Spokane Reservation

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »
Say 3 on I 90 on the way to the Entiat friday.Just a few miles before Easton.Not a yoty

Offline Buckrub

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »
Watched a pair in the Soap lake area on 11/25.... Howling wolves spooked some deer we were putting the joe cougar on 5 miles from sighting.... two groups.

Swamp buck Hunter

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
Watched a pair in the Soap lake area on 11/25.... Howling wolves spooked some deer we were putting the joe cougar on 5 miles from sighting.... two groups.

:yike:  how sure are you?
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »

:yike:  how sure are you?

:yeah:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »
Republic area. That's a 22-250 in the track. It measured about 5 x 4 1/2 inches.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Chadrick60

• Hunter
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
Up In packwood (GMU516) with the kids doing some Chrismas tree hunting and ran across a bunch of what appeared to be wolf tracks. way to big for coyote. Had no idea they were even in the area.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
Republic area. That's a 22-250 in the track. It measured about 5 x 4 1/2 inches.

So they logged off almost the entire mountain that I liked to hunt in Republic and now the wolves are moving in. Great!  :bash:
 :o
IAFF #3728

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
Mica peak....bye bye Mr moose

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2011, 05:53:59 PM »
Heard wolves two nights in a row in the blues, off the panjab trail

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
I reported wolves in the alpine lakes to WDFW back in '97....Lota good that did.

Offline mulehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »
Found under WDFW.  cant believe how Biologlist wrote    " NOT THREATING "

SPECIES Wolf

DESCRIPTION OF INCIDENT TEANAWAY PACK – INCIDENT REPORT NON-THREATENING CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH TEANAWAY PACK THE RP CALLED A WDFW BIOLOGIST TO REPORT AN INTERACTION THAT OCCURRED ON HIS PROPERTY. THE RP REPORTED THAT A HUNTER ON HIS PROPERTY WAS HUNTING ELK ON THE FARM WITH HIS 9 YEAR OLD SON. ON SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 26TH, 2011, THE HUNTER WAS USING AN AGENCY ISSUED LANDOWNER DAMAGE PERMIT TO HUNT FOR ANTLERLESS ELK. THE RP REPORTED, THE HUNTER WAS REPORTED TO HAVE ENCOUNTERED THE WOLF IN A VERY OPEN AREA, LESS THAN ONE MILE FROM THE RP'S HOUSE. A SINGLE WOLF WAS REPORTED TO HAVE RUN TOWARDS HIM AND HIS SON, STOPPING TO WITHIN 20 YARDS. THE ANIMAL REPORTEDLY STOOD THERE, LOOKING AT HUNTER AND HIS SON FOR 3 MINUTES. THE HUNTER FELT SAFE SINCE, HE HAD A RIFLE IN ONE HAND, AND TOOK PICTURES OF THE ANIMAL WITH HIS I-PHONE. THE WOLF LEFT, RUNNING UP THE HILL. A FEW MINUTES LATER, A GROUP OF 4 WOLVES CAME DOWN THE HILL, AND APPROACHED THE HUNTER AND HIS SON, AT A DISTANCE FURTHER THAN 20 YARDS. THE 4 ANIMALS LOOKED AT HIM THEN, RAN UP THE RIDGE THEN BARKED AND HOWLED AT HIM FROM OUT OF SIGHT. THE HUNTER COULD NOT SAY IF THE FIRST ANIMAL HE SAW WAS PART OF THIS GROUP. APPARENTLY, NONE OF THE ANIMALS SEEN UP TO THIS POINT HAD RADIO-COLLARS. THE RP SAID THE HUNTER DID NOT FEEL THAT THE ANIMALS WERE BEING AGGRESSIVE. THE NINE-YEAR OLD SON WAS REPORTEDLY GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR AFTER THE EVENT.

REPORT INFORMATION Date/Time of Incident: November 26, 2011 Date of Report: November 26, 2011 Location: 6000 BLOCK OF TEANAWAY RD City: Cle Elum County: Kittitas Game Management Unit: 335

Offline Snapshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2011, 08:17:29 AM »
A pack of five adult-sized wolves were observed for several minutes by my hunting partner at about 11:30AM on Sunday, December 11 on the Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge. Traveling East-Northeast they crossed the large open field that is on the south side of the river due south of the site of the old school house (southwest of the intersection of Bear Creek Rd. and Narcisse Creek Rd.). They disappeared into the trees along the river just 1500 feet or so from the refuge headquarters. Some were gray, some were brown.
I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking away rather than giving back to a principled way of life that has to be experienced to be understood. G.StCharles

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:14 PM »
Snapshot,
Could you confirm that your hunting partner was certain without any doubt they were wolves and not coyotes or pack of dogs? Not saying they were, just want to check on that. We have seen tracks ourselves in this GMU.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Snapshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »
No question in his mind. He has been an outdoorsman for nearly thirty years. He knows coyotes (which he says he's never seen traveling in a pack during the daylight) and he knows dogs. He could hardly believe what he'd seen until I told him that I'd heard about a pack being confirmed in 'Pend Oreille' (sometime) earlier...

I trust his conclusion and I am sick that he and I had split up not five minutes before he saw the pack. He radioed me and told me what he was seeing and to hightail it back up the hill, but it was too late by the time I climbed back up to the ridge top. We waited and watched for them to re-emerge further up or down the river for a quarter of an hour, me with camera in hand, but they stayed in the trees. He said he had watched them through his binoculars for several minutes while they made their way across the opening which was about 500' wide. He said that when he saw the first two emerge his first thought was that they were deer because of their size but quickly realized that wasn't the case. He said they were nearly as big as he is. He said the lead animal kept looking back to check on the progress of its counterparts the whole way, and waited at the far edge of the clearing until the last animal had caught up before disappearing into the deciduous trees along the river.

We've friends who own property within a mile or two of that spot and when they were told what he'd seen they said others who live in the area have reported having seen wolves in the vicinity, too.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:33:59 PM by Snapshot »
I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking away rather than giving back to a principled way of life that has to be experienced to be understood. G.StCharles

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal