collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+  (Read 619828 times)

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated WA Wolf Count 156+
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
BP maybe you should introduce your "Trapper" to the Colville as a way of getting his Fed certifcation  as a Gov trapper done...  :twocents: Make it so hard for the WDFW to not hire a guy like this.

They are requiring 2 years college on their wolf trapper application.

Are you sure that the applicant cannot substitute experience for education?  I know with a lot of government positions they require an absurd (IMO) amount of college for any particular job, but experience can also substitute for education as long as it is relevant to the duties being performed.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2012, 12:07:46 AM »
Bearpaw, are you or anyone else reporting these wolves to the WDFW?   It seems as though they would at least want to go out with your trapper friend and verify some of these locations.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »
99% sure I saw one near Loomis two years ago. I have pictures of the tracks.

Please post the pics if you can find them, include rough location, GMU, and date.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:11 AM »
Bearpaw, are you or anyone else reporting these wolves to the WDFW?   It seems as though they would at least want to go out with your trapper friend and verify some of these locations.

I have been told WDFW is constructing a new sightings page and wants to include our sightings.

It sounds like WDFW is more concerned about requiring the college time for this job than actual trapping experience or local knowledge.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2012, 04:02:34 AM »
I will be headed over to republic next week.  I will try and take some pics of tracks and kills with identifyable background if we can find them again.

Offline Idabooner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:53 AM »
What is the justification for a 2 yr degree? What would you need one for? Why would you need an AA let alone a Bio degree fro trapping and slapping a collar on?  :bash: Sounds to me like they were trying to limit their pool.  :twocents:
So that the applicant has the necessary greenie-wolf hugger brainwashing from predator lovers? :dunno:

My thoughts exactly, it's plain their not about finding wolves.

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:54 AM »
I think you guys are slightly confused on the WDFW positions. The actual person doing the trapping, collaring, reporting, and updating of the sighting maps has to have a 4 year degree in Wildlife management or equivalent degree, and two years of experience as a entry level bio. A masters degree or PhD may substitute for only 1 year of experience, which means they want someone with actual field experience. In your cover letter you have to express how you meet the qualifications of the job including your trapping skills. I wanted to apply but do not have the necessary experience trapping. These are minimum qualifications for this and most all biologist 2 positions. I think if they are looking for someone to just trap and slap on a collar the would contract the work.

The position that is requiring 2 year or AA degree is the technician position, they go out to try to verify  internal/external sightings by looking for any sign of wolves, and place remote cameras for pictures. The technicians work closely with the biologist 2 position mentioned above, and may be involved in some trapping. This job you also have to have a cover letter explaining how you meet all of the qualifications. I WILL be applying for this position!!

The way I see it is they are thinking more long term. The WDFW sees how controversial this is and they want thourough numbers to delist the wolves quickly. This may very well be a move to limit the amount of herd damage that has been done in the other states. I know Montana is just now hiring their first wolf bio, and I am not sure how many people have been hired in similar positions in Idaho.  :twocents:

Brandon

Offline christopheri

• Longhunter
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »
I think you guys are slightly confused on the WDFW positions. The actual person doing the trapping, collaring, reporting, and updating of the sighting maps has to have a 4 year degree in Wildlife management or equivalent degree, and two years of experience as a entry level bio. A masters degree or PhD may substitute for only 1 year of experience, which means they want someone with actual field experience. In your cover letter you have to express how you meet the qualifications of the job including your trapping skills. I wanted to apply but do not have the necessary experience trapping. These are minimum qualifications for this and most all biologist 2 positions. I think if they are looking for someone to just trap and slap on a collar the would contract the work.

The position that is requiring 2 year or AA degree is the technician position, they go out to try to verify  internal/external sightings by looking for any sign of wolves, and place remote cameras for pictures. The technicians work closely with the biologist 2 position mentioned above, and may be involved in some trapping. This job you also have to have a cover letter explaining how you meet all of the qualifications. I WILL be applying for this position!!

The way I see it is they are thinking more long term. The WDFW sees how controversial this is and they want thourough numbers to delist the wolves quickly. This may very well be a move to limit the amount of herd damage that has been done in the other states. I know Montana is just now hiring their first wolf bio, and I am not sure how many people have been hired in similar positions in Idaho.  :twocents:

Brandon

If local trappers and hunters have pics of wolves and the state needs some one to prove that they are in an area why dont they allow a bounty on a trapped wolf. Allow the locals to trap and tag or collar them.  Then pay them for every wolf they trap. It would save hundreds of thousands of dollars and they could still study the wolfs movments. For someone with no local knowlage of an area to go out and try to find and pattern a wolf pac could take years. :bdid:

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »
If local trappers and hunters have pics of wolves and the state needs some one to prove that they are in an area why don't they allow a bounty on a trapped wolf. Allow the locals to trap and tag or collar them.  Then pay them for every wolf they trap. It would save hundreds of thousands of dollars and they could still study the wolfs movements. For someone with no local knowledge of an area to go out and try to find and pattern a wolf pack could take years. :bdid:

I am not sure, I would think that it has to do with they want someone who is trained to take DNA samples, hair samples, accurate aging, sexing and all the other details (if there is more) to build the database on wolves. I am sure that many locals would be capable of this as well, but in order to do it they would probably have to be trained, so now we are back to spending lots of money to train all the people who want to trap wolves. Not to mention they still have to pay someone to maintain the wolf site, and enter all of the data. There are a lot of responsibilities to get this accomplished and honestly I don't think most trappers would want to spend the time doing all the work for pennies (most likely what the state would pay), when they could make better money trapping things that could be sold.  :twocents:

Brandon

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »

Brandon

After seeing the job description myself, I think you are exactly correct...  :tup:

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
Here's what I find especially humorous. My youngest daughter will soon be done with college, with a masters in biology and two other degrees in psychology and I think teaching. She never spent a day with me on a trapline but is more qualified for this job than I or my trapper friend.  :chuckle:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »
Here's what I find especially humorous. My youngest daughter will soon be done with college, with a masters in biology and two other degrees in psychology and I think teaching. She never spent a day with me on a trapline but is more qualified for this job than I or my trapper friend.  :chuckle:
Yeah....and if the two of you wrote separate but identical papers about wolves....her's would be science and your's would be ramblings of a disgruntled hunter/outfitter. :o

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »
You just have to learn to use big biological terms. You also have to take all emotion out of the paper you write (at least for it to be good scientific article).

Brandon

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #283 on: February 08, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
This was sent to me by a friend that lives in Idaho.  Some good reading and new information to me. 

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2011/05/10/overview-of-challis-idaho-meeting-about-hydatid-disease/

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2012, 07:43:26 AM »
I can't tell if I had a wolf on my property last night/morning. The dogs were raising hell and down off their normal patrol area. My boots are size 13 next to the tracks. The 3rd picture has coyote tracks mixed in with the wolf tracks. ?!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:31:39 AM by CAMPMEAT »
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal