Author Topic: why??  (Read 11314 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: why??
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 01:46:51 PM »
Its the potential and the fact every antler is different.  You just don't know.  Thos ewith character really can get you hooked.  I currently have the #2 shed in the world for a Typical Muledeer and its from Washington.   What does that tell you about potential even here in Washington.  I will spend the rest of my life trying to find "its match".

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »
I currently have the #2 shed in the world for a Typical Muledeer and its from Washington.   

Have you already posted photos?  I'd love to see it.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
Got a pic?
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
well cuz i dont really like to walk!! 

I don't believe I've ever read that sentence on a hunting website. :dunno:  At least your honest. :o

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Chris_D.

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »
i mean like i wouldn't want to do it for fun...i dont mind walking ......i would walk if i was carrying a gun looking for a deer.........or just scouting
Never eat yellow snow

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 05:04:17 PM »
I posted a not so good picture of one of my daughters with it, but not any others.  I was going to get one of it in the eyeguard thread as its a dandy.   I'll see if I have any others.  Really doesn't do the antler justice until you hold it up to like my 33 inch buck.  He would have a square rack and probably be about an inch wider. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »
Basically Chris, its a way to legally find bone in a different season.  To Some people hunting means a whole different thing and that is just fine.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »
i mean like i wouldn't want to do it for fun...i dont mind walking ......i would walk if i was carrying a gun looking for a deer.........or just scouting

Just consider shed hunting as scouting and you will learn alot. Why not do it and carry a camera instead of a gun. Besides, when you are deer hunting you shouldn't spend too much time looking at the ground.lol

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 07:26:26 PM »
When he stumbles across 1 then he will be addicted. 

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 07:44:56 PM »
Geez, C.D., I'm surprised you don't get it.  The more you walk, the more the hills lay down for you.

I look for reasons to walk and climb.  Mushroooms, trout, deer, elk, sheds....you name it.  Been walking so long, if I quit it makes me physically ill.  So I keep doing it so I can feel good. 

Try hunting some sheds.  Pretty soon you're legs will be big as fire hydrants, like mine -- and you'll dig the hell out of stomping straight up the mountainside, looking for just about any old thing.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 05:45:47 AM »
I may be partially to blame for Chris's lack of experience in shed hunting and the questions he has concerning it, We live on the west side and shed hunting is quite a bit more difficult when you cannot see the forest floor, sure there are places where you could get lucky and find a few if you were the only one that new about it.

It is just not a hobby we picked up over here and the cost of fuel and lack of knowledge of the shed hunting areas on the east side prevent us from making it a hobby, I would love to take Chris on a shed hunting adventure cause I know what it is like being from Wisconsin.

There is a ton of things that Chris will ask questions about since he is quite young and really just getting his feet wet so to speak in the outdoors. I know for a fact that he likes to walk and work and play games and mountain bike all over the place.

I keep telling him to quit asking why and quietly observe, and he has been doing pretty good until he found the poll section here on huntwa and I guess he just can't help himself !!  :chuckle: He is learning thanks to all of you being patient with his questions, don't worry I am sure there will be more to come !! Stay tuned  ;) 
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »
Shed hunting is hard on the Westside...and that is why I appreciate every one I find. I see these pics of guys finding 3,4, 5 sheds a trip and I wish it were that easy over here.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 11:01:10 AM »
Most of you should be glad that not everyone is interested in finding sheds.  I know I rather enjoyed it back in the 80's when nobody even cared about them.   :chuckle:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »
I'm with Bone on this one - except I generally give them away to a friend's wife who uses them as handles for the willow baskets she crafts and sells. 

I knew I wasn't in Wyoming anymore, though, when some a.. trespassed into my Wenatchee yard to steal all the big chalky whites I had decorating my flower bed.  I do miss being able to go onto vehicle-accessible public land in the spring, after the deer leave, and pick up 6-10 big browns and 10-30 whites in a day, without ever seeing another soul.  I don't think that opportunity exists any more in Wyoming either.

As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
i heard if we get caught out in the woods around here(germany) the forestmiester will throw a fit. that source is not very reliable on this subject though
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]