collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer Hunting Ft. Lewis  (Read 42996 times)

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Deer Hunting Ft. Lewis
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »
This might be a silly question, but are you allowed to take pictures of the deer you harvest while it's laying on jblm property? I know military bases are touchy about photography sometimes... does that apply in this case?

Yes. The adventure center has a board in the entrance where they would like you to post a pic. of the animal you harvested.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Muskrat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
Area 12 is off eastgate road (wont be open) Area 4 is good but alot of activity.10,8,9,16,3 Are all good areas 3 runs along I-5 and holds alot of deer.Like said before they wont move till you step on them.We us treestands and tag good bucks every year.Ive hunted it for 30 years Ive never seen a cougar or know anyone who has or even a track.Lots of bears on area 10,9,8,18 and a small herd of elk on 23 into 20.Ive seen 1 warden in 30 years who was watching cops pull a body off area 11. The fort is not even close to what it was 10 years ago but if its close to home check it out.Have fun hope this helps  Greg

Lets see some pics of those nice bucks then  :chuckle: :chuckle:

How about a couple from 1980 and 1981. Bosth were taken in the same spot. Exactly one year apart. Muskrat

Offline Wildsau

• Hunter
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »
I am new to this forum and am looking for a place to put meat on the table.  I hunted, for years, in Germany, and my freezer was never empty.  I have tried, for three seasons, down in the Mossy Rock area (505 and 520), but so much is privately owned, and closed, it is a waste of time for one who is not from that area. :bash:

I hunt with a bow, here, and living in Federal Way, Ft. Lewis is much more accessable, to me, than some of the other areas I would need to drive to.
One of the most important things I learned, studying for the exam to get my license, in Germany, was like Fishermen, Hunters NEVER lie :chuckle:; they speak Latin.  This means that only one who speaks "hunter" understands what a hunter is saying.

That being said, fellow hunters, I know there are deer and elk to be found on Ft. Lewis and I, also, know they will not come and jump into my vehicle for me. On top of that, I know it is, rather, late in this season.   All that is left, for this year is ML and Archery Late Deer and Elk.  Can someone tell me an TA where a novice Bow Hunter, wanting, only, to put meat on the table (horns are nice, but make terrible soup), can go and get a "bloody arrow"?  If you have a "honey spot", I am not looking to take it from you, or interfer with it.

I have a Post Pass (an advantage of being an Army Retiree) so next year, I will be doing some scouting, for myself, and find some areas to try, anyway, but to, at least, have an idea would be good.  I don't foresee a problem getting a Range Pass, if needed.

I would, also, welcome a hunting partner, during Archery Season for both deer and elk.  I fully believe in all who are in a party share the "spoils of the hunt", with rights to the internals going to the one making the kill.

If I am just spinning my wheels, for this season, I would ask those who are familiar with 'Ft. Lewis Hunting' to tell me, as well.

Hunting for bear, next season, will, also be on my list.

I look forward to conversing more on this forum/thread.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:18:32 AM by Wildsau »

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »
I am new to this forum and am looking for a place to put meat on the table.  I hunted, for years, in Germany, and my freezer was never empty.  I have tried, for three seasons, down in the Mossy Rock area (505 and 520), but so much is privately owned, and closed, it is a waste of time for one who is not from that area. :bash:

I hunt with a bow, here, and living in Federal Way, Ft. Lewis is much more accessable, to me, than some of the other areas I would need to drive to.
One of the most important things I learned, studying for the exam to get my license, in Germany, was like Fishermen, Hunters NEVER lie :chuckle:; they speak Latin.  This means that only one who speaks "hunter" understands what a hunter is saying.

That being said, fellow hunters, I know there are deer and elk to be found on Ft. Lewis and I, also, know they will not come and jump into my vehicle for me. On top of that, I know it is, rather, late in this season.   All that is left, for this year is ML and Archery Late Deer and Elk.  Can someone tell me an TA where a novice Bow Hunter, wanting, only, to put meat on the table (horns are nice, but make terrible soup), can go and get a "bloody arrow"?  If you have a "honey spot", I am not looking to take it from you, or interfer with it.

I have a Post Pass (an advantage of being an Army Retiree) so next year, I will be doing some scouting, for myself, and find some areas to try, anyway, but to, at least, have an idea would be good.  I don't foresee a problem getting a Range Pass, if needed.

I would, also, welcome a hunting partner, during Archery Season for both deer and elk.  I fully believe in all who are in a party share the "spoils of the hunt", with rights to the internals going to the one making the kill.

If I am just spinning my wheels, for this season, I would ask those who are familiar with 'Ft. Lewis Hunting' to tell me, as well.

Hunting for bear, next season, will, also be on my list.

I look forward to conversing more on this forum/thread.

No interpatation need here: Go to the NW Adven. center and get signed up. Once you do, find out what areas are open to hunt, sign in to one you think will be your best bet, and go hunt.   
There are "No Secret Spots" on JBLM. park your rig, get out, and walk.........and hope you jump a deer out of its beds.
After you hunt an area, hunt it some more to be sure you didn't miss any logs to kick out a deer. Check out of an area and check in to another area to get familure with it.

There really is not one area better then others. Some areas don't see much field use but receive a lot of poaching because of the easy access. Other areas dont get poached but get a lot of field manuvers being done ain the area.

Just get out there and hope for some luck  :tup:
Gasman

Offline akirkland

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
Theres no deer out here. Move along.  :chuckle:

Offline YoterHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
i shot the last one saterday of late buck. :chuckle:

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
i shot the last one saterday of late buck. :chuckle:

THERE YOU GO, BRAGGING AGAIN  :bow:
Gasman

Offline Wildsau

• Hunter
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »
Like I said, "Hunters NEVER lie, they speak Latin.

Thanks gasman, perhaps we will see each other out there next year.

Offline grunt11B

• Hunter
  • Love to hunt, hunt to live
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »
nice deers muskrat......There is no deers on Ft. Lewis, there all at Mossy Rock, and winston.....  ;) ;)
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Wildsau

• Hunter
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
Based on what I have read here and experienced in Mosey Rock and Winston, I have to agree.  I don't think Ft Lewis has EVER had as many deer as down there.  My only problem is it is so dang far to drive, and I don't have the camping equipment needed to spend any time down there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]