collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Longbows - Recurves  (Read 11892 times)

Offline pacyew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Baggins
Longbows - Recurves
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:28:06 PM »
These days there are more good tackle options open and better equipment available too bowhunters than ever before. By this, I don't mean gear that reaches out to longer ranges or that supposedly make the bow and arrow something different than it has ever been. I talking about quality. Equipment that stays in one piece, stays in tune and allows bowhunters more than ever to focus on what is most important - the actual hunting.

One of those good options is the simplest tackle-wise, the most basic styles of bows and the arrows that fit them, the longbow and recurve. They are different than the more modern compound bow in many ways. While all bowhuntin, done right, is a close range proposition, wit the longbow or recurve, effective ranges will be closer yet. They are a different challenge to shoot than the compound bow.

The compound is an excellent hunting tool in fairly controled situations, such as when hunting from a blind or stand, where shooting lanes can be pre-identified and groomed or in a set situation such as one calling, where you may be bringing an animal in with time to become set and ready for your shooting opportunity. This style of bow can be a little less handy in a still hunting or stalk to ambush situation, where tend to happen, and change fast.

It is in this dynamic circumstance that the simple longbow or recurve can really shine. Here, having the archer and his bow become truly "one" can be a real advantage. To be able to simply look and shoot with confidence opens up its own new possibilities over other effective but more complex shooting systems.

The key to a successful dynamic shooting is in the confidence. And the confidence comes from the right kind of practice and training. And the right kind of training is to take your longbow out in the woods, woods similar to what you'll be hunting in, and have fun shooting arrows. You can get down your form and the basic mechanics at close range in a back yard, but to really set sail and gain the confidence you'll need to be an effective hunter with the longbow or recurve, you really need to go and play in the woods.

To be effective, and have your most fun shooting the longbow or recurve, the bow must "disappear". Then it becomes just you, projecting the arrow downrange towards your point of focus. You look, visualize the shot, focus acutely on the tiny point that is your "mark", draw and release. But instead of a sequence of events, it is executed as one single, fluid rythmic action.

And I look forward to writing more about reaching this level of confidence, or nearly any other related topic anyone what to bring up or add.

Fire away! ;D

It's a great life if you don't weaken

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Longbows - Recurves
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:49:01 PM »
I went back to traditional this year for the first time after many years of compound shooting.  What a fantastic year with a great muley and moose hunt.

Offline Longbowz

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:33:15 PM »
Good article, and so true. :)

Offline pacyew

• Hunter
  • Baggins
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 08:20:33 PM »
boneaddict, please tell about your moose hunt! Where did you go?

Offline scrapper

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 11:16:11 AM »
I switched over to traditional archery (longbow)3 years ago. The longbow is light to carry in the woods and fun to shoot!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »
I took my Dad on a DIY moose hunt up in the Kenai region.  The whole story should be in eastmans bowhunting the next issue or so.  We drove up, which from here was 3 very long days.  Nothing better than spending that much time with your Dad though hearing stories you have heard a thousand times.  This time I listened very closely as I wonder how much time I have left with him.  We hiked and canoed(portaboat) in several miles and had an incredible hunt.  I busted a very nice moose that proved REALLY big by the time we got him out.  Mostly my Dad was along for the company, but I managed to get him to the kill site to enjoy the hunt.  It was an extremely lot of work, but well worth the adventure.  If you ever have a week to kill, drive up through BC and the southern part of Alaska.  Its indescribably unless you do it.  The main reason we drove was to get our gear up and moose back.  I love moose meat.  The neat part of the hunt was the new bow I got to break in on the adventure.  A bowyer in Montana made me a gorgeous hybrid out of cocobola (sp?) red elm, paduak and a bit of mopane.  It was the first animal killed with one of his bows.  I felt a little under bowed though when the big Coastal brown claimed my moose. : )

Offline pacyew

• Hunter
  • Baggins
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 08:38:17 PM »
Sounds like a really great overall trip. Thanks for the detail. It's hard to do DIY trip like that and have it work out. Having your Dad along is pretty special. I was able to accompany my Dad back in '94 on the last hunting trip that he took and it was priceless.

Your new bow was obviously a big hit. Who's the bowyer?

Moose meat is hard to beat. I hope you were able to salvage some from the aftermath. In any case a return trip for you must be in order. :tup:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:57:01 PM »
I was able to get almost all of my moose meat out.  The big bear ate the neck of all things and only part of one front shoulder.  i boned that shoulder out with one eye to the left and one to the right.  As you know hunting trips with your Dad are priceless.  I believe I had the pleasure of meeting your Dad a couple years ago if in fact he is Glenn.  I was over for the WSB banquet, and I won his award for my Washington moose.  He is a very honorable man.

The boyer was Ernie Mckenzie out of Lolo Montana.  His business is Sapphire Archery and his line of bows is the Sapphire Hawk.  He hasn't been in business long, but has an incredible skill and eye, and I believe his business is off to a great start.  I couldn't be happier with the bow he made for me.

Offline pacyew

• Hunter
  • Baggins
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
I've not met him, but will try and contact him next time in in the Lolo area.  8)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 05:46:46 PM »
He would probably like that.  I've talked to him about your bows.  Are you still in the bowmaking business?  I've never shot one, but they sure are nice looking.

Offline pacyew

• Hunter
  • Baggins
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:51:50 PM »
Yep, still building them. 'Make lots of sawdust and sometimes a bow crawls out . . .  ;)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Yep, I've heard about that sawdust.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx