collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: what size pistol should i carry for elk hunting?  (Read 38088 times)

Offline huntinguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter

Offline grizzlyadams

• Longhunter
Re: what size pistol should i carry for elk hunting?
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2011, 04:43:04 AM »
Found this link.

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?act...downfile&id=80

Great link....thanks for sharing. Took some time to go through the do no patronize list and circumstances behind the list entries. I can say i will not be patronizing these places anymore.
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

Offline Glockster

• Scout
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »
To clarify, I don't recommend picking gun over spray or visa versa.....I carry both. 

Mostly it boils down to situational awareness as to which weapon and when to deploy that determines your chances of coming out on top when it comes to self defense situations in the woods or the concrete jungle.   

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
I have been charged by a bear before while elk hunting and I can assure you, the adrenaline is such an intense rush there would be no way I could have hit it if I had a side arm,  I am sure some people wouldn't be phased but the majority would.  This is something for you all to consider, will you be able to maintain a good shot when you are really wanting to unload into your pants, hyperventilate, and run the opposite direction? Not to mention hold still while you shake pretty much uncontrollably? 

You can shoot all day long for a year, but when a bear is charging at you it is a completely different ball game.

All I had to do in my case was stand up and the bear stopped charging and took off the other direction, but that didn't happen until it was about 10 feet away from me. 

PS the bear charging me was an awesome experience I must say!

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
To clarify, I don't recommend picking gun over spray or visa versa.....I carry both. 

Mostly it boils down to situational awareness as to which weapon and when to deploy that determines your chances of coming out on top when it comes to self defense situations in the woods or the concrete jungle.

I would say this is the best option

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »

You can shoot all day long for a year, but when a bear is charging at you it is a completely different ball game.

Absolutely not true.

If you completely fall apart mentally your not going to be able pull a gun, shoot pepper spray or do anything else but crap your pants.

But I can guarantee that if you have trained with a firearm to that degree, there is NO THOUGHT in pulling a firearm and shooting fast and accurately. It is 100% auto-pilot

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
Agree 100% action shooter. I have been in 4 bad situations 3 were with a handgun one with a rifle. I will stick to just the handgun cases. 2 were with 4 legged critters and one with a 2 legged one. Every time I have been amazed how clear my head was. I have actually looked back and can't remember reaching for or drawing my gun. It is muscle memory and time tested training that will save you in a bad situation. If you shoot enough rds you will learn this.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:12 PM »

Absolutely not true.

If you completely fall apart mentally your not going to be able pull a gun, shoot pepper spray or do anything else but crap your pants.

But I can guarantee that if you have trained with a firearm to that degree, there is NO THOUGHT in pulling a firearm and shooting fast and accurately. It is 100% auto-pilot

I suggest re-reading what I posted.  I said the majority wouldn't be able to perform, and clearly stated that some can. 

I feel comfortable in saying I could have pulled a pepper spray bottle and sprayed in the general direction,(spray is a cloud not a stream.)  but no way in heck could I have hit the vitals with side arm. 

Ill restate,  some can maintain composure with a gun, especially those with prior experience in these types of situations.  However I strongly feel the average joe and firearm enthusiast would lose composure fast.

Disclaimer- I am not doubting anybodies skill whatsoever, just saying the majority wouldn't have a very good chance of making a charge stopping kind of a shot in the moment.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:32:32 PM by Recurve-Elk »

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

Absolutely not true.

I suggest re-reading what I posted.  I said the majority wouldn't be able to perform, and clearly stated that some can. 

I feel comfortable in saying I could have pulled a pepper spray bottle and sprayed in the general direction,(spray is a cloud not a stream.)  but no way in heck could I have hit the vitals with side arm. 

Ill restate,  some can maintain composure with a gun, especially those with prior experience in these types of situations.  However I strongly feel the average joe and firearm enthusiast would lose composure fast.

Disclaimer- I am not doubting anybodies skill whatsoever, just saying the majority wouldn't have a very good chance of making a charge stopping kind of a shot in the moment.

I was false charged by a smaller blacky a few years ago. He was 30-40' out,  popping his jaws and making a god awful growl/wuff combo while he would jump toward me about 5 feet at a time. I was definately scared but not terrified. No spray and no gun, what I did have was a camera and I guess I was to busy taking pics too realize I was probably in trouble. I just kept backing up and he turned and took off after forever (20 seconds)  :chuckle:

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »
Awesome experience wasn't it?!?!  I loved my bear encounter one of my most vivid hunting memories.  I should say that most of my adrenaline rush came after the fact and it was a genuine natural high  :chuckle:   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:37:46 PM by Recurve-Elk »

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »
It is something I will never forget.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2016, 11:31:46 AM »
Thread reserection, had a cougar that wouldn't leave me alone after I harvested a cow elk this year. What is everybody's favorite caliber and gun to carry? The wife gave me the green light to buy a pistol to take with me and up until a few days ago I didn't think I would ever need one in the woods.

My goals are, lightweight, semi auto, pack a punch, able to clip onto my Kifaru belt.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
I'm looking potentially at a Springfield XDS in .45 it's 5+1. Any thoughts?

Offline 7mmBuckley

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
Ran into a game warden on a trail in Wyoming I got to talking with him and I noticed he had a 44 and bear spray on the other side. I asked him oh so you have back up when the spray doesn't work. He said NO the gun is for crazy hunters and the spray is for the bears. He said on 4 different occasions he had bears charge him on a full run and he hit them with the spray and they stop on a dime and run off breaking everything they hit. Keep in mind most spray is for 10 to 15 feet. In Wyoming I carry bear spray.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »
I'm looking potentially at a Springfield XDS in .45 it's 5+1. Any thoughts?

Whqts the benefit of a semi auto if its only 6 round capacity?  Why not a .357 revolver?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal