collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proposed Turkey Hunting Changes  (Read 11881 times)

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Proposed Turkey Hunting Changes
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
I just left the first of the WDFW meetings in Federal Way.  Specifically I wanted to see and comment on the options for the early fall and late fall hunts.  Here are the options they gave:
1) No change
2) Increase the length of the late fall season to overlap with the modern firearm deer season.
3) Increase the number of GMS's open for harvest.
4) Allow archers to take a turkey during their deer season
5) Some combinaton of the above.
Background for these proposals (in summary) is a increase in turkey populations causing numerous property landowner complaints.  It is an attempt to increase fall hunter participation.
Format of the meeting was an initial breakout to the various issue areas on the agendas to speak  one on one with the mgr. in charge of that issue area.  Well, there is currently no upland game bird manager so the waterfowl manager was manning this area.  Very nice gentleman, but by his own admission he was very unfamilar with the turkey issue.  He was bascially interested in just taking my comments and here is what I had to say.
1) Turkey populations in some parts of the state might be increasing, but specifically in  area 121 they are not only not increasing but are down rather dramatcially, yet the proposal is to expand the beardless only hunt in this unit?  He had no current numbers either way on populations in any NE unit.
I proposed a bearded bird only fall hunt, and a total discontuation  of the late fall season.  In keeping with their theme of increasing participation, I suggested that there will actaully be more turkey hunters go out on a fall bearded hunt, than currently go out into the beardless only hunting units. 
At that point, I decided that I was probably wasting my time and his (Nice guy but he would much rather talk duck hunting than turkey hunting).  Left my comment with him and left.
I guess my point is, that unless we get some comments in (you can comment online at  wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/seasonsetting)  we're going to see the rifle hunters, bow hunters and "shoot any turkey from the road" hunters continue to decimate our NE unit birds.  I was not happy with the population during the spring hunt, and I'm even less happy with the poult count I"m seeing over there this summer-hate to see them open the hunt up even more in the fall and winter. 
Kind of a disjointed post, but I hope those of you out there who see the turkey hunt as something other than a post scrpt to to the big game hunts will get online and comment or go to the meeting and comment.  I don't think anyone in the department really has a strong opinion anyway (with the upland game mgr. resigning) and a strong number of opposing comments may turn the tide. Couple of the deer hunt guys there thought it would be pretty cool to be able to knock off a couple of turkeys while they were hunting deer.  (wonder what they'd think if we proposed knocking off a couple of deer while we were turkey hunting). Just my  :twocents:

Offline turkey slayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: Proposed Turkey Hunting Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
Thanks for the up date.  :bash: :mor:

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
Ya lets just kill them all. :bash:
If it flies it dies.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »
Well I am not much on the fall hunt ...but if they want to continue doing so then I would rather have them shooting hens rather than gobblers ... what I do not like about fall hunts is that the birds are in big flocks and the guys flock shoot ..wounding way to many birds and you add that to the winter kill and thats just devasting the birds ....THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE FARMERS ...THEY DO NOT LIKE THEM IN THE WINTER MONTHS because they hang around tearing sheet up .... :twocents:

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
 :yeah:
Also don't like the idea of opening it to deer, etc hunters ... if they want to hunt turkeys, let them do so with the same seasons, bag limits, and requirements of the turkey hunters ...

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
We already have a week or more overlap of early fall turkey during early archery or muzzleloader season each fall and another month of late season overlap with bow season. I can kill 6 birds in northeast Washington, including 4 in the fall, that's ridiculous.

I like the idea of increasing participation and spreading out the harvest to more hunters and we want to be careful and try to encourage this idea of expanded participation and get it expanded into other species seasons. Participation is an important aspect to the future of our sport. :twocents:

With all that said, the current fall turkey killing sprees are wiping out our public land flocks and actually ecouraging flocks to move onto private propery where the problems occur. If there are landowners who are complaining, I suggest a program similar to what we have for crop damage by doe deer. The program allows landowners to get depredation tags for doe deer to issue to whomever they wish, best of all it takes care of damage problems on private lands without issueing tags valid for all the public accessible lands where no problems are occuring. The hunting on the private land discourages the deer from coming on the property where the damage is actually occuring. If a person takes a doe they must use their deer tag, so they are no longer hunting bucks that year. This program actually works out real well in all aspects.

So if the annual fall season take for eastern Washington was reduced to only one bird, I would agree with allowing a 3 day early fall season overlap during each of the early bow, muzzleloader, and rifle deer seasons. This would increase and spread out participation with more people killing one fall bird rather than a few people killing many birds.

All late fall season turkey hunting should occur only on problem private properties on which the owner has registered their name, address, phone number, and GMU where they are located with the Olympia office. A ranch name, phone number, and GMU could be listed online or given out over the phone. Leave it up to hunters wanting to hunt the late fall season and landowners wanting turkeys killed to communicate with each other. Run the late fall private land season into February and this will encourage turkeys to leave the properties experiencing problems and it will help protect our disappearing public land turkey flocks.

Summary

Fall Bag Limit, 1 turkey

3-Day Early Fall Turkey Season, during Early Archery Deer
3-Day Early Fall Turkey Season, during Early Muzzle Deer
3-Day Early Fall Turkey Season, during Early Rifle Deer

Special Late Depredation Turkey Season, Nov 20 to February 28  (on registered Private Lands only)

any thoughts.....
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Camp David

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
Bear paw i like the idea of Damage hunts. i think that your correct in saying a lot of the population learns quickly where it is safe and where the food is (farms). Thinning out the "pests" will leave the "wild" birds to survive. With all of that said i still like the opportunity of bagging a tom while in my tree stand deer hunting. I remember hunting 124 when there was no turkeys.
Don't spend your last day on earth saying "I wish I would have"

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:52 AM »
I agree Bearpaw, in fact, you are bascially stating what I said when I actually went on line and filled out comments. The idea of throwing entire game units open to the taking of 6 birds  in an attempt to quell site specific landowner complaints is not good management. I suspect many of these complaints come from landowners who allow no or limtied access or are bordered by landowners who allow no access.  What is happening is the birds that live on public or landowner accessible property get hammered, and the problem birds go on being problem birds.  Extending the season to allow deer hunters to even further hammer these birds is just plain crazy!!  Not that they'll listen, but I did bascially parrot your ideas and I hope others will get on line and do the same.

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
I agree Bearpaw, in fact, you are bascially stating what I said when I actually went on line and filled out comments. The idea of throwing entire game units open to the taking of 6 birds  in an attempt to quell site specific landowner complaints is not good management. I suspect many of these complaints come from landowners who allow no or limtied access or are bordered by landowners who allow no access.  What is happening is the birds that live on public or landowner accessible property get hammered, and the problem birds go on being problem birds.  Extending the season to allow deer hunters to even further hammer these birds is just plain crazy!!  Not that they'll listen, but I did bascially parrot your ideas and I hope others will get on line and do the same.

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
I agree with Bearpaw also and said basically the same on the survey. Again it's the bird causing the problems that are increasing because the'ye not being hunted , while the public flocks are decreasing. The WDFW wants the complaints from land owners to stop and if that means by killing all the turkeys then they'd be happy. I personally think that those in charge would love for the birds to just go away. :twocents:
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »
If it flies it dies.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:04:03 PM »
Whats wrong with trapping and relocating the birds to suitable public habitat?? DUH?? That is one reason we have the increased numbers of birds where there were no birds before. No more relocating says the Wildlife Dept.  Kill Kill Kill. Sell tags   Sell tags  Sell tags.. By the way, just got back from the meeting in Spokane.... What I heard the most was " The governor said we can't address that or the commissioners say they will not address that issue....
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
I was there last night as well at the Spokane meeting and spent quite a bit of time speaking with Joe McCanna from the WDFW (he was the one fielding questions and comments about turkeys). 

I listened to others for a while talk about the proposed options (increase season length, allow rifle hunter season overlap, allow archers to take a turkey, opening up more GMU's, etc).  There seemed to be a strong opinion of NOT allowing rifle season overlap with turkeys, but an overall opinion of "how can we kill more turkeys?"

When I finally spoke to Joe, I had basically the exact opposite stance than he had been hearing for a half hour or so.  I told him that in my opinion we are killing too many turkeys and are targeting the wrong birds.  I expressed my concern that the current management plan has created a situation where the private land nuisance flocks aren't being targeted in the late fall/winter while public land birds are being wiped out and/or are relocating to private land (where they in turn subsequently become nuisance flocks). 

I went on to explain that it was also my opinion that the numbers the WDFW put out each year about the flocks increasing aren't really taking the entirety of the situation into consideration - being that while yes, the population can be said to be increasing when looked at from the perspective of entire GMU's .... but that in a lot of places the public land bird populations can be seen to be declining due to overhunting and relocating to private land.

I was impressed at the level of attention Joe was giving while I was talking to him, and when I finished I was happy to hear him say "I completely agree with you".  He seemed sincerely interested to be hearing this point of view and became very engaged in the conversation with a seemingly "how can the WDFW fix this" type of attitude.

I brought up the possibility of organized youth hunts targeting the nuisance flocks as a means of increasing participation while at the same time attempting to better manage localized areas instead of entire GMU's.  He explained that the local WDFW offices keep a list every year of landowners who have reported nuisance flocks and that we can call the office anytime to get a list of these landowners.  I personally wasn't aware of this, so it was good to hear and he strongly encouraged it.  He also liked the youth aspect of this and suggested hunters take the time to suggest this via the comments on the online survey.

There were some other interesting conversations regarding other topics, I'll post them in the appropriate categories

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 07:50:12 AM »
Nice job Cedarpants!!-glad to hear they're hearing from us both at the meetings and online. I did'nt know they kept that list either, I'll be interested in seeing it. 

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:19 AM »
Nice job Cedarpants!!-glad to hear they're hearing from us both at the meetings and online. I did'nt know they kept that list either, I'll be interested in seeing it.

Thank you baldopepper.  I should note as well that he made it a point to make everyone aware that those lists will contain reports from landowners in areas that can and cannot be hunted.  That said, he stated the offices should be able to easily provide the info on the areas that can be hunted

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:08 AM »
CedarPants thanks for going to the meeting and for providing the great comments to the WDFW and the report here.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
Good job ... I especially like the idea of the youth hunts with the focus on the "excess birds" (formerly known as nuisance birds) on private land versus the states previous shotgun focus on all GMU birds no matter where they were.
 :bdid:

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
One can equate WDFW's lack of hands on management such as trap and transfer and relocation of birds as a toilet backing up in regards to turkeys.  Never was a problem in the 90's when birds were actively trapped when there was a problem and relocated to other areas in various counties were both sportsmen and entities like timber companies were anxiously awaiting their release.

Change of management starting in late 1999, whereas we don't want to release turkeys in any area, whether turkeys are present or not because we're to freaking stupid to know what negatives might happen.  Truth is wildlife management staff hates turkeys, always has, and this was nothing more than a ploy to end turkey releases period. 

Then the back up occurred, and landowners who were once satisfied with the trap and transfer were not left with no recourse other than complain as numbers increased.  Prefect scenario for WDFW as now they promote the liberal killing of birds.

This is just one example of how WDFW manages our resource.  It's all on paper for the most part.  Always has been and always will with the "I don't get my hands dirty" biologist mind set.  Had a great, no we had a state of the art program in the 90's with staff in the field with equipment working with landowners, and it scared the holy crap out of the go to meeting types.  They had been saying for years we couldn't do things for one reason or another and now along comes a unique approach and program that proved them wrong. 

They...wildlife management took it over through reorganization and dismantled it.  Excused it away...no money or whatever fit.  It how everything is run at WDFW in general.  There are some bright spots, but few in number. They think wolves are a success story...tell you anything.

Sorry for the rant....should avoid reading these threads...just pisses me off to no end the amount of stupidity inside the NRB!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:29:42 PM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 05:03:49 PM »
One can equate WDFW's lack of hands on management such as trap and transfer and relocation of birds as a toilet backing up in regards to turkeys.  Never was a problem in the 90's when birds were actively trapped when there was a problem and relocated to other areas in various counties were both sportsmen and entities like timber companies were anxiously awaiting their release.

Change of management starting in late 1999, whereas we don't want to release turkeys in any area, whether turkeys are present or not because we're to freaking stupid to know what negatives might happen.  Truth is wildlife management staff hates turkeys, always has, and this was nothing more than a ploy to end turkey releases period. 

Then the back up occurred, and landowners who were once satisfied with the trap and transfer were not left with no recourse other than complain as numbers increased.  Prefect scenario for WDFW as now they promote the liberal killing of birds.

This is just one example of how WDFW manages our resource.  It's all on paper for the most part.  Always has been and always will with the "I don't get my hands dirty" biologist mind set.  Had a great, no we had a state of the art program in the 90's with staff in the field with equipment working with landowners, and it scared the holy crap out of the go to meeting types.  They had been saying for years we couldn't do things for one reason or another and now along comes a unique approach and program that proved them wrong. 

They...wildlife management took it over through reorganization and dismantled it.  Excused it away...no money or whatever fit.  It how everything is run at WDFW in general.  There are some bright spots, but few in number. They think wolves are a success story...tell you anything.

Sorry for the rant....should avoid reading these threads...just pisses me off to no end the amount of stupidity inside the NRB!
pretty much smacked that nail on the head  :yeah:

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »

think wolves are a success story...tell you anything.

If they think wolves are a success story, they must think Jonestown was a testimonial to the popularity of Kool Aid

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »
More people would participate in turkey hunts if it didn't cost 17 bucks a piece to shoot one, not including a small game license.  As for the number of birds, i hunt two different gmu's and numbers were great in both this spring and fall.  If farmers and landowners "hate" turkeys, they need to SHOOT them.  You blast enough of them and they won't come back. 

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
More people would participate in turkey hunts if it didn't cost 17 bucks a piece to shoot one, not including a small game license.  As for the number of birds, i hunt two different gmu's and numbers were great in both this spring and fall.  If farmers and landowners "hate" turkeys, they need to SHOOT them.  You blast enough of them and they won't come back.

The Washington for Wildlife turkey committee recently provided feedback to the Wildlife Commission regarding options for reducing the price of tags as well as expanding hunting opportunities on private lands where the birds become a nuisance.  This was for the 2012-2014 hunting season setting process. 

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
Thanks Cedar Pants for the time you put in on this.

I like being able to hunt with my kids (and myself) when we're in camo and not having to worry about high power rifles/many deer hunters.  We do a lot of bushwhacking w/o always wearing the orange but maybe I should rethink that .

I like the idea of being able to hunt property around where the the "problem" birds are at.  The fall season has been a good time for my kids to do some hunting for turkey.  Not to make it complicated but maybe the fall could work for a turkey youth hunt as well?

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Expanding opportunities for youth ..... specifically in the fall ..... was a major talking point of the feedback sent to the Wildlife Commission  :tup:

Offline Mr T

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 08:13:54 AM »
If the turkeys are such a issue on private lands then us out there in early April with airsoft guns and atv's  :chuckle:

We have had very little success obtaining permission on good turkey land, and we are even flingin arrows instead of lead.
How many landowners that have turkey issues allow hunters?

Surprised the wdfw hasn't developed a landowner permit system for us to apply for.  Just a few more bucks for a turkey  :chuckle:

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »
Great info.  As a westside hunter, if I had such a property lined up ahead of time, I would certainly consider a trip in the fall to mitigate the damage being caused by these nefarious evil turkeys.  :chuckle:

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
the only change i would like to see made is bring back the first free tag with the small game license.
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:06 AM »

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »
Absolutely not.  Ever hear the term "free taggers"?  That idiotic move changed the whole landowner view of turkey hunters and the perception of turkey hunting by many.  Up until the free tag, landowners generally thought turkey hunters were the creme of the crop.  Always asked, always complied with wishes, whatever.  Then the free tag turned loose hoards of non turkey hunters that went because they got a free tag.  Many of those folks were idiots.  Driving down roads, seeing birds, shooting from roads, dressed in jeans and t-shirts, stalking in on people calling, flock shooting....I could go on and on and on. 

Result.....landowners now saw turkey hunters in a different light.  One of the stupidest things WDFW ever did.  Another is two bird in one day, but I'll stop my rant there.  Careful what you wish for. :bdid: 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:38:12 AM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
YEAH YEAH  :yeah:  :tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
I like #4 :tup:
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:23 AM »
 :yeah: :yeah: Definitely a double Yeah that for Wac. Comments. The state finds it easier to just write more predation tags than to wrok with anyone within the state for the betterment of Turkeys. Their stance is they're non Native and a pest. The gentleman that may take over the upland dept has benn quoted that he feels turkeys are to blame for the reduction of grouse numbers in the NE. That being said most if not all of you on here know how factless that basis is. So this is what we're going to continue to be fighting. I've also heard form a good source of mine at the WDFW that they will also open a fall season in the Teanaway unit. So I for see the same problem happening there. Forcing more birds to private land and increasing the complaints there too. I think we as Turkey enthusiast are in for some rougher waters in the future. Hopefull we can stand strong together and fight this. :twocents:
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 07:55:34 AM »
:yeah: :yeah: Definitely a double Yeah that for Wac. Comments. The state finds it easier to just write more predation tags than to wrok with anyone within the state for the betterment of Turkeys. Their stance is they're non Native and a pest. The gentleman that may take over the upland dept has benn quoted that he feels turkeys are to blame for the reduction of grouse numbers in the NE. That being said most if not all of you on here know how factless that basis is. So this is what we're going to continue to be fighting. I've also heard form a good source of mine at the WDFW that they will also open a fall season in the Teanaway unit. So I for see the same problem happening there. Forcing more birds to private land and increasing the complaints there too. I think we as Turkey enthusiast are in for some rougher waters in the future. Hopefull we can stand strong together and fight this. :twocents:

Can you send me a PM with the name of the gentleman you talked with at WDFW?  Thanks.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 08:04:09 AM »
If they want more turkeys shot, lower the f ing price to shot one.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
Same old story....all the turkeys will eat the frogs ..all the turkeys will eat the snails and on and on .....The way this state is headed at this time they should be thankful we have turkeys and the amount of revenue it pulls in.... alot of our resourses are going to sheet !!! just wait until we have wolves eating everything in sight  :yike: :twocents:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:29 AM »

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
Well turkeys aren't native to this state, i guess we Should kill them all

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
"The gentleman that may take over the upland dept has benn quoted that he feels turkeys are to blame for the reduction of grouse numbers in the NE."

If that is the case, then why do grouse even occur in states where turkeys are native.  Of course it's easier to blame turkeys than to actually figure out what to do for grouse.  Surprised they don't blame Bush.  Tell you what, if I'm a grouse or a small bird up in the NE, I'm damn glad I have those big rack footed turkeys scratching up areas around trees so I can get something to eat in the cold of winter.  Good grief, where did common sense go?  With all the research being done on turkeys in this country there is no evidence showing a negative impact on other wildlife.  Just the opposite in many cases. 

That's always the "sky is falling" approach all these idiots take.  They just throw out garbage like that and fail to back it up with data.  They just speculate on the negative and promote it, knowing they can make the argument without actually having to do anything. 

Typical environmentalist...greener....hugger approach.  They never have to prove anything, just throw it out there like it is real.  Absolute BS! 

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
And when you talk to these "experts", they already have in their mind what they want to do no matter what anyone else recommends or can prove ....
 :bash:   :yike:

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
And when you talk to these "experts", they already have in their mind what they want to do no matter what anyone else recommends or can prove ....
 :bash:   :yike:

Exactly!

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
 GGRRRR..... :bash:   2 toms in spring, 1 early fall, 2 beardless fall and 1 late fall.  4 birds in the fall per person.  WOW..pathetic.  This is how you manage a resource? 

Double parethesis are cross outs in proposals...found here..

http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/2012/wsr_12-04-098.pdf

WILD TURKEY:
YOUTH SEASON
LEGAL BIRD: Male turkeys and turkeys with visible beards only.
SEASON DATES: April ((3-4, 2010)) 7-8, 2013; April ((2-3, 2011)) 6-
7, 2014; April ((7-8, 2012)) 4-5, 2015.
SPRING SEASON
SEASON DATES: April 15 - May 31, ((2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)) 2013,
2014, 2015.
BAG LIMIT: The combined spring/youth season limit is three (3)
birds. Only two (2) turkeys may be killed in Eastern Washington,
except only one (1) may be killed in Chelan, Kittitas, or Yakima
counties. One (1) turkey may be killed per year in Western
Washington outside of Klickitat County. Two (2) turkeys may be
killed in Klickitat County.
FALL NORTHEAST BEARDLESS TURKEY SEASON
LEGAL BIRD: Beardless only.
LEGAL HUNTER: Open to all hunters with a valid turkey tag.
OPEN AREA: GMUs ((105-124)) 105-142.
SEASON DATES: ((Sept. 26 - Oct. 9, 2009; Sept. 25 - Oct. 8, 2010;
Sept. 24 - Oct. 7, 2011)) Sept. 22 - Oct. 12, 2012; Sept. 21 - Oct.
11, 2013; Sept. 20 - Oct. 10, 2014.
BAG LIMIT: Two (2) beardless turkeys (in addition to other fall
[ 3 ] OTS-4575.1
turkey harvest).
EARLY FALL GENERAL SEASON
LEGAL BIRD: Either sex.
OPEN AREA: GMUs 101, ((127-133)) 124-142, 145-154, and 162-186.
SEASON DATES: ((Sept. 26 - Oct. 9, 2009; Sept. 25 - Oct. 8, 2010;
Sept. 24 - Oct. 7, 2011)) Sept. 22 - Oct. 12, 2012; Sept. 21 - Oct.
11, 2013; Sept. 20 - Oct. 10, 2014.
BAG LIMIT: One (1) turkey ((during the early fall general and permit
hunting seasons combined)) either sex (in addition to other fall
turkey harvest).
FALL PERMIT SEASONS
LEGAL HUNTER: All hunters who are selected in the fall turkey
special permit drawing and who possess a valid turkey tag.
Hunt Name
Permit Season
Dates
Special
Restrictions
Boundary
Description Permits Bag Limit.*
Klickitat Sept. ((26 - Oct.
9, 2009, Sept.
25 - Oct. 8,
2010, Sept. 24 -
Oct. 7, 2011))
22 - Oct. 12,
2012, Sept. 21 -
Oct. 11, 2013,
Sept. 20 - Oct.
10, 2014
Either sex GMUs 382,
388, 568-578
150 1
Methow Nov. 15 - Dec.
15, ((2009,
2010, 2011))
2012, 2013,
Either sex GMUs 218-231
and 242
50 1
.*BAG LIMIT: During the early fall general and permit hunting seasons
combined.
LATE FALL SEASON
OPEN AREA: GMUs ((105-124)) 105-142, 149-154, 162-186.
SEASON DATES: Nov. 20 - Dec. 15, ((2009, 2010, 2011)) 2012, 2013,
BAG LIMIT: One (1) turkey.
HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR INCENTIVE PERMITS
[ 4 ] OTS-4575.1
LEGAL HUNTER: Qualified hunter education instructors who are
selected through a random drawing. Qualifying hunter education
instructors must be certified and have been in active status for a
minimum of three consecutive years, inclusive of the year prior to
the permit drawing. Instructors who are drawn, accept a permit,
and are able to participate in the hunt, will not be eligible for
these incentive permits for a period of ten years thereafter.
OPEN AREA: Statewide.
SEASON DATES: April 1 - May 31, ((2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)) 2013,
2014, 2015.
PERMITS: 2.
OFFICIAL HUNTING HOURS FOR WILD TURKEY:
HUNTING HOURS: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset during spring
and fall seasons.
SPECIAL REGULATIONS FOR WILD TURKEY:
1. Turkey season is open for shotgun shooting #4 shot or smaller,
archery, and muzzleloader shotgun shooting #4 shot or smaller.
2. A turkey tag is required for hunting turkey.
3. It is unlawful to use dogs to hunt turkeys.
4. It is unlawful to bait game birds.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »
Amen to that Wacent.Can't count how many times I've seen grouse poop inside Turkey scratchings, or kicked up grouse in those areas. But it again shows what we're up against. I'm a little scared for the future of Turkeys in Wa. Right now. If we can't get some one in the higher up reaches of the WDFW to see our concerns I think they'll let them be hunted like grouse or crows pretty soon  :twocents:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
holy sheet Yelp ... that took some time to spell out  :chuckle: :tup: I do not know antmore about washington....it is really hard to imagine what our kids are going to witness !!!!!!! :bash: :bash:

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »
A reminder for everyone to go get their Discovery Pass before eliminating the turkey population. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal