collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would you kill her?  (Read 11620 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: Would you kill her?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
I'd shoot em both.  Got lots of tags to fill!!

That's funny, I'd turn you in! 

I'm so glad I didn't give you any information on the White River unit.  All that is needed up there is one more ignorant @**hole that kills multiple animals and doesn't give a sh*t about the laws or the other hunters.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:35:25 AM by jackelope »
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:02 AM »
After watching a calf stand by a gut pile of someones harvest for the week while I was hunting bull elk some years ago (They had a cow permit season during the bull hunt).  I would need to do some hard study before I would drop a cow.  I would need to be very certain she was barren.  Elk are herd animals true.  I have to tell you this calf would not leave it's momma's gut pile though, there were other elk in the area.  Pretty much confirmed I'm a softy.  That animal was truly missing it's mother and stayed there through some awful weather. 

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »
If I had a cow tag, which I dont I dont have any tag this year yet.....I would think one could find a cow without a calf  :dunno: culling a barren cow does more from a management standpoint, and I guess I look at it sort of from that perspective.... too many years raising animals and managing animals....not opposed to killing cows or calves...but based on the way the question was asked and the variables given I gave my answer....who knows if I will ever kill anything so far seems pretty unlikely so not gonna worry about it until the scenario is laid out in front of me.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
How you gunna feel when your quartering her and the calf's circling you in the brush chirping? Some questions can only be answered for yourself.........

How would I feel?? Been there done that, and would do it again in a heart beat if given the chance again.. In other words wouldn't bother me one bit..

Hunterman(Tony)

I'm in agreement with you on this one.  I'm all for the meat and I could careless if I harvested a bull or buck as long as I come home with meat.  If the scenario was calf circling the whole time or stayed by the gut pile all week then the calf is going to be reunited with it's mother asap!  MEAT, it's what's for dinner! :drool: 
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
How you gunna feel when your quartering her and the calf's circling you in the brush chirping? Some questions can only be answered for yourself.........

How would I feel?? Been there done that, and would do it again in a heart beat if given the chance again.. In other words wouldn't bother me one bit..

Hunterman(Tony)

I'm in agreement with you on this one.  I'm all for the meat and I could careless if I harvested a bull or buck as long as I come home with meat.  If the scenario was calf circling the whole time or stayed by the gut pile all week then the calf is going to be reunited with it's mother asap!  MEAT, it's what's for dinner! :drool:
:yeah:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »
After watching a calf stand by a gut pile of someones harvest for the week while I was hunting bull elk some years ago (They had a cow permit season during the bull hunt).  I would need to do some hard study before I would drop a cow.  I would need to be very certain she was barren.  Elk are herd animals true.  I have to tell you this calf would not leave it's momma's gut pile though, there were other elk in the area.  Pretty much confirmed I'm a softy.  That animal was truly missing it's mother and stayed there through some awful weather.

I've seen the same thing happen a couple times, although not for a week!  That would be terrible to watch.  Apparently I'm a softy too.

I've taken two anterless elk, both calves.  I take the calves primarily because they still provide plenty of meat, and it's the best meat you can get.  But watching the calf wait for it's mother to stand up is something I'd like to avoid as well, not to mention the possibility that the calf is not totally weened.  I've passed  on plenty of does with fawns for the same reasons. 

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »

That's funny, I'd turn you in! 

I'm so glad I didn't give you any information on the White River unit.  All that is needed up there is one more ignorant @**hole that kills multiple animals and doesn't give a sh*t about the laws or the other hunters.

My thoughts exactly.  I am just hoping he wasn't serious.  There are way too many hunters who think its okay to shoot multiple animals, they tag one, then have their buddies tag the others.  This messes up the whole entire game management/conservation system.  Some people literally think it is LEGAL! Drives me nuts. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:42:20 PM by jackelope »

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:44 AM »
I will most assuredly be in the minority; but, I would pass on the shot.

And it is usually not a problem to find more antlerless elk.
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:45 AM »
If you not hunting bulls wack her ! the calf will group up with the herd .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
On the VERY rare occasions I have either a doe or a cow tag...I look for a barren cow and watch her for a while.  Cows are good eats, but I dont want to cut off the line, so I'll find one past her breeding time.  Does?  Wont generally take one unless its a depredation hunt, like some of the WT hunts in eastern WA to thin out the furry combines.

Once a LONG time ago I was where Goldeneye described but with a doe and fawn that was just old enough to have lost the spots.  She stayed in the brush circling and bleating....and then stayed over her mother's gutpile. I didnt like the feeling that gave me at all.  :sry:

That assumes that all is well in the world.  Flip the coin to pure survival...probably take the first thing past the muzzle and eat all i could and smoke/dry the rest.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline buglin4bulls

• Scout
  • HAHA! HERE WE GO
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »
Okay just to clear the air... I hunt gmu 454 on private land. Its a kill anything thats brown area. Any elk, and Deer.
This is the year im going to get drawn, i can feel it. NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED... damn :(

Offline cuzsis

• Tracker
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
Tough call.

We've even had a few cows that dropped late up here. It is unlikely that their calves will make it through winter this young.

I guess it would come down to where I'm at in the season. Early in the season I would probably let them go, and see if I can't track down a better animal.

Late in the season, if I needed the meat, I would take the shot with a weaned calf.

The late calf, even if I knew it wasn't going to make it, I'd probably still let them go. I just don't have the heart to do it. (I mean, maybe if I was starving to death or something, but not regular "fill the freezer".)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »

Unless you drew some nice multi hunt raffle or something, don't shoot more animals than the amount of tags YOU have.  Shooting an animal for your buddy messes with the system and is likely considered poaching.

It's considered party hunting, which is also illegal.
Stupid comment to make, Bowbender...especially with all the lawmen watching this site.
 :twocents:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »

Unless you drew some nice multi hunt raffle or something, don't shoot more animals than the amount of tags YOU have.  Shooting an animal for your buddy messes with the system and is likely considered poaching.

It's considered party hunting, which is also illegal.
Stupid comment to make, Bowbender...especially with all the lawmen watching this site.
 :twocents:

Ya thats what I thought!  Thanks

Offline BowBender87

• Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001041254815
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »

You mean my tag isnt a punch card?  And what system are you refering to?  The one that is shortening the length of early archery season because early bowhunters harvest to many mature bull elk?  F the system.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]