collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bear area  (Read 3528 times)

Offline zzander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
bear area
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
wondering where people are pulling down bear this year im about to head out this weekend for my first day of the season not sure where to go any ideas?

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: bear area
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:07:15 PM »
how specific do you need? c-post is a good area...heard a lot of good things so far. Some pretty big bears coming out of there....at least one brute of a color phase...

Offline oldleclercrd

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
how specific do you need? c-post is a good area...heard a lot of good things so far. Some pretty big bears coming out of there....at least one brute of a color phase...

Hey this might be your chance to have someone thin some bears out of your area  :chuckle:
Aim small, miss small.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
Yep, I was just up at C-Post....lots of sign, peeled trees. Don't want to give anything away to specific, C-Post isn't THAT well known.....plenty of bears up there and some real big ones. I saw some scat up there...all along the road...should be easy hunting for a slam dunk bruin!

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:12:55 PM »
whats nice about C-post is that once you tag your bear, you can let it cool in the river which is absolutely packed with steelhead right now. one stop shopping at its best.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
whats nice about C-post is that once you tag your bear, you can let it cool in the river which is absolutely packed with steelhead right now. one stop shopping at its best.
  HUH ...LETS GO  :yeah:

Offline padarinsmith

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
Where is C-Post   :dunno:

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »
Yep, I was just up at C-Post....lots of sign, peeled trees. Don't want to give anything away to specific, C-Post isn't THAT well known.....plenty of bears up there and some real big ones. I saw some scat up there...all along the road...should be easy hunting for a slam dunk bruin!

:stirthepot:

:chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
Thats a good point about the steelhead. I always forget to take along my pack rod. If you go about 1/4 mile up from the big sign that says C-Post Turnoff there is a little cut in the brush. You can follow that for oh, maybe 200 yards, come to the creek. there is a great plunking hole where you can set up and actually fish and hunt. You have a clear shot to the hillside across the way. Since there are no gear restrictions you can set up with a corky and bait and just chill. Prop your feet up and watch the hillside. Should't be to long with all the berrys for a bear to come in. The big log serves as a pretty good rest. Once you pop him just drag him down and up stream a bit to the riffle you were talking about soaking the bear in to cool off. Do the knife work and get him cooled off right away.

Also..anyone notice the lack of sows with cubs? Is it just me or does it all seem to be boars. I've seen some small ones and a couple big ones each time but still waiting on that big color phase. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »

Also..anyone notice the lack of sows with cubs? Is it just me or does it all seem to be boars.

and they all come running out of the woodwork if you toot on a wounded rabbit call for about five minutes. usually the later I wake up the more I notice this phenomenon.  in fact I would be willing to bet if you show up at a different spot and don't see a bear after five minutes of calling there probably just aren't any in the area and its best to pack it up and head to C-post.

I find it interesting that C-post bears come so readily to call, since they would pretty much have to be deaf to exist in an area with so many DIY rifle ranges, but then C-post really draws the bruins in for some reason. I guess nature abhors a vacuum, every time a bear gets killed at C-post another gets sucked in... Its hard to believe a bear factory like C-post exists outside of a mall.
 :hello:
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:17:10 AM »
Outside of a mall or capitol hill...hah, thats a funny right there.

You are right about the calls. I swear I've gone in and barely got to fishing, a few tweets on the rabbit call and one comes in. Usually, for me at least, they come from the east side over the top of that hill I mentioned with the berrys. I've seen them hold up at the top searching for the sound and really using their nose. What I think is great about that spot is the riffle up stream a bit (bear cooling spot) really muffles your movement sounds and makes calling that much easier.

I'm going to disagree with you on the timing of calling, I would go a bit longer, maybe double up your 5 min time limit...gotta put your time in...it's not going to come easy you know.

Now the bear vaccume is a good point. I think with all the berrys, fish, and other stuff it just makes sense. There have already been what...6...7...good bears come out of there already and are still some good ones if you just put in your 10 minutes. Simple fact that when the big one comes out another will move in and fill its place.

You know, every now and then you will have company up there. However, now that bow seasons are up and running a guy could have most of that area to himself.

Let us know how it works out Zzander.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
Nothing  else......c'mon! This guy needs some feedback! He wants to kill a bear.

Everyone must be out deer hunting....thats gotta be it.

Offline kckrawler

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
Or they're just pissed that you've given out another one of their honey holes, yet again.

:chuckle:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:04:47 PM by kckrawler »
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
just between us and google... theres always capital forest down by oly, but try and keep it on the DL.

― Jim Harrison

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
There goes another honey hole!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab