collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting GMU 117 & 113  (Read 12059 times)

Offline jaredpilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Hunting GMU 117 & 113
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
Hey guys,

First time elk hunter and I'm trying to gain as much info and knowledge as possible for the upcoming modern firearm season.  I would really like to get a bull and I don't have a raffle tag, so I was looking at the regulations and it appears that GMU 117 and 113 allow any bull.  I'm not to fond of getting a spike, I would rather get a bull or nothing at all.

Curious if any of you guys had any advice for hunting in these areas?  Is there very many Elk in this region?  Suggestion for places to hunt and where not to?  I'm not real familiar with the Northeast section of our state but I'm looking forward to the opportunity and the challenge! 

Thanks for all of your input and info!

Offline elkaholic

• Longhunter
  • Brokenleg elk
Re: Hunting GMU 117 & 113
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
Welcome to the site....

I would highly suggest buying a topo map/gazateer and just getting out. Tough country and some of the favored spots are extremly populated durting rifle season with limited success. Once you see some of the country you would be happy with a spike.......

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
The commonly held wisdom is that they are there, but thin and scattered.  You're a lot closer to 3pt & better bull hunting on the west side that trekking over to NE Washington.  Not that I want more company over here, but I suspect you aren't going to get much info on NE Washington elk off this forum with an approach like this.  I grew up hunting over there, and them boys is pretty particular about who they give their elk info to - and rightfully so.  Probably should go spend the time and money on some scouting over there if you're serious about it.  Then if you have questions, you might get some info. 

If you just want a big bull, join the crowd.  Don't know that there's many elk hunters on here who would complain that a big herd bull just wouldn't get out of the way of their shot at a spike if they had an "any bull" tag in their pocket.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jaredpilot

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »
I'm surely not asking for anyone's hunting spot, just looking for some insight on whether or not I should be hunting elsewhere.  I'm an avid hiker, been hiking the Cascades my whole life but I have little hunting experience.  Looking forward to taking a few friends along for the hunt and it looks like 117 and 113 are the only GMU's that allow "any bull."

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
Fair enough.  Like I said, based on what you're after I'd suggest you hunt elsewhere. Good luck.

KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »
Based on my limited experience Elk hunting 113 in the early muzzleloader season, if the leaves are still on the trees and brush, it's a lost cause.  You'll hear them, but never see them.  Good luck, but I don't think you'll do well in 113 or 117.  There's a reason it's "Any Bull".
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »
There's more elk in some units on the westside, and it's 3 point minimum for bulls. If you just want to go camping and hiking, then go to the NE. If you want to see elk, hunt the westside.

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »
There's more elk in some units on the westside, and it's 3 point minimum for bulls. If you just want to go camping and hiking, then go to the NE. If you want to see elk, hunt the westside.
:tup:

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:43:40 PM »
I have been hunting that area for several years now. There is a reason it is "any bull", cause you are not likely to see one. In the three years I have been up there (deer hunting) I've only ever gotten a couple cows on camera and have not seen one while out yet. If I was going to go elk hunting I would go to the SE corner of the state. A guy I work with has gotten his elk 3 of the last 4 years.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline runningboard

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »
there's been more areas gated & since you said you hike I would be checking into those areas of 113. be forewarned however, I live in 113 & go to Idaho every year. like already been said they're here but good luck finding 'em, 2 ridges over next day, thick brush-choked, etc. etc. not impossible but bring extra socks & prepare to burn some boot leather
Romans 14:2 he who eats only vegetables is weak
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
Stick with 117  :twocents:

Offline jaredpilot

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
Great info guys, I appreciate all of you taking the time to give some of your thoughts.  Is there a lot of public hunting areas in 117?  Anywhere you would start scouting?

Offline jaredpilot

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »
Found a spot I'm interested in learning a bit more about.  Its located in GMU 113, just east of Metaline fall.  Driving  down Sullivan lake rd and then onto RD 2212 which is just prior to Sullivan Lake.  It appears to be a vast amount of logging trails and roads that may lead to potentially some good elk hunting.  Curious if anyone knows if the roads are open? Gated? and or any other general access to the area out there?

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »
Grew up in 113, lived there for...21 years.  It's tough country man, you're going to run into a *censored* ton of people, the area around Sullivan can be decieving.  Stay away from locals haha, we don't take to out of towners running around our stomping grounds too well.  With good reason as a lot of idiots have blown set ups so yea.  Strap up some boots, get you some mole skin and move out if u want a chance at a bull.  They are unpredictable as hell because of the pressure they recieve.

Offline jaredpilot

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
Grew up in 113, lived there for...21 years.  It's tough country man, you're going to run into a *censored* ton of people, the area around Sullivan can be decieving.  Stay away from locals haha, we don't take to out of towners running around our stomping grounds too well.  With good reason as a lot of idiots have blown set ups so yea.  Strap up some boots, get you some mole skin and move out if u want a chance at a bull.  They are unpredictable as hell because of the pressure they recieve.

Thanks for the input!  I completely understand that outsiders are frowned upon.  Nobody wants more competition and I can appreciate that.  I just didn't want to drive 7 hours out there to find out I can't drive down the roads because they are gated etc..I'm not affaid to do some hiking as long as I know there's a chance at finding a bull.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]