collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: #11 Nipple Search - might be over  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
#11 Nipple Search - might be over
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »
For some reason and a reason I do not understand, the more common #11 nipples manufactured today, like the Hot Shot - Red Hot - the post has been reduced in diameter so that it no longer hold #11's snuggly.  In fact the new nipples are so loose simply turning the nipple upside down often ends up with the cap falling off.

I think I have found the answer...

My first attempt was to order some RWS nipples from RMC Sports.  They came in the mail on Tuesday.  They certainly worked better than the more famous brands but in my mind the cap still came of to easy.

So next I went to Track of the Wolf to try some AMPCO produced nipples.... SUCCESS!

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=171&styleID=785&PageSize=25&Page=3

TOW offers both the AMPCO Bronze RST-A and the Stainless RST-I both of these are 1/4x28 for American made rifles – but they do offer the other sizes also.

The nipple I placed on the AMCO in the picture is in place correctly – it fits so well it would be very difficult for water to get under it to contaminate the cap or the powder load.

Downside…. They caps do not come off easily…
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Online Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: #11 Nipple Search - might be over
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
 :tup:  Appreciate all the helpful tips you are giving us!!!
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline beagledog

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
I have in the past taken the nipple and placed it in a vice and tapped the end slightly with a hammer this works just don't whale on it go slowly if you go to much take a file and remove just a mount of material then you can use the nipples the are selling at the sporting good stores

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
You can also just pinch the cap slightly and it will usually stay on quite well.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:47:28 AM »
You can also just pinch the cap slightly and it will usually stay on quite well.

I know that works well with a Musket cap and it is usually necessary, but not so easy to do with a #11 in a capper.  Also the point of the tight fit is to keep the cap water proof on the post, bending or squeezing it would distort it and not keep the water tight integrity.

Part of my search was to find the nipple that would allow a water tight integrity especially with an open breech gun.

I always feel better using the #11 in rain - snow and rotten weather IF it fits the post correctly. And we do get some lousy rotten weather in Nov-Dec...
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline mikep12345

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
So did you order the oversize threaded (ROS-05) or the regular (RST-A)? I noticed that the remington caps seam to fit a little better on the nipple I currently have opposed to the CCI as well. Do you ever use the little plastic cap covers that come in the waterproofing packages (http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=352&osCsid=fb65c861c0f4e555b6e4cbec75c91961) ? My concern with them would be getting it off for a quick follow up shot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal