collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vargo Decagon Stove  (Read 4648 times)

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Vargo Decagon Stove
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
Many may not be interested, but I am gonna keep this in my hunting pack, for a lightweight option for cooking/heating on the go. (Coffee, tea, dehydrated meals, cup-O-soup etc)
I purchased it at REI for about $29 add a bottle of denatured alcohol and you are ready to go.

stats:
wt: 1.2 oz (titanium)
burns denatured alcohol
burn time approx 10-12 min. per fill
It says it will boil 2 cups in 5-6 min. ------Uhhh--I didn't get to boiling, but 175ish. Will definately cook a dehydrated meal.
You can blow it out and pour the alcohol back in the bottle.
Cools very rapidly.
This thing is Light, light,light. burns very little fuel in 10 min. I haven't measured it. But will at some point.
You wont even know this thing is in your pack :twocents:
http://www.rei.com/product/767750/vargo-outdoors-decagon-stove
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:13:42 PM by quadrafire »

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Vargo Decagon Stove
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:17:31 AM »
 :tup:

Looks like a cool little rig.  If I didn't already have my Snow Peak kit, I might consider it.

I wonder how it compares to the snow peak kit once you factor in boil efficiency and the weight of the alcohol, versus a canister type fuel.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:01:22 AM »
I have made a few alcohol burners over the years....gotta love this titanium one here...

Like most all alcohol burners, ya better get some rocks around it to help avoid spills... Most have very little in the way of pot/cup support.....

Thanks for the link.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:53:50 AM »

Like most all alcohol burners, ya better get some rocks around it to help avoid spills... Most have very little in the way of pot/cup support.....

That may help with heat retention as well. I seems pretty stable, but the pot I was using was not very big. I wouldn't want to use anything bigger than in the picture.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
Quadrafire, I run HEET fuel line additive in mine, cheap and works great, the yellow bottle. Easy to get more when you are on the road too...

I also place a sheet of aluminum foil in my kit to wrap the stove area to cut the wind.

Do you think that your stove has enough room to burn an esbit fuel tab in the fuel bowl occasionally instead of alcohol?
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
Quadrafire, I run HEET fuel line additive in mine, cheap and works great, the yellow bottle. Easy to get more when you are on the road too...

I also place a sheet of aluminum foil in my kit to wrap the stove area to cut the wind.

Do you think that your stove has enough room to burn an esbit fuel tab in the fuel bowl occasionally instead of alcohol?
I had heard about the HEET (will pick some up). The foil was something I was gonna add to the kit (it all fits in my pot). I will have to check to see if a feul tab will fit. I'm not looking at it right now, but seems like is about 1inch deep/1 inch wide?
How long do the tabs burn?

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Tabs burn 12 minutes, long enough for a solo cup of water for soup, oatmeal, coffee...  When really cold out and my water is really cold I add a trioxane tab (6 minutes) just as my esbit is running low...
  Esbits burn clean, the trioxane pellets leave crap everywhere, hate them...
Good luck with the stove, looks cool!
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal