collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: Will my dog get sick from eating moldy meat?  (Read 9312 times)

Offline 383man

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
  • Good Times
    • Facebook
Will my dog get sick from eating moldy meat?
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:29:17 AM »
Stupid question right? well, I just want to know if it's as big of a deal as I think it might be, I have a 4 year old boxer, and last night I found a ziplock in the back of the fridge that had part of a pork loin in it from a while back that had mold spores starting on it, so I tossed it in the trash, didn't think twice about it, then this morning I wake up for work, and that ziplock is on the floor ripped open, and empty, So he helped himself to some moldy pork. Do dogs have stronger immune systems or should I take him to the vet? He's my buddy and I don't want him getting sick, but also don't want to pay 100 bucks for a vet to say "he'll be fine" ya know.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Will my dog get sick from eating moldy meat?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:55:18 AM »
Dogs don't really have a stronger immune system than use, but have a different immune system and a much shorter and striaghter digestive system than us.  In simple terms, they poop out problems fast and simple.

Keep an eye on your buddy, but he will probably be fine

Offline jyerxa

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »
Dogs are pretty resilient. He could end up puking a bit, lay down and not feel very well for a day or two. Fur might feel matted. The call is yours to make. I hate it when my dogs get sick but they do. Kind of like kids do. Keep water out for him and take him outside when he wants too. If it is worth a visit to the vet? you bet if it only means to clear you mind. Good luck.
times before with just leather, wool and cotton.

Offline runamuk

• YAR princess
  • Off-Topics
  • Explorer
  • HI
    • https://www.facebook.com/rori.budden
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:04:55 AM »
usually if they are gonna get sick from food it happens fairly quickly...so you woulda woke to empty ziplock and a vomit and/or diarrhea covered house ....

I have had dogs eat some pretty rank things and be just fine....just make sure lots of water and access to outside and keep an eye on the dog.

I had my borzoi eat an entire ham bone and all and wash it down with a margarita and she didnt so much as belch...that dog was naughty and I miss her ...was my fault I left it in a pan on the stove to cool after dinner and then had to go outside an deal with kids....

and my german shepherd ate all sorts of garbage and livestock feed regularly he was a bad bad garbage hound
princess sky marshal of the YKWTSASFFRO......

Dirt

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:06:55 AM »
My hounds end up in rotten salmon every year, they eat it roll in it and come back to the truck thinkin they just hit the jack pot. As far as eating the rotten meat they never get sick, aside from getting  rickettsia from the salmon they never get sick just from eating the rotton meat.
Hunting hounds since 1993

Offline MP123

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
Gotta watch that raw salmon, that can be bad news for dogs.  Moldy pork might give him a brief case of the runs but he'll be fine.

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:15:28 AM »
he should be fine.  he may get the runs though................................ :yike:

Offline SkookumJeff

• Off-Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
My hounds end up in rotten salmon every year, they eat it roll in it and come back to the truck thinkin they just hit the jack pot. As far as eating the rotten meat they never get sick, aside from getting  rickettsia from the salmon they never get sick just from eating the rotton meat.

Had a relative that lost his springer from eating rotten salmon.  Dog got into it while he was fishing.  For those unfamiliar with this here is a link for more info.  Personally I'd not let my dog eat rotten salmon but hey, that's just me.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/salmon.aspx

Skook
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:13:08 AM by SkookumJeff »

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
the dog might not get sick, but YOU probably will when he starts farting!

Offline 383man

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
  • Good Times
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
the dog might not get sick, but YOU probably will when he starts farting!

Lol, he's a boxer, that's nothing new, he farts in his sleep and makes you wanna puke in your mouth a bit. well he's fine, he's still running around at a hundred miles an hour so should be ok :) He never tears into the trash, but if you leave something tasty looking at the top he'll pick it out and steal that one thing...thinks he's pretty sneaky

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »
Salmon disease is bad news for dogs. I do everything I can to keep my dog away from rotten or any raw salmon for that matter.

Had a relative that lost his springer from eating rotten salmon.  Dog got into it while he was fishing.  For those unfamiliar with this here is a link for more info.  Personally I'd not let my dog eat rotten salmon but hey, that's just me.

Skook

Thats just me too.
" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »

Rickettsia is salmon poisoning, its actually a bacteria that salmon cary and you dog can get it from just licking the water off its hide that has had salmon die in the water. I never said it was ok for dog's to eat dead salmon but for a dog to eat rotten meat isnt the worst thing in the world. Every hound I have owned has had salmon piosoning and every hound I ever will own will get it as well not a big deal if you know how to treat it, it takes about three days and the dog is as good as new.

Offline Klyne3

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
  • Country Girls Don't Retreat - They Just Reload
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »
My dog ate the bait from a fly trap thankfully she was ok but stunk to high heaven for about a week - didnt matter what we fed her, how many times we gave her a bath nothing made a difference. Lliterally had to wear off and out of her system - it was worse smell I have ever had off one of my dogs. But with my vet if I call with a question they can usually answer me right over the phone unless they are really concerned about it.

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »
My dog ate the bait from a fly trap thankfully she was ok but stunk to high heaven for about a week - didnt matter what we fed her, how many times we gave her a bath nothing made a difference. Lliterally had to wear off and out of her system - it was worse smell I have ever had off one of my dogs. But with my vet if I call with a question they can usually answer me right over the phone unless they are really concerned about it.

Thats a really good vet, I have a hard time getting help over the phone.They allways want the $$$$

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 04:59:23 AM »
My dog used to keep the kitty litter box all nice and cleaned out, would eat other dogs crap, cat crap, lick up bird crap, eat dead slugs, lick out just about any food can or any other nasty food container that he could get his bad little doggy paws around. 

We had to put him down at 18 1/2 years of age.

Your results may vary.

Gawd I still miss him badly.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

Views: 1004
Posted by: bear
in: New album

* Recent Topics

WILD.....the movie by ghosthunter
[Today at 07:43:29 AM]

***I can't believe no one wants to move to Cle elum, for a good job! by rosscrazyelk
[Today at 07:39:33 AM]

Bigfoot by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:39:07 AM]

Best piece of gear that you added in 2014 by pianoman9701
[Today at 07:38:10 AM]

What is a YAR? by PlateauNDN
[Today at 07:34:19 AM]

hybrid by bhawley76
[Today at 07:31:28 AM]

"Free" Hunter's Lotto (sponsored by RR Calls) by Kyle1112
[Today at 07:31:16 AM]

5TH ANNUAL 2014 HUNT-WA GIFT EXCHANGE *list on first page* by h20hunter