collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Misfires suck. My solution.  (Read 2736 times)

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
Misfires suck. My solution.
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
I've been archery hunting for last six years but muzzle loader hunted for the ten years previous. I hunted with the traditional hawken rifle, black powder and reg primers. My first five years I was plagued with misfires and missed a lot of animals which obviously sucked. One day I shot at a buck, then reloaded to finish him off & my gun misfired. I removed the nipple & there was no powder visible. Since that day every time I loaded my gun I would remove the nipple & poor a very small amount of FFF into hole. I carried FFF in small flask. For the next five years I never misfired once. Just thought I would pass that on, I have not read about misfires on here, pass on your own advice.

Offline Sagedawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Misfires suck. My solution.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Knock on wood no misfires while huting, but a few when out shooting. I carry torch tip cleaners that I get from our weld shop to clean the nipples. These are ridged all around the shank, and come with different diameters. After I load and before I put a cap on I run the cleaner through the nipple a few times , and then put on my cap. Works like a charm.

Sage

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Misfires suck. My solution.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 11:33:44 PM »
I've been archery hunting for last six years but muzzle loader hunted for the ten years previous. I hunted with the traditional hawken rifle, black powder and reg primers. My first five years I was plagued with misfires and missed a lot of animals which obviously sucked. One day I shot at a buck, then reloaded to finish him off & my gun misfired. I removed the nipple & there was no powder visible. Since that day every time I loaded my gun I would remove the nipple & poor a very small amount of FFF into hole. I carried FFF in small flask. For the next five years I never misfired once. Just thought I would pass that on, I have not read about misfires on here, pass on your own advice.

Haven't hunted with a ML for several years, but your experience mirrors mine.  First shot at game I ever took, a whitetail doe, was a misfire.  After I started doing just as you describe, never had it happen ever again.  Good job posting a good tip Mike!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal