collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WA management critics can crank up the volume  (Read 18791 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: WA management critics can crank up the volume
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »

"There is science both ways on the 4 pt restriction, only time will tell us if it works or don't work in NE WA. "

JUST LIKE " We have to vote on it so we can see what's in it".. ie the Obama Health Care Plan.  You bet people changed areas because of the 4 point restriction. Talked to some first hand. Others tried it and stated they won't be back until it is changed.As far as Douvia is concerned he is great on Wolves but pushes his and large landowners agenda on deer hunting.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »
I think it's bull. I get out and hunt, there's lots of deer out there. The big bucks are there and there not big for being dumb. Even back in the 70's when I first started hunting, I didn't see the big ones until the rut.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2011, 04:30:37 AM »

That is unfortunate that she was so bummed, but we have to remember to teach them there is more to hunting than killing something.  We need to teach them the value of a healthy herd as well.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for youth opportunity (I have 3 kids of my own), but we have to draw a line between offering opportunity while ensuring the overall herd numbers can support the opportunity.

This may seem brutal, but this is part of the problem, not the solution.
Let me translate: "but we have to remember to teach them there is more to hunting than killing something."

Yes, we have to remember to teach them that in Washington, there is camping with guns and you should be programmed to pay for and expect disappointment year after year after year.

The WDFW drew the line for you and instead of opportunity, they opted for watchable wildlife and walking wolf food and tribal gluttony, and too many people in our ranks who have the "we need to learn to get along with less" attitude helped them do it.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2011, 05:31:44 AM »
 :yeah:
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:48 AM »
:yeah:

I agree well said Muleyguy. IMHO permit only is an inevitable thing in this state. Unfortunately I might add.  But... I would rather have permit only hunt every 2-3 years and have awsome hunting and a healthy herd, than no restrictions a poor herd and hunt every year and so little to no legal deer.

Then save your money up, don't hunt washington, and buy your tags for montana every 2-3 years.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »

That is unfortunate that she was so bummed, but we have to remember to teach them there is more to hunting than killing something.  We need to teach them the value of a healthy herd as well.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for youth opportunity (I have 3 kids of my own), but we have to draw a line between offering opportunity while ensuring the overall herd numbers can support the opportunity.

Let me translate: "but we have to remember to teach them there is more to hunting than killing something."

Yes, we have to remember to teach them that in Washington, there is camping with guns and you should be programmed to pay for and expect disappointment year after year after year.

The WDFW drew the line for you and instead of opportunity, they opted for watchable wildlife and walking wolf food and tribal gluttony, and too many people in our ranks who have the "we need to learn to get along with less" attitude helped them do it.

Right on Dave!!!  Could not have said it better myself.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2011, 07:18:26 AM »

I don't have a "we need to learn to get along with less" attitude Dave, that's an unfair accusation and my comments on this forum will attest to that.  And frankly, if I didn't see your insinuation that I somehow helped the WDFW create watchable wildlife, walking wolf food, and tribal gluttony as nothing more than an extremely uninformed statement made by someone who is confused about who to be mad with, I'd tell you where to go  :tup:

I have a lot of respect for you.  I enjoy your readings and I thoroughly appreciate your voice for us as sportsmen.  Your comment about me isn't brutal, but it is one of the most inaccurate thing you've ever written.

Allow me to explain what I meant by my statement.  I have 3 sons.  When they begin hunting, I'm not going to push them so hard to kill something that they get frustrated and want to quit and come home if they don't.  I'm going to make it an enjoyable experience for them as best I can.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:56:36 AM by CedarPants »

Offline brackens

• Past Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
The biggest question is if this is good for 121 and 117, why not 124?  The deer on the east side of 231 are ok?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
I depend on hunting for my living, but I can see this herd needs help and I'm willing to forego personal gain if it will help the herd. I agree with CedarPants, it should be about the expereince too and not just the kill with our youth. I think everyone wants to see more youth opportunity in theses units as soon as possible. The purpose is to help the herd, not to deprive our youth.

The NE needs help, not only these two units but others as well. At least we will be able to compare management strategies in a few years and be able to see what works best.

I do find it disappointing that certain individuals are determined to cast those who are the most concerned in a false bad light.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline wence5

• Longhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
I need to get a copy of WA states draft wolf management plan, because if what I heard today is correct,  when they get to the numbers of breeding pairs of wolves that are being proposed,you'll be lucky to see a big game animal, period.  Perhaps that's the ultimate goal??? :dunno:
[/quote]

If that is the end game, then government is serving one special interest group and not the good wildlife as a whole. Seems that the needs of the few out weight the needs of the many. Add cougar over population to the mix and you have the recipe for the extinction of deer and elk herds in just a few years.
I wonder how many hunters will take care of this problem through "shoot, shovel, and shut up" ?
The worst day hunting is better than any day at work!

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
wence5 you will find plenty of info on the wolf board...
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
I get Negative when ever there is an issue. I would say my main issue is the WDFW doesn't provide any leadership. They are like a rudderless ship in a storm. I feel that they are mostly reactive instead of proactive... Without a unified voice  from hunters i think all they see is us squabbling with ourselves, so how can they make us happy? (From their prospective).
If they were more aggressive with the predator issues in genera,l then we might feel like they are working with us  even if we disagree with the details...

I think this is slightly ironic... I had this discussion with my father the other day. We were discussing how we need to prioritizes our spending on stuff for work... after arguing back and forth he looked at me and said... If we sold a little more we could just do it all! we both had a chuckle...      If the WDFW focused on growing the pie across the board then the details wouldn't matter quite so much.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:32:28 PM by Special T »
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline gunparts

• Pilgrim
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »
bearpaw I live around Clayton and there are more deer then ever, i have heard from alot of people that they are not hunting due to this 4 pt rule, seems to me that getting rid of some does would be a good thing cut down on alot of road kill on 395 as well.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
bearpaw I live around Clayton and there are more deer then ever, i have heard from alot of people that they are not hunting due to this 4 pt rule, seems to me that getting rid of some does would be a good thing cut down on alot of road kill on 395 as well.

That's interesting, I wonder if that high deer abundance is a local thing around your place, I'm not positive but it seems that I heard the deer counts were off the most in the Clayton area?  :dunno:

I do remember for that the buck/doe ratio was the lowest in the Clayton area of all the transect counts last year. Do you think the deer numbers are at a high level compared to historic levels 5 to 20 years ago, or is there just more traffic to hit deer today verses prior years?

Offline sebek556

• Frontiersman
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
I think the numbers in 121-117 will rebound due to this rule.. they may rebound only because it pushed hunters into other areas I am not sure.My dad has been hunting dnr land pretty much everyday since bowseason(has a multi-tag) and the hunter amount has drasticly dropped, with most of them being people who came there because they figured 4pt only there has to be tons of big bucks only to leave out disappointed. He did drop a 350lb black bear sow a few days ago(sorry no pics) But I do not ever see it going back to any buck, If it does go back to any buck I fear there will be a flood of hunters to the area.  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]