collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whitetail scents and calls?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline wreckerman5357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Whitetail scents and calls?
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:12:50 PM »
I am headed up north of Spokane for my first late hunt this weekend and I have a few questions. I have always hunted early seasons the early bow and general modern firearm seasons around Dayton, Walla Walla, and on the Palouse. I am not to familar with late season tactics and the use of scents and calls. My buddy bought a grunt tube and some doe piss, I was thinking about getting a rattle bag as well. The thing is I have never used any of this stuff, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know its last minute, but it was kind of a last minute deal when we decided to do the late hunt after our carefully planned general season hunt was a bust.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Whitetail scents and calls?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
Sorry for the "it depends" answer, but, it depends.  Some people will say the see the deer rutting. I've hunted the same stretch of public land in NE WA for working on 15 years. Only back in the days when the hunt lasted out to the 22nd or 23rd did I ever see real rut.

Some people swear every year that the rut is on, so it seems a little bit variable by area. The amount of pressure your area has is going to play a big part in whether rattling and grunting "work".  We've had a little success are turning a deer with a grunt but little or no success at rattling.  We hunt in an area of decent pressure. Others on here over the years report some success at rattling.

Bottom line, I doubt the scents are going to pull them in. Rut is not really starting until Thanksgiving week. Rattling, big maybe with the better odds in unpressured areas. Grunts, see rattling.  For these hunts I think it's more important to find good sign and hunt it with the patience of Job.  A good rub/scrape line along a ridge, mid ridge bench or creek bottom. Find that and sit tight.

Offline wreckerman5357

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
My plan is to find myself a saddle or a creek bottom and park there all morning and for the evening I will do the same. This will be a good scouting trip to get me familar with the area in case I have to hunt late season. A buck would be a nice bonus though.

Thanks for the info Colville.

Offline jnevs23

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:38:31 PM »
I agree with colville. Likely going to be getting pre-rut behavior.  I don't have much confidence with rattling so if I  do,it's 20 or so minutes before I plan on moving to another area. I figure maybe I get lucky and if it sounds terrible I'm leaving soon anyway.  I don't see how hanging some doe in heat scent off a couple trees would hurt your chances, I just wouldn't expect the same results as later in the year

Offline NWBREW

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:05:55 AM »

Bottom line, I doubt the scents are going to pull them in. Rut is not really starting until Thanksgiving week.   

For these hunts I think it's more important to find good sign and hunt it with the patience of Job.  A good rub/scrape line along a ridge, mid ridge bench or creek bottom. Find that and sit tight.

I strongly disagree with the first part. I always use scent when hunting the late hunt.......always.I also always carry a grunt tube. If anything it's to stop them when they get jittery. An extra 5 seconds may be all you need and you might get it. I have seen (during many seasons) Bucks chasing does and caring about little else. Is it the peak rut?.....no, but it has started. The best days for me are around the 17th-19th of November. (My season closes every year on the 19th). I have hunted the same square 10 miles every year for the last 20+ years and have killed many very nice bucks.

I do agree with the second part though. Scrap lines are the way to go. Find a good one and sit tight. The biggest Whitetail I have ever killed I caught walking in on a scrapeline not more then 20 min after spraying a good amount of doe in heat.

I'll just go back 6 or 7 years....(not counting eyeguards)  :chuckle:
3x3 buck-   walking a scrape line. pm
3x3 buck-   running out in a meadow (this guy was confused)  :chuckle: . pm
3x4 buck-  walking a rub line. am
3x4 buck-  chasing a doe. (he stopped 30 yards in front of me broadside)  :dunno: am
3x3 buck- chasing a doe. pm
4x4 buck- walking a scrape line. pm
3x4 buck- bedded down in a clearcut.....middle of the day.  :dunno:

I do agree that this is a pre rut......but sometimes it comes on strong. I too have had zero luck rattling.

Good luck. Get a grunt tube and some scent.......just in case.  :chuckle:
Just one more day

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:28:40 AM »
 Rattling is such a funny thing. You really have to be convinced it works to make it work. In the last ten years hunting northern ID and NW MT (which is virtually the same terrain as NE WA) I've rattled in between 2-15 bucks per season. If that method interests you I bet you could make it happen.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal