collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help! Need Ideas  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Klyne3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Country Girls Don't Retreat - They Just Reload
Help! Need Ideas
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
Ok so I decided to get my female spayed. She did great and when I brought her home the vet said to keep her calm for the next 10 days - no jumping, running, rough housing. Problem is in order to keep her from doing any of that I am having to either keep her on a leash or crating her. She is soooo bored and is constantly crying when she is in her crate. I have giving her chew toys to try to keep her a little bit busy but it's not helping much. We typically play fetch, tag and just have fun for at least an hour or more a day. I have been taking her on short walks depending on how she moving. Does anyone have any idea's what else I can do to try to keep her entertained and a little happier?

Offline Donaye37

• Houndsman
  • Hunter
  • "life comes at you...not with you."
Re: Help! Need Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
rawhide or something edible that takes her a long time to gnaw on threw the day where she can just sit and chew and be happy. or idk if this will work with your hound but with mine, if she gets too roudy in the house, ill take her to a field or somewhere and keep her on leash for a little while so she doesnt run around and then when she starts just sniffing the ground and busy with that i let her off leash and just let her nose go wild for a bit. she is so occupied with smells she just walks around the field instead of running around the field.
im just a country boy..hunting with hounds and training horses.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
Ok so I decided to get my female spayed. She did great and when I brought her home the vet said to keep her calm for the next 10 days - no jumping, running, rough housing. Problem is in order to keep her from doing any of that I am having to either keep her on a leash or crating her. She is soooo bored and is constantly crying when she is in her crate. I have giving her chew toys to try to keep her a little bit busy but it's not helping much. We typically play fetch, tag and just have fun for at least an hour or more a day. I have been taking her on short walks depending on how she moving. Does anyone have any idea's what else I can do to try to keep her entertained and a little happier?

For her own good you just got to do the rough love thing, otherwise she can hurt herself until she properly heals.  Leash or crate until she heals is the best advice I can give.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Klyne3

• Scout
  • Country Girls Don't Retreat - They Just Reload
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
Thanks guys! for the most part she is having to stay crated because she is getting to excited. But now she has taken to flinging her chew bone at the crate door, whining and staring at me  :chuckle: I can't wait for her to be healed up so she can run. When we go for walks she does follow her nose a bit but it's the birds that capture her attention and she wants them bad. I did buy a kong toy so I can fill it with treats and she has to work at getting them out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]