collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: lake chelan rec area  (Read 4136 times)

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
lake chelan rec area
« on: July 08, 2007, 04:44:21 PM »
any info on the lake chelan high hunt? I was scopeing out this weekend on the twisp side.....looks pretty decent. any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
GREG

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: lake chelan rec area
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:21:19 PM »
I don't know if you have ever hunted it before, or what your capabilities are, but I highly recommend going with a drop camp. Brian Verrelian (I don't know how to spell his last name) out of Alta Lake (I think the place is called Whistling Pine Resort and his outfitting business is in the Washing Guide directory, I think it's North Cascade Outfitters) is very reputable and affordable.

You can hike in, but the time of the year for this hunt can go from 70 degree to snowing overnight. There are a good number of bears in the area as well, so make sure you take a bear tag. Don't be fooled, this is big and dangerous country. I grew up in Chelan and worked for the initail attack team in 95'.

The deer are still spread out, as you would be hunting the high county mulies, in their summer range. Don't expect to see tons of deer each day, and another hint for ya...use the thermals to your advantage. Get to a good vantage point in a basin before first light, and glass for the first full hour for deer activity...they will bed down, wait for the afternoon thermals (blow uphill/upgulch) and work your way down to them. In the evenning, set up the spotting scope again, and watch the animals. Once you "blow" them out, don't expect any mature buck to come back to the same spot...he will go to his "safety spot" and stay there for several days.

Good luck
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]